Topic

Actual 2013 PCT Gear List for 2014 Hopefuls

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Actual 2013 PCT Gear List for 2014 Hopefuls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Wow. This is a weird thread. I was reading Naturally Caffeinated and then remembered we met on the BPL group hike.

Then I saw this pic… that's me all the way to the left :)

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Wow. Seriously? I've always felt that they were a somewhat wasted piece of gear.

I guess if it mounted on my pack so it was hands free… That would be pretty sweet. I imagine I could rig something up…

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Use of an umbrella really depends on where you are. If you are in super hot areas where it makes a difference to use one then it' worth it. Or if you expect to be in continuous rain, it can help you use less rain gear, AND regulate your temperature better. If you hike in the forest where shade is always present and trails are branchy and using an umbrella is a pain, then no it's not worth having. I live where an umbrella is a very useful tool and I love mine, it keeps me from baking to death each summer while I hike the deserts. But if I didn't need or use it I would send it home. To each his own.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Kevin – So good to add another name to the faces in the group photo at long last! Had a great time chatting you all on my way down to Sonora Pass, and really was amazed to see more lightweight BPL'ers all at the same time in such an unlooked-for moment!

Umbrellas are VERY subjective in usefulness. I don't think I'd carry one along the Vermont Long Trail for instance, but would NEVER attempt another PCT hike without mine. Loved using it out west and the wide open trails easily lend themselves to easy umbrella use. Sun rain snow and hail, my umbrella protected me from it all!

Nicholas Ward

@nrw4w

Nice gear list – I enjoyed reading through all the comments.

I'm starting an AT through-hike in March this year, considering bringing a pair of Rocky Mtn socks for the smokies early on – also considering bringing an Opti as well (along side of my sawyer).

What are your thoughts about these two pieces of gear? I've seen mixed reviews for both.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Sorry if I am answering out of term but I have experience in this area. I thru-hiked the AT this year beginning March 5. I had Rocky Gortex socks and used them a lot the first month. We did have an unusual amount of snow and I was very glad to have them and rain mitts. In 2012 I am sure nobody needed them.

Nicholas Ward

@nrw4w

James, I don't mind at all. Any former hiker's opinion holds weight in my book.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I liked the Gtx socks – and used them on the PCT for winter hiking Northern Washington as well as the Southern AT. About 500 miles of using them and though expensive I liked them and will continue to have them for my winter kit. An RBH Designs Vapor Barrier sock may do the same thing and be cheaper – I don't know.

I used the Steripen Adventurer Opti for all 2,181 miles of the AT, and after my Sawyer Squeeze permanently clogged up and blew out all the bags at mile 700 of the PCT, I switched back to my SteriPen for most of the rest of the trail (brought AM drops for the Winter finish – but should have just kept the Opti). With about 3,000 + Miles on the Opti it is BY FAR my favorite way to treat water. MY SECOND best method seen was the Platypus Gravity Works filter — performed much better than what I saw of my using with the Squeeze. BULK buy Streamlight CR123 Batteries on Amazon and include two sets in a few resupplies along the way.

Nicholas Ward

@nrw4w

Thanks Seth, I've read a lot of stories about older Steripens breaking and being unreliable – it sounds like they may have fixed some of the bugs with the newer Opti. I'll check out the RHB VB's and see what I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools