Topic

THE PCT… FOR ME?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique THE PCT… FOR ME?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

@ DM, 10-K, Dan and all who hiked the PCT with fairly regular mileage. What were your big gear items and any challegenges (for your own gear or other hikers — especially those who experienced "stupid light")?

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Pack: Once I slimmed everything down and the heavy water carries were done I switched to a SMD flight 40. I used a McHale for the heaviest water carries.
    Shelter: Started with a Cuben tarp, love love loved it in the hot parts but switched to a Big Agnes Fly creek UL 1 for the convenience of freestanding and the warmth as I am a cold sleeper.
    Sleep system: this is where I discovered I am not a quilt person. Used a WM Alpiinelight for most of trail but did use a feathered friends viero for the hottest sections in June and July. I got rid of my inflatable pad and used a zlite and got used to hard surfaces.
    Cooking: Used the JetBoil Ti for all of California. Used esbit for Oregon and Washington as it's shippable and lightweight and I never had to hunt for fuel bottles or heet.

You will find when you reach your personal "leveling" or refining of your whole kit you are willing to make compensations for what you require.
    I pared down everything else so I could be warm and sheltered when I needed it because if I didn't not sleep well I was toast for the next day and it became a sufferfest.
    So in the end I carry only what I need and not one item more and no duplicates except an extra lighter.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I need to clarify the "stupid light" remark.
    It was my observation, many times on the PCT that during times of such as an approaching storm or high winds that accompany the edges of storms it was essential that people have prior experience erecting Cuben tents and other models and in choosing spots to use them. On the trail it is not always possible to have the landscape to enhance the shelter (which I believe is one of the original tenants of the inventors of Cuben tents and tarps), and as a result of not being able to erect the tents, like the hexamid which is very popular, people ended up taking shelter under trees and boulders, wrapping themselves in their quilts and tents and as a result suffering a thorough soaking and the approach of hypothermia. This IS NOT the fault of the equipment but the result of inexperience. I also witnessed emergency rescue services picking up the slack. Same thing with water purification, I met half a dozen people that felt they could defy nature by not carrying the means to treat and just "acclimate" their bodies to drinking any water source, which IMO is very foolish. By the way I did not see them past the 400 mile mark.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools