Topic

Sleeping on a cold night. How would you configure..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping on a cold night. How would you configure..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

You have:

30F quilt
    down jacket
    windshirt
    thin torso base layer
    thin leg base layer

Its a clear, cold night around 20* F.

What would be the ideal way to layer these items to stay comfortable, dry, warm?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

In the order you list them quilt last and hope that works. I'd say for the longer, winter nights, it may not be enough. I've been out in the *Fall with a 15F bag and needed my synthetic Golite jacket over me and was fine, but the ground was not frozen yet. Only a short, NeoAir under me.
    Duane
    PS: *night temp was 4F, creek froze over too.

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

I had to do 2 nights of a less extreme version of that (30 degree nights with a 40 degree quilt) and I went base layer / mid layer / windshirt / synthetic jacket / quilt / bivy. Hiking pants over my longjohns and two pairs of socks. The ground was frozen but I had a torso ccf, a torso prolite and my pack under my legs. It worked

Edited because I'm not that badass

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"I had to do 2 nights of a less extreme version of that – 30 degree nights with a 40 degree quilt"

Dude… if you slept in -30* in a 40* quilt, you have my vote as BAMF of the year! Of course if the "-" is just used for transition purposes, then maybe not so much but still good on you for getting that kind of mileage out of your gear.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Yikes, -30!

:)

My only thought on the OP is that I would get cold without something more on my legs.

I did a 36 degree night in my 40 degree bag and my upper body was fine (beanie, lightweight base and a fleece) but my legs in a light base layer and wool socks were cold and it was an uncomfortable night in the woods… should've put on my rain pants in retrospect.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Sticking to what you have listed:

30F quilt
    down jacket
    windshirt
    thin torso base layer
    thin leg base layer

From in to out,

Torso: I'd wear torso base layer, windshirt (to avoid compressing the down jacket), down jacket, and quilt.

Legs/feet: baselayer and whatever pants you were wearing.

Drifting away from what you've mentioned above:

Hopefully you have some kind of shell with you. Even if it's eVent or goretex, I like to wear it under my down sweater. While an imperfect VBL, I find that it works better for me this way this way and it still traps some moisture (every little bit helps imo).

I use a waterproof pack liner. I will put my feet inside of it during the cooler nights to help keep the tootsies warm.

At 20* I'm starting to sleep with my water. You can use a .5oz Esbit tablet to warm up a liter of water and throw it down by your feet.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

James, you need to delete the "dash" and replace it with a semicolon or similar. Although I will admit, I figured it out :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"What would be the ideal way to layer these items to stay comfortable, dry, warm?"

Not going to happen.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I'm with ian. Shell near body.

I like to put puffy layers over my legs instead of wearing them. Torso 'makes heat' puffy jacket over legs keeps it in your body throughout the bag. I'll take my puffy jacket and put my feet in the sleeves and have the hem point towards my head. (Upside down/ collar away from head)

That way your shell will give you a ghetto vbl on your torso and your puffy will keep your legs warm. It evens it out.

Ymmv

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I routinely take a 40f quilt (Katabatic Chisos wide) with 2z overfill down into the low 20's. On my legs are a light base layer and wind/rain pants. On my feet MYOG fleece booties and socks with stuff sacks on over that. Upper body is light base layer, wind shirt, rain shell (if I have it), and then my Golite Bitterroot. I find that I sleep warmer if I don't wear the jacket but drape it over me under the quilt, unfortunately I can't use the hood effectively so I have to add a down balaclava. This is all atop a full length down filled airmat.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Interesting idea of using packliner as a vapor barrier over the feet. Never thought about that..

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Interesting idea of using packliner as a vapor barrier over the feet."

I learned this trick early on in the Army using the issued wet weather bag. My feet were always cold in the winter, even when sleeping with the boots on, and I really found that this helped. The nice thing about going to the field as part of a platoon is that there are 30 other guys who are there to make fun of you when you're sniveling and who will later offer tips on what worked for them when they went through the same thing.

You can get the same benefit by wearing a pair of liner socks, bread bag, and then insulating sock over that. I always use a pack liner regardless of the weather forecast so it's a multi use item for me and one that I know will work.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

2 sleeping pads (or a high r value inflatable)

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Justin beat me to it! Methinks you have left out the most important part of the "configuration". What sleeping pad? That is actually the foundation (no pun intended), not an afterthought.

I can tell you that for any configuration you are gonna be very unhappy if you are sleeping on the ground. Moving up from there the other stuff that you need, minimum at least, would depend a lot on how beefy your pad is, so it is actually essential. I would venture to state it more dramatically, that if your pad is not sufficient there is probably no reasonable set of layers, however thick, to fix that since you will be compressing them (and hence lowering/removing a significant amount of their insulation) right where you touch the pad. So the proper way to think about it is (1) is my pad thick *enough* and then only (2) what layers do I need.

As to what layers to use, people's experience here is golden! I don't think it actually matters the order except for this rule – make sure you get minimum compression of the inner layers from any outer layer you put on since the compression will cut down the insulation. Thought the VB effect will be better next to the skin (less volume to humidify) I find wearing my rain jacket on the outside does a good job too. This is an old chestnut, but you can also put you feet inside your pack as a VB substitute, especially if it is a frameless one.

My personal experience, based on the fact that I am a cold sleeper, and also a wimp that hates being cold (perhaps my Mediterranean genes) and not a BAMF like many here, I find that if my head, hands and feet are not toasty nothing else matters. So when cold is an issue I have a down balaclava, down booties and down mittens, net weight about 4 oz, about the same as one of the base layers. Packs to nothing in my bag. I suspect this would allow me to pair back on my other insulation significantly if I were to experiment. However, see wimp admission above. LOL

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

John could you expound on your MYOG project or did you find it on a thread here…

"On my feet MYOG fleece booties and socks with stuff sacks on over that."

Are the stuff sacks duel purpose on the trip or dedicated and vapor barrier material…

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

my mistake. you won't even find me outside at negative 30

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

this is the way to go, otherwise you're compressing the insulation that you are sleeping on top of. also, pull the arms through the jacket or drape the jacket inside out so that you get the benefit of the extra insulation. if the hood unsnaps, i'd take it off and wear it on my head. if not, i'd tuck it underneath like the arms. depending ou your pack you can slip your feet in for an additional layer or you can put your pack underneath your legs and feet. i'd be wearing the wind shirt over my base layer and have my pants on in addition to the base layer. i'm guessing your legs will be cool/cold, but i can sleep with cold legs if my head and torso are warm. as mentioned above, your sleeping pad(s) will be of primary importance. a lot of you "comfort" will be influenced by the down jacket you are bringing. and while my knowledge of physics on this subject is pretty weak, it's my understanding that a tarp between you and the sky will reduce black body radiation. depending on a number of factors, the above is more of a, what if i got caught out in the cold, not a, this is what i'm planning to do. if i was planning on this i'd have more leg insulation and depending on the jacket more torso insulation. and we haven’t even discussed your head.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

No mention of mat, head covering or dry fluffy socks. All three are vital in order of listing.

If the windshirt is just light fabric, I might put it over the quilt to keep drafts off the shell. Otherwise, all of the items, in order listed.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Its a clear, cold night around 20* F."

"What would be the ideal way to layer these items to stay comfortable, dry, warm?"

30F quilt
    windshirt
    down jacket
    thin torso base layer, in that order, assuming your windshirt provides enough space for the down jacket. That said, what do you have for your head AND feet? Most quilts don't have a hood, and covering your head will be critical at 20 degrees. Also, your feet will need to be insulated. If it were me, given the skimpy gear you list, I'd also build a fire and sleep as close as possible to it, and have enough wood piled next to you to keep it going all night if necessary. Another question: What kind of pad do you have under you? That is another point of exposure at 20 degrees. Maybe gather some brush and pine boughs to augment your pad if it is too thin, assuming you're not in a wilderness area. Otherwise be prepared to stay up and keep that fire going. My 2 cents. I got caught in almost exactly that situation down in Kern Canyon a few years back, when it dropped to 19 overnight. I had a WM Highlite and not much more insulation than you list, although I did have a bivy bag. By 4 AM, I was on the verge of building a fire, but managed to squeak thru until dawn with a Prolite 3 48" pad underneath. I wouldn't cut it that close again, and would go to the fire sooner.

Edited for garment sequence error.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I spent a pretty chilly 28F night under my 40 quilt last February. It was 34 when I went to bed at 8pm too, so it was quite chilly all night.

Just light baselayer on legs, and driduck bottoms, and melanzana fleece hoody up top, with fleece beanie under it. Glove liners too. I was inside my GG "The one" which is pretty airy.

I was on a 1/8" GG thinlight with another 1/2" GG torso light.

Upper body was OK. Legs were COLD. Feet were REALLY COLD.
    I wrapped my driducks jacket around my feet and that added maybe a degree or two of warmth. It was enough to feel, and it was welcome. But my legs were cold the whole night.

Sleeping on side was noticably warmer feeling than back as well. Heat was clearly and noticeably being lost upwards.

I was quite glad to get up when the sun came up, and start moving around.

With down pants and booties, I would have been comfortable. Add a down jacket, and I would have been cozy down to 15-20 I expect.

If you add down pants and booties, and a down beanie/balaclava, you will be better off.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

The reason I didn't list the pad or head/footwear is because I intended for this to be an exploration in best way to layer the listed items. I think most who sleep with quilts by default use some type of warm hat, and sleep in socks at least as well.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"The reason I didn't list the pad or head/footwear is because I intended for this to be an exploration in best way to layer the listed items. I think most who sleep with quilts by default use some type of warm hat, and sleep in socks at least as well."

Yeah, so then I think the take-home answer is that to first approximation the "method" or "ordering" of the items matters either not at all, or only a very miniscule amount to keeping warm, especially in comparison to a number of important feature you have left out of the picture entirely. So I question the entire premise of your question, and I think this makes some of us worry about the above mentioned "other stuff" that you are leaving out. Its not really to change the subject, just that the way you have framed the subject seems wrong.

Possibly, as you imply, you do understand all of this, but that is kind of what I think lies behind Roger's and others' concern for the stuff you left out rather than specific. Seems like you may be asking an *very* important question in the wrong way. Basically you can't make things that much better by wearing your set of layers in a "special" way.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I think its a fair question. He's not saying the hat/socks/shelter/sleeping mat aren't important factors in staying warm just that he wants to focus on the listed variables.

My order (listed in order of closeness to skin)
    1) base layer unless too wet then it goes with the pillow.
    2) rain jacket if available if not maybe wind jacket
    3)down jacket – especially if it has a hood. If I wake up cold in the night I move it to outside the quilt as it would be warmer there ( just have a way to keep it put). I prefer it inside for if when I have to get up in the night or morning and for drafts.
    4)quilt
    5)wind jacket. Probably start with it on my feet…but I have used my pack here before (I don't think my current pack is large enough for a 30f quilt). I'd move it around as conditions required.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This Sat night when i was camped during a backpacking trip, the forecasted low for the area was 23*F.

I had a 40 degree quilt and was fine believe it or not. Here's why. Top, first layer was a thin, summer type sleeveless synth Tee with polygiene silver treatment (New Balance brand). Over that was a Paradox Synth Merino (dri release blend) long sleeve baselayer. Over that was a MYOG polycryo VBL shirt (came apart some by morning though).

Over that was a Stoic Hadron Down Anorak jacket. Over that was my Brooks LSD II windjacket. Was wearing a MYOG Polartec Power dry high efficiency "baselayer" (non fleecy) thin fabric balaclava underneath the hood of the Stoic down jacket. My micro bead travel neck pillow also acted as extra neck insulation.

Bottoms: reversed Roubaix nylon cycle pants (one side is brushed and slightly fleecy), very thin, nylon wind pants (but pretty breathable0 and then Montbell UL down pants over.

Feet. Now my feet did get a little cold with the one pair of in between light and mid weight Merino synth socks and thicker, in between mid and heavy weight Merino socks over that. Then i put my Kevlar arm sleeves on my feet and they were toasty after (kevlar fabric ime is very warm stuff).

My 40 degree quilt, i added a M50 sleeve and found it helps noticeably with convective heat loss, and added just under 2 oz total of weight.

Yes, it would have been more weight efficient and easier to just have used a warmer quilt or preferably sleeping bag, but i recently sold my 30 degree quilt (which i would have used otherwise) and my 0 degree quilt has not yet arrived.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

The idea is to discuss these specific variables within a sleep system, how they can be optimized, while keeping other variables separate. The sock/hat/pad talk saved for another discussion. I don't see what makes that so confusing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools