Topic

Superior – 2 nights on the SHT in Minnesota

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Superior – 2 nights on the SHT in Minnesota

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I'm not sure why I forgot to post this back in September, but here it is. A quick weekend trip on the Superior Hiking Trail from Castle Danger to Split Rock. I wasn't in any hurry and spent a lot of time enjoying the many waterfalls and beautiful weekend.

https://vimeo.com/75191333

The video tells the tale better than a narrative can.sht1

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Nice! That photo … Blueberry Hill?

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Nice job Art. You gotta smile more.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

"Nice job Art. You gotta smile more.

I know! This is my zen and I was having a great time, there's something wrong with my face. it must be permanently scarred from work ;-)

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

"Nice! That photo … Blueberry Hill?"

Sure is.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

Between you, shug, and fronky, (don't know real names) you make the SHT look awesome and I want to hike it! Thanks for sharing. What was that song? I really liked it?

Thanks,
    James

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

It is a beautiful trail, I've only hiked sections as getting away even for a couple weekends a year sans family is tough. It looks nothing like you expect from Minnesota.

The song is Wicked Game, by James Vincent McMorrow, very cool rendition IMHO.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

James,
    Here are a few more pictures to whet your appetite. I did this trip with Mark, from Iowa, who frequents these forums. He can tell you that it is gorgeous and plenty tough.

Wolf Lake

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

David, one word "wow". Fantastic pics, the colors are absolutely stunning. Next year I need to plan to hike a couple sections that first week of Oct.

Art

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

All of this is making my Yooper heart ache to be back home by The Big Lake!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I was secretly hoping for a winter TR when I saw this report pop up. Alas, any TR from the SHT makes me smile. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

@Harrison: "Yooper" … I'm not, but it does leave me wondering how many BPLers understand that term:-)

@Sam
    : I'll try to give salve for that hope if I can get a suitable crew together later this winter. 30" of new snow uphill from Two Harbors this week.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

I've spent a lot of time on a snowmobile in the UP, not only do I know what a Yooper is, but also a Troll.

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

I assume that's a bear and not your lovely dog at 3:07 (left of river, movement left to right). Almost didn't notice.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Yes it is. I'm pretty sure that he ends up doing double the mileage that I do. He runs up ahead and back behind, and back up ahead . . . He's well trained and knows not to get too far from me, and comes right back when I call him. I do keep him on leash when I near a State Park or somewhere that will be populated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools