Topic

Caldera Cone 12-10 and StarLyte Simmer Device

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Caldera Cone 12-10 and StarLyte Simmer Device

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Larry Swearingen
    BPL Member

@larry_swearingen

Locale: NE Indiana

I recently bought a Caldera Cone with a Ti Pot and also got the simmer ring.
    To use it you just boil your water first, then lift the pot and cone
    off the stove and just slip the Simmer Ring over the stove. It slides
    down to cut down on the air flow through the stove and lowers the flame. The Trail Designs Simmer Ring has a slight taper and the smaller diameter goes up. Of course once it is in place you can't just pick it up and move it. It gets HOT ! But once it's in place it
    cuts the flame down considerably. Never timed it though.

Larry S

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

–B.G.– Last I heard you use a canister stove.

Larry, I'm going to purchase a TD simmer ring and do some testing. thanks for your instructions. I want to see how the flame reacts after the simmer is put on.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I just ordered a simmer ring. I'm in Northern Illinois, TD is in CA. It cost me $9.01 for shipping. Shipping rates are high in the USA as they are for International Orders. It costs $9.75 to ship a 4 oz. box to the United Kingdom and other European countries. Just a heads up.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"–B.G.– Last I heard you use a canister stove."

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I own a half dozen white gas stoves, another half dozen canister stoves, a few alcohol burners, and a couple of Esbit burners. Which one I take on a specific trip depends on what kind of cooking I'm doing. Mostly I use Esbit in the summer.

The Trail Designs 12-10 burner works fine by itself. I just put a piece of aluminum foil around it to get the simmer effect.

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Bob, yes, canister and esbit primary cooking choices.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I just ordered a simmer ring. I'm in Northern Illinois, TD is in CA. It cost me $9.01 for shipping.

That's odd … I'm in MN and was charged 'only' $6.37 for std shipping on an purchase of a 12-10 stove, simmer ring and prime-lite primer pan (I had removed the outer primer pan on my stove so it all would fit in a short/wide Evernew 900ml pan)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

""""I just ordered a simmer ring. I'm in Northern Illinois, TD is in CA. It cost me $9.01 for shipping.

That's odd … I'm in MN and was charged 'only' $6.37 for std shipping on an purchase of a 12-10 stove, simmer ring and prime-lite primer pan (I had removed the outer primer pan on my stove so it all would fit in a short/wide Evernew 900ml pan)"""""

Maybe they needed to adjust their rates for 2014….dunno….pretty steep for such a small 2 gram piece……ahhhhh!!!! it's titanium….more postage :-)))))

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I received my TD simmer ring last week and was able to give it a whirl today. I followed the directions and it works well. Get one for 12-10 stoves to do some baking or cooking of rice etc.

Anyone have a chance to try the carbon felt disc?

I've had a few requests for them, so I'll list them in the "gear deals" forum. I'll have a vested interest in them.

The disc works well with the "Companion Burner" that's made for use with wood burning stoves to melt snow when in a hurry or wet wood is the only wood available. The "Companion Burner" holds 4 ounces of fuel and is easily made to go into a simmer mode by using the disc.

There will be a dozen discs given away at the upcoming GGG gathering in California. Try them on other open top stoves during the "show and tell sessions out there.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Ken gave a dozen of these away at the recent GGG gathering out in California where they had some really nice weather. Here in Northern Illinois we are in the process of getting another 6" of snow dumped on us :-)

Get out and do some real cooking and baking with one of these Carbon Felt Pads

These carbon felt simmer pads are now available in "Gear Deals"

Exclusive offer for BPL viewers/members in “Gear Deals”

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I obtained both the regular Starlyte and the modified one and the simmer ring. I'll have to try the cooking gig sometime. Had very satisfactory results my second go round with the modified Starlyte. This time, instead of seeing how it burned in the open, I used it to heat up a pot of water. Slower than the 12-10 but a little more efficient as has already been reported.
    Duane

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools