Topic

My Hexamid with SMD serenity net!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My Hexamid with SMD serenity net!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Rob Reynolds
    BPL Member

@rfreynol

I have the same setup. The Serenity net tent fits perfectly. I clip the bottom guy outs to the corner tie downs of the Hexamid and it's great.

I have the Serenity since I used a Gatewood Cape prior to getting the Hexamid. I like that the Serenity is a bit more roomy than Zpack's net tent and it fits better with my 120CM hiking pole setup.

I wish SMD made it in a cuben version. I've got some spare cuben in the garage so I may undertake replacing the floor with it over the holidays.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Cesar, I looked at picking up a used hexanet instead of the SMD serenity net, but was indifferent. Zpacks stopped making the solo version some time ago. It does seem that it pitches a little looser, this is probably because of the full bathtub cuben floor, and not straight seams like the smd net.

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Can anyone who has been in the Serenity Net Tent, on the one hand, and in the Tarptent Notch inner net, on the other hand, compare how they feel space-wise in practice? They both purport to have approximately 15 sq. ft. of floor area, but the Serenity Net Tent is a 26" wide rectangle while the net on the Notch starts at 20 inches at the head and foot and widens to 32 inches in the middle. I am thinking of trading in my Notch for the setup shown in this thread, but would like to get a sense of how they compare from a "living space" perspective in the field. The other setup I am considering is the Bearpaw Pyranet 1 modified for the Hexamid, which looks to be 4 inches wider than the Serenity Net Tent and shaped to fit to the Hexamid shape, but a few ounces heaver. Thanks!

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

Looks like I found a Hexamid Solo. Now for the Serenity – I've got a line on an original model Serenity. Since I don't know the difference, will this work with the Hexamid Solo?

michael levi

@m-l

I would try to get the updated serenity, it has raised walls and might be worth the extra money.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

The originals – as I understand it – are more likely to be an ounce or more lighter than the current version. Floor dimensions should be the same. Not sure about the side walls Bet the new is higher / older is lower.

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I've talked to a couple people, including SMD (whoever I talked to @ SMD talked so fast it was hard to understand). It appears the old and new will work. The differences, as I understand it – Old is not rectangle floor, but as little wider at the head end. Old is 1 ounce lighter in weight. New has higher wall in the back before it starts to slope, with an additional tie-out in the mid-back.

If anyone can confirm or dispute the above info, please let me know. Or if you know of additional differences.

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

In the past few weeks I tried the Hexamid Solo with Serenity Net Tent, on the one hand, and the Hexamid Solo Plus with the new, updated Hexanet, on the other hand. I added the optional beak in both cases. I loved the weight and simplicity of the Solo & Serenity Net Tent, but after sleeping in it for one night I found it a little small for my taste (I am 5' 11" tall and around 185 pounds). I did fit in this combo, but there really wasn't any extra room, and head room was tight for sitting up. I also felt that wind driven rain could be an issue for this combo due to a lack of any meaningful bathtub floor on the Serenity Net Tent, although I never experienced any rain. So after some consideration, I ordered the Solo Plus with the new Hexanet, figuring I could return either combo after comparing them. The weight penalty for the Solo Plus/Hexanet is about 1 ounce for the Hexanet and .8 ounces for the Solo Plus tarp. There are also six additional stakes required for the Solo Plus/Hexanet combo, four for the Hexanet (which must be staked down) and two for the additional side guy lines if used. (It is worth noting, however, that the Serenity Net Tent was significantly roomier at the ends with a tauter net if you staked it out, although it worked ok just clipped to the corners of the tarp.) After setting up the Solo Plus and Hexanet I knew immediately I would keep it over the Solo/ Serenity combo. The Hexanet is substantially roomier than the Serenity Net Tent (36 inches wide vs. 26 inches wide) with several inches of additional head room at the peak, with a 7" bathtub floor that appears to provide almost complete protection from wind driven rain when pitched under the Hexamid Solo Plus. The Solo Plus does have a slightly deeper footprint than the Solo version (62 vs 54 inches), but the length is the same (9ft for both). For me, the minor weight savings, smaller footprint and simplicity (less stakes) was not enough of a benefit compared to very substantial increase in usable space and weather protection I believe the Solo Plus/Hexanet combo provides. Just my thoughts based on minimal usage so far, and YMMV.

michael levi

@m-l

That's good to hear that you found a setup that works better. I used to use a bivy sack occasionally so upgrading to a net tent feels much more spacious personally. I feel like there is plenty of room to change clothes, blow up air mattress etc. Keep in mind I am 6 foot 150lbs. Even if I move around during the night and press up against the walls of the mesh net tent, the Hexamid is big enough to not need to worry about touching the condensated walls. There is plenty of space and thus air flow.

As far as upgrading to the Zpacks hexanet it will cost more, but in return you still get more space and a nice cuben bathtub. However it will cost more too. Hats off to Zpacks for the hexamid though, this thing is soo light.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools