Topic

Sea2Summit Poncho/Tarp$40free shipping no tax

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Sea2Summit Poncho/Tarp$40free shipping no tax

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Edit: Disregard; both retailers were confused about the two different S2S items; both are incorrect.

Sea To Summit Sil-nylon Poncho-tarps (the new model) $39 at
    http://www.mountainhighoutfitters.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=793
    No tax, free shipping!

These normally retail for about $79, for example at Backcountry. Basegear has them for $39, but with shipping costs. :(

For 13 ounces you could theoretically replace 3lbs+ of raingear and tent. I bought one to experiment with. If I'm not tripping on the corners and getting eaten alive by swarms of bugs it might find a place in my kit.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Great price. I have used mine, apart from playing with it…, as an extended porch/vestibule for both the Rainbow and the Contrail. I have paid more than that even at my "staff" price.
    FrancoSTS Poncho

Anonymous
    Inactive

According to the Sea to Summit website, they produce 2 Poncho Tarps. The one your refering to at Mountain High Outfitters for $39 is the new improved version made of Siliconized Cordura and measures 4’9” x 9’2” 10.0 oz

tarp poncho

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Add an Adventure Medical bivy bag and you have excellent day hiking CYA if the weather turns and/or you have to spend an unplanned night out. I toss a poncho, the bivy bag and my other essentials in a Platypus Mega hydration pack for a nice compact day hiking rig with lots of water capacity.

Alan Garber

@altadude

does it have tie outs to make it a tar?
    in the picture it doesn't look like it does

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Been using mine as a tarp with a bivy for over a year now. I'm a tall guy, so I need the extra length, and it covers me well. Mine weighs in at 10.25 oz, and has 8 tie out points for use as a tarp. It's been beaten up over the last year or so and is still going strong.
    For refernce, I paid $99 CDN for it.

Oops, maybe that's a newer version of mine as stated in an earlier post…double check on those tie outs. However, mine had the exact same picture on it when I bought – I'd recognize that Quasimodo look-alike anywhere!

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

It would appear that someone at Mountain High Outfitters made a mistake. I added one to my cart a short while ago and went through the checkout process, but I paused on the final screen because it didn't appear to be SSL secured (no padlock symbol in IE 6.0). When I went back to the product page a few minutes later, the picture and description had been changed to the heavier nylon model. Everyone else sells it for $39.95, so I'm guessing that it was supposed to be that model from the start, not the lighter SilCordura model. Oh well. I'll be curious to know if they fulfill orders that were placed before they caught the mistake…

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Ernie, thanks for alerting me to that. I asked them to confirm I am getting the Sil-nylon and not the cheap nylon one. Maybe you can still get it at the other location for $39 + shipping.

EDIT: got an email; they do not have the poncho..
    "..there was a mix up with the item description and we don't carry the ultra sil tarp poncho. You have not been charged for this order. Sorry for the mix up."
    Ely Guess
    So I'll order it from the other place..

EDIT 2: No I wont! Checked again; the other site was wrong ALSO, showing the sil-nylon picture for the cheaper model.. lame..
    I'm going with a $24 military sil-nylon poncho…

Franko, great idea; Im going to try that with my BlackDiamond HiLight; it's a great tent with a terrible OEM vestibule that must be staked out anyway; maybe this will be a better solution. Your tent/tarp combo looks great in that picture; color coordinated and everything! Do you use your hiking pole(s)?

Dale, I too have the AM Bivy bag, the 2 person model. It is good peace-of-mind to toss that in my pack, and I carry it on day hikes as my minimum sleep system. This 10 oz S2S tarp will become my minimum shelter system. Like you, even on day hikes I carry one of each essential item; in the event an injury has me waiting for help.

Honestly, I never thought I'd buy Sea 2 Summit again after testing their sil-nylon "dry" bags; the nylon leaks at a hydrostatic head of about 2"; but I figure a free-standing tarp or poncho will never see that level of water pressure.
    (ps, for a truly water resistant stuffsack, I use the SealLine Storm Sacks)

The Backcountry.com description of this S2S poncho is really funny..
    "Some days it’s so crappy outside your tent that you can’t make yourself climb outside and get started on the next ten miles of the Pacific Crest Trail. Lucky for you, Sea to Summit just started making this Siliconized Cordura Tarp-Poncho. The guyout lines slap against your shins will skipping down the trail and then get pounded into the ground when it’s time for sleep. You could conceivably hike the entire California coast without ever having to leave your tent. The hard part will be trying to convince someone to climb in there with you—maybe that friend who was the back half of your horse last Halloween wants to go for a hike."

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Brett
    Yes I do use my trekking poles for the vestibule, one with the Contrail and two with the Rainbow. I tend to take the poncho only when I hike with someone else and expect rain.
    That BD vestibule does offer a dry entrance and some structural strength, but it is heavy and a PITA to set up. ( I have the Lighthouse)
    Franco

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The GoLite poncho sells for ~$45 all over.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

I have a S2S poncho/tarp to sell. E-mail me if you're interested.
    [email protected]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools