Topic

Mystery Boots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mystery Boots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Part way coming down from Mount Chocorua in October, I came upon a pair of boots perched on rock alongside the trail, looking like this:
    Asolo1

Could not help but wonder why anyone would leave a pair of almost new boots just sitting on a rock up alongside the trail. But on closer inspection, observed the following:
    Asolo2Asolo3

The soles had come completely off one boot and partway off the other. They were a woman's size 9, and first aid kit adhesive tape had been used unsuccessfully to try to hold the soles to the boots. The insoles, or footbeds, had been removed.

This was at a location several miles form the trailhead, some of it very rocky, so wondered how she ever got down. Maybe taped the footbeds to her socks?

Took the boots along, only with the intent to clean up, being a LNT freak.
    But later began to wonder. Could she have been somewhere in the vicinity?
    But did not get down to the trailhead until two hours after darkness had descended, and it was too late to go back and find out.

What had become of her. Will probably never know.

EDIT/UPDATE: The boots were clearly imprinted with an Asolo logo.
    If she had alternate footwear, why bother with the tape mess?
    Doug should write spy thrillers. I'd continue the story, but as Roger says,
    'This is a family website.'

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Okay, I'll start! This can be fun – each post continuing the story.

The tape wasn't working.

Sally sat down on the cold rock, tears beginning to gently roll down her red cheeks. She had just bought these boots a week prior to this trip on Mount Chocorua. She had only worn them once before this hike to break them in. The older guy at REI said they'd be perfect and last a lifetime!

And yet, barely a week later the soles of the boots were literally falling off, like slabs of black, spongy bacon separating from their package. She had tried running tape around the toes of her boots and under the tread to keep the soles on, but it wasn't working. And she was quite a ways from the trailhead – she knew she could't make it barefoot.

She just had to pick this hike to get in a stupid argument with her boyfriend. Now he was way ahead, and she was stuck. It would be dark soon, and she didn't have enough clothing with her to stay out overnight. She began to cry harder in frustration.

Suddenly, through the fog of despair, she began to hatch a plan…..

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Look like Asolo boots to me.

If you want to get my brother to swearing, aski him how his Asolo boots fell apart on a day hike on Big Bear in CA. Both soles fell off with half an hour of each other. He had to finish last few hours of downhill with both pair held together with the shoelaces.

He took them back to REI, service department told them because their laminated that they will do that. My brother understood that but didn't understand why they were designed to delaminates simultaneously.

Anthony Huhn
    BPL Member

@anthonyjhuhn

Locale: Mid West

I'd guess she was a more traditional backpacker and had a pair of tennis shoes also. When the boots delaminated she swapped to those and hiked out.
    As far as to brand the last picture makes it look like there is a stamped logo that would be consistent with some of the older Asolos, however I think its an old pair of Sundowners by Vasque
    Old Vasque Sundowners

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Old shoes kept in a hot room (near a furnace or water heater) would have a failure like that. I agree that they probably wore tennis shoes out. At least they cut a few pounds from their FSO weight!

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

My husband has worn Vasque Sundowners for 30 years with no sole-separation issues, even in the extreme heat of southern Arizona deserts; I've worn Asolos for about 10 years, also with no issues.

I think they're Chinese knock-offs! LOL

Edited to add: And I really like Doug's story!!!!

Anthony Huhn
    BPL Member

@anthonyjhuhn

Locale: Mid West

Yeah I agree they are summits, I just dazed out for a second. For a while ~5 years ago Vasque made the summits and called them the "sundowner summit" and the etsy page that I found the pic on said sundowner.
    The traditional hiker who shaved 3 pounds off their FSO weight probably liked hiking in tennis shoes so much they went home and bought a MLD pack and a tarptent.

Anthony

hwc 1954

@wcollings

I did not find hiking in tennis shoes (actually trail shoes) in the White Mountains to be a very pleasant experience. My feet were getting demolished on the rocks…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools