Topic

LINER, COLD WEATHER, TROUSERS, MEN’S, FIELD, NYLON QUILTED

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear LINER, COLD WEATHER, TROUSERS, MEN’S, FIELD, NYLON QUILTED

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I love military labeling…

I needed a pair of insulated pants for sitting still while hunting, sitting around camp, and sleeping in winter.

I was looking to pick up a pair of Montbell Thermawrap Pants or similar but found these liners at the surplus store for $9. Absolutely worth trying them as a project at that price.

When I was poorer and less fashionably geared up, I hiked the Sierra for many years using an army jacket liner for lightweight upper body insulation. PAired with a base layer and a windshell, it worked great. Now having a Montbell Thermawrap jacket, there's not much difference save for better sizing and a proper cut with features.

I figured the pants can't be much different than the Thermawrap version either.

The awkward thing about the liner pants is that they're very baggy, have no way of tightening in the waist (as they're meant to button into pants), have a gigantic gaping fly, and are cut short (so as to not be long enough to interfere with boots I assume).

All of these things are easily remedied:
    1. Remove button and bar-tack them shut above the fly.
    2. Add velcro to the fly. Yeah, there was that ridiculous thread about flies…I like them. Especially during winter when wearing a belt and/or suspenders.
    3. Sew in a strip of nylon around the waist to house a drawstring with cordlock (that's the black band in my photos)
    4. Sew in velcro tabs at ankles to cinch them tighter

Done.

Finished pants: 11.2 ounces, $9. That's at least three ounces lighter and almost $100 cheaper than Montbells…

I was considering tapering the legs and taking some fabric out but left them baggy so they can be comfortably worn over or under pants. The ankles are wide enough to get on over boots. I might go back and sew in a giant nylon butt patch for sitting in the event I wear them over my pants (such as stopping and sitting for 30 minutes while hunting).

Next up:
    An insulated serape (thanks to HPG and Dave C.).

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've done pretty much the same thing as you. I use them for hiking and cold weather work around home.

I love the articulated knees. They are very comfortable.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Nice handiwork on the modifications. I agree; these pants are great. On mine, all I did was thread a piece of cord through the buttonholes and cinch it up with a cordlock.
    Insul pants

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi,
    I have the same liners and as you guys find them to be very warm andCHEAP. Was thinking to mode mine but wonder if you removed all side bottoms that open legs out flat? Any significant weight savings. Also did you trim them on the sides? Was thinking to add full sidezips as I like em to open out and over winter boots?

Cheers!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I used these this weekend, temps went down to 21 degrees. Wore them all night, to sleep, and out hunting/hiking the next morning.

I love them so far!

Best $9 I've spent on gear in a while. My buddy was jealously eyeing them….

@Velimir:
    No, I didn't reduce the size or take them in. I'm glad I didn't as I like their size for being able to go over boots and pants. No trouble pulling them on over boots…

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

What is the actual length of the inseam on these?

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi,

@Craig
    thanks. My version came with full side buttons so you can open them up to eas up
    On layering: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MEDIUM-US-MILITARY-USMC-ARMY-COLD-WEATHER-PANTS-FIELD-LINER-THERMAL-OD-US-/200993369007?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecc236baf

I like how baggy they are so you can pull them over your pants while resting so buttons
    Arent needed at all. I think I,ll remove them and sew the sides up as theres heat escaping there
    Even with doing so I plan to keep them baggy just so they can go over the boots…Will addwhat you did
    To the waist and fly..good tips there! Not sure about leg opening…how did you attach the velcro strip..what sort of velcro?

Thanks again..

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"My buddy was jealously eyeing them…."

Are you sure? Might have been eyeing you. Gosh, you set up the opportunity, I couldn't resist :)

You might want to check out a jacket liner too.

Heck, buy the jacket and the liner. When you are walking around town in them, people will stop and give you money.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Very compact and slip on easily. I carried them for Skiing SAR so I could give them to the victim who could easily pull them on over other clothes, unlike fleece, and if they disappeared on a helicopter or at the ER I was out little.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"Are you sure? Might have been eyeing you. Gosh, you set up the opportunity, I couldn't resist :)"

I'm pretty sure it wasn't that. I've been naked in many a mountain hot spring with Michael and he hasn't tried any funny stuff….yet. :)

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

Although being quite industrious I've always found myself somewhat perplexed with the operation of a sewing machine. Yesterday I endeavored to learn how to operate this useful tool and was able to make some modifications to my recently purchased LINER, COLD WEATHER, TROUSERS, MEN'S, FIELD, NYLON QUILTED, MEDIUM LONG.

I'm now thinking of the many other projects I can implement with this newly acquired skill.

I added two button holes to the waist for use with the existing waist closure and then a ladder loc belt to the side. No need to secure the fly as it now has a nice overlap while still allowing easy….egress/ingress.

I added velcro roll straps that I had to the ankle cuffs. In retrospect some cinch closures may have been a better alternative.

Although this pant is a Medium Long the inseam is still only 23". I would prefer them to be longer. Can someone with the Large Long version post what the inseam length is. The regular length must end at the knee.

Insulated Liner

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools