Topic

8# base weight high sierra gear list. critiques?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 8# base weight high sierra gear list. critiques?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

The List.

Any opinions, ideas, critiques are welcome.

Details:

This list shows solo weights, but has a column that indicates shared weights, as well as total base weight on 2 person trip.

Typically camping at/above 10k feet in high sierra.

Occasional thunderstorms, but typically avoid heading out if bad weather in forecast.
    Night temps close to 32 F, daytime temps widely vary.

This is basically a July/August gear list, with optional items at bottom that could be added for colder weather.

I put the trip length as a default of 4 days, however 5-6 days is more likely.

Hiking 12-18 miles a day, with a couple hours around camp at end of day. Sometimes with campfire depending on trip.

No bear containers necessary.

There is a "notes" column which indicates things I am pondering. Most of those ideas could eliminate several ounces from this list.

I am not exactly looking to reduce weight a whole lot more, however I am always seeking functionality, simplicity, no fuss, better overall efficiency.

scree ride

@scree

Throw in some wild rose hips, juniper berries, leave the whiskey at home.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Looks great to me, it's not that different from what I bring. It looks well thought out. For July/August I would leave the R1 hoody at home. Or maybe switch it out for a warm hat, which I didn't see on your list. I carried an R1 hoody for years and it was always too warm as an active layer, and it's not an efficient way to add warmth at night. In the summer I just go with a windshirt + down puffy + rainjacket. Sometimes I even leave the puffy at home depending on the forecast. On the JMT last August I was warm enough with a warm hat + windshirt + rain jacket even in 3 days of continuous thunderstorms and hail. I add back in a Capilene 4 hoody for the shoulder season which is a much more appropriate fabric weight for the Sierra IMHO.

Personally I always bring long underwear, both to keep my sleeping bag clean and as an extra layer to hike in for the first few hours of the day if it's really cold. The Arcteryx Phase SL ones I have are 3.4 oz, so you could save some weight there, but it's probably not worth replacing the Patagonia ones you have.

Check out the Granite Gear Air Zippsacks for a nice food storage bag (though they are not cuben.)

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I've had trips where I just brought windshirt/down jacket/rain jacket and was just fine. The thing is, I usually only wear the down jacket for a little while after dark, and sometimes for a few minutes in the morning before I began hiking. At night I use it as a pillow. It got me thinking…how badly do I really need this?

I would likely wear the R1 from early evening, as well as throughout the whole night (balaclava hoodie very nice with quilt), and during the morning hours. Paired with the windshirt, it is a pretty nice system. Its just kinda heavy for how much insulation it provides.

I guess what it comes down to is that I don't really need both, however I need to choose which one is truly more valuable. I lean towards keeping the down jacket, leaving R1 home.

I thought about bringing the long underwear (which are very nice at night and protect quilt fabric), and then just wearing running shorts to hike in, instead of pants. Keeping the long underwear on in the morning. I have always worn pants, and usually do xcountry travel that makes me glad I have them…but Im so much more comfortable in shorts.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

My trekking poles are monsters. What can be found that are significantly lighter and at a good price? (GG LT4 too expensive)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

With 5-6 days of food, I recommend keeping the stay in your Gorilla. It doesn't weigh much, and it does a lot for ya.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I second keeping the stay in your Gorilla pack. It is phenomenally better off for me and my Kailas pack with the stay in, as opposed to without.

Also, I would second what Andrew said about your midlayer choice. Leave it at home and if you feel compelled to keep the weight you're at, bring a hat. That was the item missing from my list's as well for the summer in the Sierra Nevada Mtns this summer. Actually, I prefer my Smart Wool balaclava but you get the point. Otherwise, I think your list looks pretty good. No other critiques from me.

Thanks,
    James

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I have a Zpacks Arc Blast pack, 18oz., worked great this summer for my week long trip. At 60 now, I only need one outer clothing layer, a Montbell liner? jacket at 8 oz.? for the warmer part of the summer. Your kitchen is lighter than what I use and I use a silk liner in my WM bag, but I picked up a EE Enigma quilt at 17 oz. for next summer. With food and one qt. of water, I'm at around the mid 20's or lower for a week and tablets for water purification. Add weight for a bear can. Keep in mind you may have to switch out a alcohol/Esbit stove setup later in your hike for a canister or gas stove due to high fire danger, or go for cold dinners. Please take care of my Sierra, I live here.
    Duane
    PS: I do not bring any thermal underwear in the summer. My raincoat (anorak) is 4 oz.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I use a down jacket + sleeping bag instead of an extra warm sleeping bag because it keeps me both warmer and cooler. If it's too cold I put on my down jacket. if it's too warm I take it off. It's worth that extra weight to me.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I'll definitely keep the stay in on the first trip. I am going to be using foam sleeping pads which will help keep things rigid if I eventually go without the stay. Perhaps on a shorter trip i'll try it out.

I edited the list to remove the r1 and just keep the down jacket. I have a balaclava that is perfect for sleeping in and works as a warm hat.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

"My trekking poles are monsters. What can be found that are significantly lighter and at a good price? (GG LT4 too expensive)"

Don't know if this fits the bill for you, but I've been happy with a pair from a brand called Yukon Charlie's, carbon fiber sold at Costco.com (to members) for $49.99. Weight is 14 oz for the pair with straps.

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

I bring imodium on every trip.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Be careful about taking Imodium if you have diarrhea. Take it ONLY if you don't have the ability to actually stop and poop (ie on a bus). Your body is trying to rid itself of the bugs, and Imodium is an intestinal paralytic, which means you are holding onto the bad bugs and not getting rid of them. Your best bet is to let your body get rid of what it's trying to get rid of…..Imodium should not be your first line of treatment if you have diarrhea…drinking more fluids and staying well hydrated…and pooping a lot.

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

Thanks. I'll be careful going forward.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

I was on a long backpack trip once where a guy had to be evacuated. The doctor in town said that the guy was in a vicious loop — low potassium was causing his diarrhea, diarrhea voids potassium, and it is hard to have enough potassium in a backpacking diet.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Dried banana chips. Lightweight and full of potassium. And dates and raisins.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Just Gatorade.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"and it is hard to have enough potassium in a backpacking diet."

Mortons Lite Salt contains ~350 mg of K per 1/4 tsp(3 gram) measure.

Nuts also contain a lot of K, rough average 150 mg/oz

Dehydrated bean soups are another good source.

Lots of others, but these are a good place to start, IMO.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

All good suggestions.

What I meant to say is that the doctor said it is hard to have enough dietary potassium to break the diarrhea cycle once it gets going. He gave the guy some big purple potassium horse-pills.

Ever since then I have been more conscious of including enough potassium in the backpack diet to forestall the problem.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Like so many other good threads, this one turned to $hit.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I always carry some sort of hooch. 8oz for a hooch bottle is way too much. I use a Poland Springs type water bottle bottle, 1oz max.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I should clarify…the 8oz weight is the total of the plastic flask filled with scotch. Also, its an optional item I don't always take.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

My Gorilla (2010 or so model) is much more comfortable with the stay even with a low pack weight.

I would add:
    compass
    map
    whistle
    backup fire source

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools