Topic

Skyscape X floor dimensions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Skyscape X floor dimensions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

Locale: South of France

Hi,

I have seen Six Moon Designs cuben tent is now available.
    I have made up my mind to buy the Hexamid Solo Plus but now I hesitate with the SMD!
    So, for the SMD Skyscape x users, what are all the dimensions of the floor?
    They only give the wider dimensions, 48"(floor) and 76"(canopy) but not the shorter ones!
    Because of the difference of prices, it is important to compare the two tents precisely.
    If you have other comments it is welcome!
    Thank you

Myrtille

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

122cm x 262cm

MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

Thank you
    but I have this document and
    the width at the foot is not mentioned but Ron mailed it to me, it is 36"

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I'm not sure if SMD changed anything with the newest version of the X, but I just measured the foot end of mine, and accounting for a slight drop of the "bathtub" it's just under 30" on the inside.

I liked the design of the X and what I felt was easier entry/exit; more storm worthiness; and less effort to pitch (less stakes), but I think either is a great choice. In this price range why not consider the Soloplex too?

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

If the issue here is "Skyscape X vs Hexamid"… the question you need to ask yourself is:

Do I want an easier to setup shelter and a lighter weight shelter? If so the Hexamid is the answer.

Do I want a shelter with greater weather protection? If so the Skyscape X is the answer.

I have a few thousand miles with both of these shelters… those two questions really do sum up the real answer on which too chose.

+John Abela
    HikeLighter.Com
    facebook.com/hikelighter
    @hikelighter

MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

First thank you for your answers, it is really useful to read different opinions and American points of view

To Art,
    so I do not know if Ron has changed something in the width, anyway 30" at the foot will still fit
    as for the Solplex, that is an interesting tent but the width is only 30" head to foot that is not enough and I am afraid the door could flap because there is no zipper

To John,
    I am sure you know these tents very well, but I would say the Skyscape is easier to set up because there are only 5 pegs, there are 10 for the Hexamid solo plus (in a rocky ground it could be a hard job!)
    the skyscape X is lighter .15 + 5 pegs versus .16 + 10 pegs
    No?

the problem with cuben shelter is that it is so expensive that you are afraid of buying the wrong one!

read you soon!

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

If you review my Solo SUL/XUL Fully Enclosed Shelter Comparison spreadsheet you will see that the Heximid (including the solo, solo-plus, and solplex) have a lighter TSW than the Skyscape X.

As for the SMDSX being easier to setup because it has less stakes… well yeah, it does have less stakes, but, it also an an internal apex spreader bar that requires WAAAAAY more effort to setup than the single pole of the hexamid shelters – which is unquestionably the easiest fully enclosed solo shelter that exists in regards to setting up.

In the end, ease of setup plays (or should play) very little part in the decision making process of either of these shelters. I still refer back to my post about on what should be the deciding factors.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I must say the hexamid solo is stupid easy to setup, the one pole design, and the non stretch cuben material make it go up quick.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I agree with John on all points and I've only set up the "X" one time. I had the Hexamid last summer, was hoping for something with a smaller footprint, but have not arrived there yet. I can see the spreader bar is going to be the slow point in set up for the "X". In buying the "X", I went off mostly John's reveiw of it.
    Duane

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I would just like to add that it is rare that I use all 10 stakes when setting up my Hexamid Solo plus. I really only use 6. And as others mentioned, it is very easy to set up.

Jim Jessop
    BPL Member

@stokeyjim

I have a hexamid but went for the tarp option with separate hexanet inner (which was available for the standard hexamid at the time I bought it and I get along fine with it).

The reaon for this for me was I wanted the capacity to separate the equivalent of fly-sheet and inner. I want to do this for times when the shelter is very wet and especially where it is wet externally from rain, but also internally in times of heavy condensation which, whilst it can often be managed, will be inevitable on occasion with this type of shelter.

What is the impact with the Skyscape X (or the regular net floor hexamid) from not being able to separate inner and out when wet externally from rain and internally from condensation?

What strategies do users have to manage this and minimise impacts of getting the inner and groundsheet wet when packing away? and so the inner is all dry and not still wet when set up the next night (especially if rain is continuous)?

John Davis
    BPL Member

@jcd

Locale: Southeast

I own a Hexamid long which is a fast and easy pitch. For me I am more focused on weather protection than set up speed. The difference in time is not an issue. Have looked at the Skyscape x for a while but have hesitated wondering if there is enough head room for a 6 footer without the mesh encroaching too much.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

which is unquestionably the easiest fully enclosed solo shelter that exists in regards to setting up

I still haven't seen anyone setting up another shelter in 50 sec as I have done with the Moment and Contrail.
    No doubt that shelter is easy to do but I question the unquestionably…

MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

well…

to refer to John's deciding factors, I will say I want a shelter with greater weather protection,
    the Hexamid does not go close to the ground and even with the beak it must be windy inside

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Good point Franco.
    Duane

John Davis
    BPL Member

@jcd

Locale: Southeast

Definitely breezy in the Hexamid which is fine unless it's really cold. I just used it on the A.T. last weekend. The cold one night – mid 20's and 25mph winds – was more of an issue than the rain for the next 2 nights. I stayed completely dry. It is a great set up but I think I will look for something else I can use for more cold/wind protection in the late fall/winter.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Respectfully, ask yourself why you carry a shelter in the first place?

From what do you want shelter?

from bugs?

from weather?

from observation by others?

from the world in general?

Personally, I prefer to sleep out under the sky whenever possible. My shelter is purely for weather protection. Which shelter and how robust it has to be depend on where I'm going and what weather extremes I can reasonably expect to encounter. I am willing to take whatever time is required to properly place and erect that shelter.

My sleeping bag and head net or insect repellant keep most of the bugs off of me. The microfiber shell on my sleeping bag and/or my wind shirt keeps the wind and anything it carries away. No tent is a fort; four legged critters can easily rip through any shelter I could reasonably carry, and I'm not doing anything that I need to keep hidden from others nearby. If it offends you, look somewhere else!

YMMV

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

But that mean ol' Henry Shires won't make one. So I'll just get the regular Moment DW.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools