Topic

Making waders???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making waders???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

I do a good deal of my packing to get to good fishing. I dont rarely need waders but if I could make some good lightweight ones I would carry them. Anyone toyed around with this already? I found these http://www.wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=5 but the foot setup would never work for how tough I would be on them and they are not waders. Ignoring the whole foot area for now, what material would you try these with? Im really just wondering if this is worth time to even try

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I'm not a good sewer so I can't help you much with making your own, but Orvis used to make UL nylon waders and you might be able to find some on eBay or something. They have similar feet to your picture above but you could probably make some UL wading shoes by gluing some felt to the bottom of a pair of Crocs or sandals.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

The problem with manufactured waders is the neoprene when light weight is conserned. Not only that but with neoprene booties on the bottom you have to bring oversized shoes along to fit over them.

Nall Fnk

@nfink

I'd suggest a super simple pattern. Essentially a pair of rain chaps, but with a tube sock style end and fully seam sealed – one seam on the side and around the toes, two dimansions. With ultralight fabrics there is no need to worry about shaping the foot, since some bunching is permissible. Wear the waders like VB socks under your shoes. I'd probably use urethane coated nylon to allow the seams to be taped, but really well sealed silnylon would probably work too.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Are waders truly necessary? I just bought a pair of hybrid wading/hiking sandals and I wear a pair of neoprene socks. ( sandals are made by "Bite", and the socks are made by – "Chota") I fish in quick dry shorts.
    I suppose it depends on the river/stream. If it is a cold trout stream, you may need waders or take a few breaks and let the color return to your legs. If you go with ultra light waders (not neoprene) you will not have much temperature protection. I fish a lot and hiking in neoprene is a pain. You get drenched in sweat.

Good luck and fish often,

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools