Topic

Olicamp Aluminum Mugs Rival Ti for Weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Olicamp Aluminum Mugs Rival Ti for Weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I "discovered" the aluminum Olicamp Space Saver mugs a couple weeks ago and wanted to share. I've owned the stainless steel version in years past, but I didn't know that they made an aluminum version. As with the steel model, they have large folding handles and will hold a Nalgene bottle, saving space in your pack if you want to stow it in the water bottle pocket with the bottle. Of course a 1 liter platy will nest in one, as well as most recycled spring water bottles.

Capacity is 24oz/750ml and the surprise is they weigh just scant fractions of an ounce more than a similar titanium version. From left to right below is the hard anodized version at 3.6oz, a Stoic titanium mug at 3.2 oz, and the clear anodized model of the Oilcamp at 3.4oz. eBay prices start at $11 for the clear anodized model and $14 for the hard anodized option– both including shipping!. I think that is quite a bargain. With a little roaster pan foil for a lid, they make for a good light option to a typical Ti mug at 1/3 the price. Perfect for Scouts I would think.

Olicamp mugs

If you must, the handles are easily removed and weigh 0.4oz per pair. The mounting plates are riveted in place and I would be cautious about trying to remove them.

The Snowpeak Hotlips silicone lip guard is a perfect fit as well.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Good find, Dale! It's always nice to see some inexpensive UL options out there!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Of course I discovered the hard anodized model after ordering the other. Someone will find it in their stocking come Christmas morning :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cool beans. Dale, have you ever seen a hard anonidized alum. double wall, insulated bottle? I've seen some Titanium ones and whoo boy they are pricey. Figure alum. would be a lot cheaper. Maybe its not strong enough?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

some of these chinese companies are going to give the current stove/pot manufacturers a run for their money IMO

once they get into more retail outlets, and start focusing on customer service/quality … the current crop of stove companies are going to have a serious issue

mr. caffins articles on BPL touched on the issue …

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/made_in_china.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2013_developments_canister_stoves.html

it seems like the REAL innovation these days is coming out of asia … especially the stoves

olicamp (fire maple) also makes a heat exchanger stove which prolite measured a 29% decrease in fuel use … now it may not be the lightest option out there .. but like a jetboil it might allow you to bring one canister instead of two, an allows you to keep using yr favorite stove … there is also a cost savings in fuel as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBFt-c33pyA

many of the current crop of "name brand" pots/stoves are probably made in the same chinese factories anyways

;)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Also available from Amazon for about $13 for hard anodized:
    http://www.amazon.com/Olicamp-Anodized-Space-Saver-Handle/dp/B007S3N5PE/

with a few review comments on protruding interior rivets that gouge water bottles and potentially trap bacteria.

— Rex

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I saw those reviews on the rivets and that was my first point of inspection. The ones I got protrude a tiny bit, but nothing that would tear up a bottle— smooth and professional to my view. Most of my use would be boiling, but cleaning shouldn't be too hard. The rivets are typical for aluminum stuff.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I own a nice MSR Titan Kettle with lid, which weighs 4.2 oz, cost me $60.

Recently I picked up a Zelph lid for an Imusa aluminum mug, giving me nearly the same capacity (27 instead of 29 oz capacity) in a similar form factor. Mug + Lid = 2.8 oz, total cost $6.50.

Plus, the aluminum is substantially thicker than the Ti, and conducts heat better.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Yeah, but titanium sounds cooler. The Soviets made submarines from titanium before titanium got cheap!

Titanium is stronger, so you will get fewer dents and scratches.

— Rex

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

That is what the hard anodizing is for. When the Ti is thin enough to make it light, it dents as easily as the thicker aluminum.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Dents just add character to your gear… and help a noobie look experienced :)

billy

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I hear that. My wife has a pot set with a nice set of bear's teeth marks in them. That's experience :)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Aluminum just makes more sense. But I'd only get an aluminum mug if you want to cook in it. Otherwise plastic makes more sense.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"Dale, have you ever seen a hard anonidized alum. double wall, insulated bottle? I've seen some Titanium ones and whoo boy they are pricey. Figure alum. would be a lot cheaper. Maybe its not strong enough?"

I've never seen a double wall Ti bottle. Stainless ones are readily available. I doubt if you would ever see a hard anodized aluminum version. Clear anodized maybe. The corrosion issues with aluminum are probably more of a factor than strength.

The best thermal bottles for the weight are the old corrugated aluminum thermos models with a glass vacuum liner. They are superior to any metal lined container. I have some— if you are interested, send me a PM.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"The best thermal bottles for the weight are the old corrugated aluminum thermos models with a glass vacuum liner."

Agreed. I have one that must be at least 50 years old. Works good. Lasts a long time.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"Agreed. I have one that must be at least 50 years old. Works good. Lasts a long time."

I make musical instruments out of them. I actually checked with Thermos to see about buying the dies, but they were long gone. They haven't been made since the 1960's. The really old ones had cork stoppers. My grandfather wouldn't go fishing without one. I sipped many cups of scalding hot chocolate from one while bobbing up and down in the middle of Puget Sound.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Dale, do you still have the user instruction manual?

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"Dale, do you still have the user instruction manual?"

For Puget Sound? :)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools