Topic

PSA: Feathered Friends Helios 40 percent off

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals PSA: Feathered Friends Helios 40 percent off

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

Matt B
    BPL Member

@mbnow

Locale: New England

good deal. but not made in the USA anymore. most of their jackets are now made overseas.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

It is a good deal. And, yes, they are no longer made in the US. I have also found the fit to be a bit odd. There was a similar sale this time last year. I ordered both the Sm and Medium as I am typically between. I returned them both. The fit felt awkward on both. I found the neck collar to be excessively large and the pockets a bit high which felt awkward and uncomfortable with my hands in the pockets. I really wanted to like the FF jackets, but didn't. I also found the advertised weights to be false… actual weights were higher.

Bill

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I picked up the Helios here on Gear Swap a couple years back. I find the length of the jacket to be about 4-inches to short in the back. When I wear it I find myself pulling the back down to keep the breeze out. I've never done that with other jackets. And when you bend over…forget it…one cold breeze comes in.

Thank you for mentioning the large neck opening. I can stick my fist in there. You can feel the warm body heat coming out the opening….strange.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I was tempted to order one, but the first thing I noticed was that it looked way too short for my purposes. Thanks for confirming that, John.

ff

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

John, you are right. I had forgotten how short they are cut. I am a short guy so this is not usually an issue for me… but I do remember feeling the Helios to be uncomfortably short in cut… along with the high pockets and the huge neck opening…

Like I said, strange cut to their jackets. I opted for a Western Mountaineering at full price rather than the 40% off of a Helios… too bad a good name like FF is reduced by their strange cut.

Bill

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

I didn't know that they moved production overseas. That is surprising. Thanks for the heads up.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I think they may still make their sleeping bags here in the US… though you would have to check carefully if it matters to you… I felt they were a bit deceptive when they changed production of their jackets to overseas as they left the made in USA claims on their web page for quite some time after the change.

I still like their sleeping bags. And some of their other jackets may fit better than the Heilos…

Bill D

Matt B
    BPL Member

@mbnow

I have the older style hooded helios and have to say it is one of the most comfortable jackets i own….but,
    the shorter cut is what stops me wearing it more. I understand it is a 'belay' jacket. Hence the shorter cut. I don't climb.

It is a very puffy jacket with lots of loft and the absolutely best pocket of any jacket i have ever worn. No zipper just natural angle pockets with a little elastic opening. with down on both sides.

The photo looks like the older style. In the new description they say they have added a few more inches to the length for the newer versions. I am buying one and will see if that is the case. I really hope so

Matt.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Matt,
    Interesting. I found the pocket placement to be very uncomfortable.

If you buy on sale, make sure they agree to a return policy if you don't like it.
    Last year they sales person on the phone assured me all was returnable in 30 days for a full refund. When I called for a return number another person said that their policy is to not make any refunds on sale items. That's another thing that put me off about FF… they seemed to be a bit confused up there. Each time I called or emailed I got different answers.

Bill

Matt B
    BPL Member

@mbnow

Bill- thanks for the heads-up on the return policy. I will look into it.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

The cut is short so it doesn't get in the way of a harness.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools