Topic

Softshell climbing jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Softshell climbing jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Locale: Gothenburg, Sweden

I'm always having trouble finding clothes that fit me properly(long arms, slim waist…) and finally took the matter in my own hands. Finished this jacket a couple of weeks ago, second garment I've made and it turned out really good. A bit heavier than most stuff normally featured here but I do a lot of mixed climbing so I need rugged gear.

softshell2

Softshell1

softshell3

More details and pictures on my blog

http://vikingalpinism.blogspot.se/2013/12/i-fucking-love-this-softshell-jacket.html

Edvin

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

This is an amazing work of art. What fabric was used?

edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Thank you!

The darker blue came from extremetextil.de (now out of stock in that color)
    http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Softshell-04-thin-threelayer-impregnated-insulating::884.html

And the lighter blue from Rockywoods
    http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Durable-Stretch-Woven-Fabrics/Schoeller-Stretch-Woven-Classic-Blue

Chris Stafford

@chrisman2013

That piece looks seriously amazing. I can't believe it's the first garment you've made especially using your own pattern. When are you going to start taking orders??

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

Really beautiful jacket, I hope you're extremely proud of your self.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great photos too. Showing the fit with your arms extended and reaching tells a great deal. Nice job!

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Just wow.

That's some crazy good work there.

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

Really really nice. If you had said, look at this new design by Arc'teryx I would have believed you! Interesting hood design…exterior elastic? do you have more detailed photos of that/comments on that?

edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Chris Stafford – Studying engineering and design at Uni right now, got one and a half year left. Who knows what happens then? :)

Dale Wambaugh – Thanks! Visual information is often better than text, I can write all day long(as the blog length indicates…) "but a picture says more than 1000…." :)

Adrian Mitchell – Wow, thanks alot! Arc'teryx is one of few companies that I think do a really good job so being compared to them is nice!

What I meant about the drawcords is simply that the cord-lock and cord end is on the outside of the jacket where it can be reached and adjusted without having to open up the zipper first. Some manufacturers put the lock and end on the inside, gives the jacket a bit cleaner look but isn't very user friendly.

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

I see. Just in the top photo it looks like there is elastic running around the back of your head, on the outside of the hood.

Arc'teryx is a great brand. I have a couple of jackets by them, and in general, its very rare that i see or use an outdoor product and I think, there is nothing I think could have been done better. I actually have an arc'teryx alpha sl shell, which is one of the ones with foam in the waist. it is handy under a harness, but the jacket also isnt as long as yours. that jacket is on its last legs though, so this winter I plan on making a replacement. really light eVent or medium weight Pro Shell is the question.

Adie

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Really nice-looking work, well done.

Is there any chance you could change the URL of your web page, though; our work net nanny doesn't like the naughty word, and won't let me see the page…

I do all those sorts of tests when I'm trying on jackets; what's the arm raise hem & cuff pull like? Can I reach the back of my harness? Can I cross my arms across my chest…

The only thing I might have done differently would have been to have put chest pocket zips in the seam between the side panel and the front, giving a more accessible, but discreet pocket.

Looks like the engineering & design skills are working very nicely for you… ;-)

edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Aha, sorry! I misunderstood you. There is a second drawcord on the back of the hood. The draw cord around the face opening only really closes that opening, it doesn't make the hood any smaller. Since the hood is quite big on this jacket to fit over a helmet it flops around when I'm not wearing one.

The drawcord on the back really reduces the volume of the hood så it stays put when I'm not wearing a helmet.

EDIT: Forgot to add image

softshell5

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

how the hell do you sew that softish rubbery material?how do you cut and measure?i cant believe you can do that at home-that is awesome and very creative.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools