Topic

GLOVES OR MITTS FOR SNOWSHOEING ETC…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GLOVES OR MITTS FOR SNOWSHOEING ETC…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

for winter activity i am wondering what is better,mitts or gloves?
    ive only used flanel gloves and also a pair of nylon covered insulated gloves which werent that warm unless i wore a liner glove in addition.I scored a pair of outdoor research mitts that seem warm as hell but they are a little bulky.Any opinions of whats best and what s to look for in gloves and maybe some brands?Thanks

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I like to go with sooner lightly insulated mittens and wear fleece/liner gloves inside them. That way, when you need the dexterity, you can slip the mitts off but still have some warmth/protection for your hands.

I just bought some cheap Kombi mitts from Sierra Trading Post, the windproof fleece with 40g Thinsulate, and used Nikwax polarproof to make them super water resistant.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Dave, I have been using liner gloves with Zpacks w/b cuben mitts in the snow while snowhoeing during the day and while setting up camp. At night after everything is setup I switch to liner gloves with Blackrock Gear down mitts, they are toasty. I sleep in them when it gets below 20 degrees.

The liner gloves are polypropylene from hikelite.com. The knit is tighter than Smartwool glove liners and seem to provide much more warmth. Whenever I need to use my fingers to tie a guyline I just take off the w/b cuben mitts. They have held up for years.

The w/b cuben mitts are great for snowshoeing or hiking (with trekking poles) and for wind protection but they are not durable enough for setting up camp (like digging in snow to set snow anchors). I taped them up using cuben tape but eventually just made my own using 210d dyneema on the edges and palm. They look funny but have held up really well. The weight is around 1.5 ozs for the pair.

I haven't used the MLS eVent mitts (1.2 – 1.4 ozs) or the OR Goretex Mitts (5 ozs) and would be interested in hearing what people think.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau
    Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Paul's info above is excellent. I use a similar approach, although I've tried different approaches over the past 20 years of playing in the snow. It's funny how I went back to the one I started with. I think the most important thing is to use a liner/shell system and have at least one extra pair of liners. When one pair gets wet, "slap" out the water and dry inside your jacket. I make leather shells by purchasing insulated work gloves and the cutting out the liner, but the military shells are good too. Wool and leather are also better around fire than nylon. Wool is nice because it's warm when wet, but fleece dries faster. My hands are always wet, and I usually have a fire, so I like wool.

Active down to around 0F:
    wool military glove liners (the sizing on these is perfect, and they have great wrist coverage)
    pigskin leather shells (more breathable, mine are similar to these: http://www.gemplers.com/product/21939/GEMPLERS-Waterproof-Insulated-Gloves-Pigskin-Safety-Cuff)

Below 0F:(not much experience with these temps though!)
    Dachstein boiled wool mittens
    military leather/cotton canvas mittens with deerskin palms/insulated backs and gauntlets

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

We've used Dachstein mitts for cold weather for forty years now. They can be a bit warm at times, then we use ragg mittens. When it's real cold we use a shell mitt over them, sometimes with a liner glove.

Dachstein mitts are the only ones I found that hold up to X-C skiing…all the others wear out too quickly. I used one pair of Dachstein mitts since the late 1970's and just recently purchased another pair. The first pair wore out at one thumb and I intend to reweave new wool in to repair it. Otherwise the pair still has plenty of life in it.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

AS others have said, layers are the key. I've used a variety of liner gloves over the years – surplus wool, wool/ploypro blends, all polypro, and lately powerstretch – which I think I like the best. I do carry two pairs of liners, for two reasons: one, I lost a liner glove on one trip where I just happened to have two pair because I was trying out some new ones, and two, on another trip I got the one pair soaked and was glad to have a spare. So now two pair is my standard. The powerstretch liners will dry fast if shoved inside your shirt while you're on the move.

I like to have wrist cords on my mitten shells so I can take them off and not drop them or have them blow away. The shells I have now, OR Goretex paclite, have wrist cords on them and that's very handy. My first rule of winter handwear is never put a glove or mitten down anywhere except in your tent. Put it in your pocket or in your pack or shove it inside your jacket, never put it down; if it blows away you're in trouble.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I like mitts (mld) with liners for everything all year round, EXCEPT for climbs where I need to use my ice axe. Mitts are garbage for this, too much sliding around/movement inside of the mitts. Everything else though, big fan of the mitts/liner combo.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I recommend Gore-Tex glove shells large enough to accomodate removable fleece liners of various thicknesses for different conditions.

Fleece gloves can be found in many sporting good stores that carry camping clothing.

ALWAYS carry one spare pair of liners.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I only do day snowshoe hikes but I wear DeFeet wool gloves while moving, I have goretex shells in my pocket in case i'm in a spot where my hands will go in the snow.

In my pack i carry my big ass Black Diamond Mercury mitts for stops or if my hands get cold.

Richard O

@rhiker

Locale: Northern California

Snowshoeing takes more energy and generates more sweat and heat than hiking, especially if you are ascending.
    When I am out for the day I generally have an idea what to expect though I take extra choices with me in my vehicle and decide when I get to the take off point. My first choice is normally gloves which I prefer for the dexterity. If it is cold enough I will wear mitts with a liner. If I am wearing gloves I generally take a pair of warm mitts for emergencies, weather changes, staying out late, etc.
    Gloves vary from fleece to heavy duty Black Diamonds.
    Since I am often out when it is snowing, aside from the fleece, the rest are waterproof breathable.
    One issue with mitts and a liner is that it is easy to get the liners wet or covered with snow when putting on or off or adjusting snowshoes, etc.
    How sensitive your hands are to cold has a lot to do with dictating choices.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Jake,

I agree qith you on mitts.

I too sometimes carry my "big-ass" OR GTX mittens with the double layer fleece liners.
    They may be big and they may be ugly but they are WARM. And if you ever need then badly you have something that will ruly preserve your hands from frostbite.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools