Topic

Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Companion forum thread to:

Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker REVIEW

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I just got done researching the various pocket weather devices and for multiple reasons went with the Brunton ADC Pro which basegear.com now sells for $140. It is 2 oz and has a very super loud alarm clock, watch with backlight, storm alarm, forecast, etc. Much more easier to understand. The Kestrel 4500 or 4500T seems to be better for a professional weather forecaster who can make sense of raw data, but the ADC Pro is better for a layperson like me, who wants the bottom line forecast and also a storm alarm. It is also cheaper and lighter too and serves as a watch, alarm clock, and weather forecaster.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Benjamin, I presume there was a typo in this sentence — the word "not" should be ignored, correct?

"Charts and min-max-avg are not available for the user screens."

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Hi Roleigh. Thanks for your comments. I am not personally familiar with the Brunton ADC Pro, but it sounds like a very useful instrument at a reasonable price.

The statement about the user screens is correct. They simply allow you to view 3 parameters at once to save a few steps, but do not provide access to expanded information. You have to go to an individual parameter (eg Temperature or Relative Humidity) to look at the expanded information (min-max-average, graphs).

You mention that the Kestrel is more for techie types, implying that it is more complex, but I disagree – its very simple and straightforward to operate and use. It provides most of the same information as a multi-function watch, and some information more relevant to backpackers, and is much easier to use.

Best,
    Will

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Great review Will,

I have the Kestrel 3500 which esentially does the same measurements but does not have the memory/computer hook-up so data must be journaled by hand if that is desired. Of course it costs less and is lighter but otherwise looks similar. Here is the web page:
    http://www.nkhome.com/ww/wwindex.html

Some would say, "Why pack that! It's not essential." True, but it is fun and a little fun in the woods, to me, is worth a couple of ounces. I do take notes about the weather in my journal, based on the facts from the Kestrel, not my misjudged impressions. From a practical standpoint, I observe the dew point vs. temperature and humidity and can predict what kind of condensation problems I will encounter.

But mostly, it's just a fun something of interest to play with on the trail. After all, backpacking is about keeping in touch with our environment and the Kestrel simply takes that concept to the next level. Of course, I got mine on ebay for a sweet price that allowed me to justify it. (Thank God for ebay)!

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Unless I missed something when I went to the Brunton Site to look at the ADC Pro, it appears not to be capable of keeping track of temperature changes in the same way as the Kestral does. It appears to be able to only provide the current temperature and does not appear to record temperature data points over time. Have I missed something here?

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Will, I had downloaded the user manuals for the Kestrel 4500 and 3500 and was thinking of getting the 3500 but then I found out about the ADC Pro. The home page for it is here: http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=262 — check out the lengthy user manual. What sold me on the ADC Pro was having a very loud alarm clock, the predictive weather forecast icons on the time page, and best of all a customizable storm alarm which (I have not spent the time to figure it all out yet) appears to be able to forecast a storm in a 3 hour window. As one hikes a mountain pass, one does not want to find out near the top one is in the midst of a lightening storm. I hike SEKI every summer and last year we had storms 8 out of 9 days and they came around early to late afternoon, knowing a 3 hour forecast and having an alarm sound off is something I prefer over something like the Kestrel that requires me to do my own forecasting. I just did not see much forecasting features in the units, only trend tracking up to the present (in the 3500 over 12 hours) or in the 4000/45000 over many days if so desired.

Can BPL ask Brunton for a review unit of the ADC Pro, it would be great to get a comparison review. The ADC Pro is also only 2 ounces (without the lanyard). That makes it very light too, and the ability to be a loud alarm clock and a watch with backlight is great too.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Mitchell, download the user manual. Here are some excerpts from the ADC Pro user manual:

Pressure History Graph

The ADC is equipped with a barometric
    pressure memory function. It records the last
    24 hours barometric pressure readings, and
    it can display them by bar-graph.
    In Barometer Mode, press the [set] button to
    select the Pressure History Graph Display.
    While in the Temperature History Graph
    Display, the right most bar will start flashing.
    The right most bar represents the current
    temperature (0 hour), while the other bars
    represent the pressure records of the last 24
    hours. Each pressure record is taken at the
    hour (i.e 12:00, 1:00 and 2:00 … ).
    To browse the pressure record at different
    times, press the [set] button to scroll the
    record backward (from the current record to
    the -24 hour record) or press the [reset]
    button to scroll the record forward (from the
    -24 hour record to the current record).

Temperature History Graph

The ADC is equipped with a temperature
    memory function. It records the last 24-hour
    temperature and displays them by bar-graph.
    In Temperature Mode, press the [set] button
    to select the Temperature History Graph
    Display.
    Display setting, the right most bar will start
    flashing.
    temperature (0 hour). While the other bars
    represent the temperature records of the last
    24 hours. Each temperature record is taken
    at the hour (i.e. 12:00, 1:00, 2:00 …)
    To browse the temperature record at
    different times, press the [set] button to
    select the record by backward scrolling or
    [reset] button to select time by forward
    scrolling (hold down the button to scroll the
    setting at a faster pace).

Temperature History Graph

The ADC is equipped with a temperature
    memory function. It records the last 24-hour
    temperature and displays them by bar-graph.
    In Temperature Mode, press the [set] button
    to select the Temperature History Graph
    Display.
    Display setting, the right most bar will start
    flashing.
    temperature (0 hour). While the other bars
    represent the temperature records of the last
    24 hours. Each temperature record is taken
    at the hour (i.e. 12:00, 1:00, 2:00 …)
    To browse the temperature record at
    different times, press the [set] button to
    select the record by backward scrolling or
    [reset] button to select time by forward
    scrolling (hold down the button to scroll the
    setting at a faster pace).

Data Log Function

The ADC is equipped with a function to log
    the sensor functional mode data. These
    data are the current wind speed, ambient
    temperature, barometric pressure, relative
    humidity and the altitude at the current
    location.
    This data also includes the time and date
    that the logging was taken.
    The ADC can log data automatically (log a
    data at a preset interval) or manually.
    For logging data automatically, check the
    'Automatic Data Log' section below. For
    logging data manually, check the previous
    'Manual Data Log'.
    1) The log memory can log up to 256 records
    and 1980 data.

Weather Forecast Symbol
    What Does the Weather Forecast Symbol
    indicate

The ADC includes a weather forecast function
    that predicts the weather for the next 12 hours.
    The ADC will display the forecasted weather
    by the weather forecast symbol. There are five
    kind of weather forecast symbols, they are the
    Sunny, Partial Cloudy, Cloudy, Rainy and
    Stormy.
    A 'Sunny' symbol generally indicates
    improving weather or sunny weather ahead.
    A 'Partial Cloudy' symbol generally indicates
    slightly cloudy weather ahead.
    A 'Cloudy' symbol generally indicates
    deteriorating weather or cloudy weather
    ahead.
    A 'Rainy' symbol generally indicates adverse
    weather or rainy weather ahead.
    A 'Stormy' symbol generally indicates stormy
    weather ahead.

About Stormy Alarm
    Storm Alarm Sound

If the 'stormy' weather forecast symbol
    appears, the ADC starts beeping for about 30
    seconds.
    The ADC will NOT beep again unless another
    'stormy' condition is predicted.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I bought an ADC Pro last year or 2 years ago. I chose it over one of the Kestrel models because of the alarm clock because I don't wear a seperate watch. Nice tool with a lot of functions but not always to operate (lots of functions and only 3 buttons).

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I also have the Burton Pro. As others have noted, it is a quite capable unit. There are only two things that I don't like about it. The first is with the minimal number of buttons, getting to the right function can be somewhat tricky. Normally I don't need to read a manual, but I did with the Burton. The second issue is that when logging is turned on, the unit gives a tiny "beep" when recording data. I haven't found a way to turn this off. I sleep very lightly, the beep sometimes wakes me up.

Random questions for Burton users. In theory it's waterproof and you can measure water flow. Has anyone done this?

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Thanks Roliegh, I did not read the manual which as you indicate is on the site as a pdf file. The Pro appears to be a very capable unit and at a better price compared to the Kestral.I guess this or the Kestral is the next gear gadget I "need" to look at purchasing. I always wonder about overnight temperatures and weather conditions as I approach High Sierra passes.
    Thanks Again!

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

I'm going on a 17 day hike with a brand new Brunton ADC Pro pocket weather meter. How long does the Brunton ADC Pro operate on 1 CR2032 Battery? I'm wondering how many if any spare batteries I need to bring along. Thanks!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am sure that I have change the batteries twice since I got the unit in 2004. I do think it has been more than than, but it is possible that I have changed the batteries up to four times. Some somewhere between 6 months a 1.5 years / battery.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

That should be about right.
    I purchased one in 2005, had to change to a new battery after a couple of months and the new battery ran till may 2007.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

In those couple of months, would you say it would be more than using it daily for 17 days?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

If you mean the couple of months between purchase and battery change, I would call this irrelevant since I bought the unit with the battery already installed. Who knows how long it had been lying there? Since the battery change, I've been on at least two 10-day trips, several 2 to 5 day trips and numerous daytrips and I had no problem with the battery.

Doug Evans

@dougevans

I have both the Brunton and the Kestrel – Kestrel wins, hands down. Better interface, more accurate, better battery life, easier to use. I've been able to test side by side. JMO –

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools