Topic

Burning ends of things

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Burning ends of things

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Happy thanksgiving everyone!! And let me begin by saying I am embarrassed to ask this question. But I'm going to do it anyway.

Is there some secret trick to burning the ends of guy lines and nylon webbing to keep it from fraying? I hold the flame to the end, watch it melt a bit…but doesn't seem to matter. Either I'm not holding it long enough, or there is a super secret somewhere…but what am I missing? The burnt end STILL frays all over the place. And it never looks as good as the ends of stuff I buy (before I cut it).

I'm currently struggling with some of Lawson's glowire that just WILL NOT stay all nubby at the end.

Help!!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The Kevlar/Spectra/Dyneema cores will not melt like the poly sheath, or solid nylon.

Melt the sheath, and using a folded paper towel, wipe the HOT! sheath over the end to enclose the core. (Pull the line through the towel or the towel over the line, don't "dab".)

Edited to add: Sometimes I pull the sheath down a bit, cut off the core, slide the sheath up, then melt down to the core. Be sure you melt a bit of the core and capture it in the sheath bead.

scree ride

@scree

I usually don't have trouble with the cords. I've been heating an old butter knife to use for cutting strap. It may work on the cords as well.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Heat with lighter, pinch and roll between fingers or over thigh. Repeat multiple times until there is a solid melty bit at the end. If you're smart you'll wear leather work gloves and pants. If you're not, we might be related. ;)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

snip the webbing/cord normally

burn with a lighter for a few seconds

thats all there is …

i do it all the time for climbing webbing/cord/ropes

;)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Pulling the jacket out a bit can work. A propane torch has a hotter point and seems to do a better job. I have a Master MT-5 Microtorch that makes a Bic lighter seems like a candle and burns at 2500F.

master MT-5

The kitchen style torches used for creme brûlée work well for rope as you can lock it on and set it on the bench, leaving both hands free. Master Appliance makes several variations on that theme.

http://www.masterappliance.com/heat-tool-products/butane-products/microtorches

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"The burnt end STILL frays"

Maybe semantics are getting in the way again…

You don't want to BURN the end, you only want to Melt it.

If you are indeed turning it into black ash, that is the problem.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jennifer

As Greg pointed out, you don't want to 'burn' the end; you want to melt it. The stuff you are using does not melt in the simple manner you get with nylon: it shrivels up like mad. That's due to how it was made. It's called 'grain-oriented'.

Too much heat is usually bad with this stuff. Go for the minimum amount of heat needed.

Try melting the end of the string with a soldering iron or a hot knife or even the element on an electric stove. Failing that you could try impregnating the end in epoxy or similar.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"the element on an electric stove"

That works every time for me.

–B.G.–

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Rather than paper towels to form the aglet at the end, I suggest solid paper (folded newspaper, computer paper or card stock). I use a beater leather gloves for this and several other abusive tasks. There's a box of "Mismatched Work Gloves" in my garage for such tasks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"card stock"

How about IBM computer punch cards?

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have used hot glue to whip the ends of Kevlar mule tape. It was easy to trim to a clean form when cool. Silnet works too. You can find cans of gobbletygoop in marine supply stores for dipping lines in.

The term for this is whipping. The traditional way was to wrap the ends with small line or tough thread along with the right knots or stitching.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

The term for employing glue/silnet/gobbletygook is Dipping.

"The traditional way was to wrap the ends with small line …" – and is called Whipping.

If I may be bold as to try to preserve the meaning of words…

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Yes, I was trying to melt it without burning…but it never seemd to melt (zpacks spectra and Lawson's glowire to be specific).

The sheath always seemed to shrink, then the white threads inside just stuck out and they did not turn into a nice knob at the end. I will try a few of these suggestions, since obviously just holding the end in the flame of a bic just doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks again!!!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Pull the dyneema stand down and use a lighter and pair of pliers to crimp the end of the outer.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jennifer

> The sheath always seemed to shrink, then the white threads inside just stuck out and
    > they did not turn into a nice knob at the end.
    Ah – the plot thickens. What happened to the core threads? Did they char instead of melting?

Cheers

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

"Phineas: Through the eye of the needle
    Time to loosen your tongue
    Got a tip how to make ends meet
    Singers (and crowd): A-G-L-E-T, don't forget it!"

YouTube video

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

"Ah – the plot thickens. What happened to the core threads? Did they char instead of melting?"

Well Roger, the tips kind of glow a bit, then just turn black. Which crumbles away, and i still have a frayed end. I can watch the cord shorten…but no nice nubby bit. I've tried rolling it between my fingers, but that never worked except to knock off all the hardened bits…

I'm looking forward to trying a few of these ideas.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if its dyneema core …. simply cut it then dip it into seam grip, crazy glue, etc … you can also use a heat shrink wrap

dyneema has a MUCH lower melting point than aramid (nylon used for climbing ropes) … which is why they generally arent recommended for friction hitches in safety situatiions …

;)

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Just stop playing with fire and get out and hike! :D

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jennifer

> the tips kind of glow a bit, then just turn black. Which crumbles away, and i still
    > have a frayed end
    All is explained. Yeah, I suspected thiis would be the case.

What you have is not what you expected. The sheath is fine (some sort of meltable plastic), but the core is a different material. It could be cotton (unlikely) or it could more likely be rayon (cellulose acetate). These latter do not melt: they char.

Why is the cord made like this? There are two reasons. The first is cost: a rayon core is much cheaper than a Dacron or Spectra one. It may not be the main reason however. The second reason is what we call 'handle'. The softer core makes the string handle differently: usually softer and easier to work with. I will add that some steel cables also have a cotton or hemp core for the same reason: improved handle.

Well, that's all very well, but what should you do? You have several options.

1) Melt the end with a hot knife or soldering iron or similar (but NOT a flame) and press the molten sheath plastic into the rayon core – which may not melt. This keeps the core and sheath together, which is desirable. Gloves or tools are usful here and avoid burt fingers!

2) Work a tiny bit of epoxy or other glue into the end so it looks like the end of a shoe lace – again getting it into the core to anchor it to the sheath.

3) Peel the sheath back a bit, cut off 5 mm of the core, pull the sheath back out and melt it. This is quick and dirty, and can result in the core bunching up inside the sheath in a lumpy manner later on. I don't like it.

A report on your results would be useful to others.

Cheers

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Dollar store epoxy glue and, as mentioned earlier, soak and shape into a shoelace end, while wearing disposable gloves.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools