Topic

“Light” gear list to shoot for?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion “Light” gear list to shoot for?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Doug, I'm glad you're getting some good feedback. I have a Katabatic quilt and I think it would be a great choice for you. With a dry bag or waterproof pack liner there's almost zero risk of getting it wet in the Sierra.

I wouldn't worry about swapping out your bear can – even a Bearikade wouldn't be that much lighter. There is a lot more low hanging fruit for you right now.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I, too, backpack with my dog. I'm not a UL'er- I spend time here mostly so I can go lighter but since I live in Alaska much of my gear that I use in the summer is what other people consider "shoulder season" or even "winter gear" since our summer night time temps can drop into the freezing zone so I have a few more layers and a warmer sleeping bag. I still manage, with a bear can (same as you, BV450), to be right at 29-30 lbs with all my consumables and about a liter and a half of water. My old pack weight, prior to learning about UL, was more in the 50 lb range, so I feel I've made progress. Some of my gear has gotten lighter (particularly my big 4 and my stove) but mostly it's been the items I don't take any more that have made the difference.

My big 4:
    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Tent 2lb 15oz
    Granite Gear Vapor Trail Pack 2lbs 5oz
    Western Mountaineering Versalite w/ overstuff Sleeping bag 2lbs 3oz
    Bag Agnes Q Core SL Long/Wide (my dog occupies the foot) 1lb 7oz

Kitchen:
    MSR Pocket Rocket
    750 mL Ti Pot w/ lid
    Ti Spork

I tend to not take a change of daytime clothes. I do carry sleep clothes (thermals) which I could also use to beef up my daytime gear if needed, and sleep socks. I always have some sort of insulated coat with me, as well as a wind/rain shell. I have a balaclava and down booties I wear when I sleep.

My first aid kit, gear repair kit and other possibles are in 3 1-Qt zip lock freezer bags.

I bring one light weight bowl for my dog, which is for both food and water. I also pack a military poncho liner for her blanket. Her mattress is the foot of my mattress, which has room at the end because I got a long and I'm only 5'5".

My food is nearly all freeze dried. I might bring some heavier items for the first night.

My two luxury items have been my Big Agnes Q-Core SL because it's bigger and heavier than my old air mattress but oh-so-much-more-confortable and my REI Flex Lite Chair. I also occasionally bring an e-reader for my night time reading.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Since you're in Central CA, I imagine Henry Coe wouldn't be too far of a drive:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=81345

Although technically full, you could probably get away with hiking in Saturday to look at all the shelters, packs, and bags not sold at REI.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Here is a great 1 lb bag:"

Since you're coming from a comparatively heavy base weight, I'd recommend you consider the WM Summerlite instead of the Highlite. For an additional 3 oz, you get a superb Sierra bag that has full baffles, as opposed to the sewn thru baffles of the Highlite, and will take you reliably down to its 32 degree rating. I have used one for many years now, after using a Highlite for several seasons, and could not recommend it more highly. To turn it into a 3 season bag, order it with 2 oz of over fill. It will still weigh only 21 oz, and give you a bag good down into the mid to high 20's, even lower if you complement it with your insulative clothing.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=69

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Hey tom, do you shift the down around to the top with your summerlite when it gets down to freezing?

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools