Topic

source for patterns

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear source for patterns

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Eldred
    BPL Member

@celdred

Locale: Mountains!

hey all,
    i am interested in making a quilt, synthetic pants and adding an insulated hood to a synthetic jacket that I own. i already have the materials (ripstop nylon, insulation, elastic, drawcords, etc.) i just need the patterns. I was considering using the Green Pepper Cold Weather Hood for the insulated hood and The Rain Shed Unisex Pullover Pants for the insulated pants. For the sleeping quilt I was going to use one of the many online guides (can someone recommend a good one?)

I have two questions:
    Does anyone have an experience in extending these patterns to insulated garments rather than fleece/single layer garments? And does anyone have other recommendations for patterns?

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Check out this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=3932&disable_pagination=1

A couple of people posted patterns with measurements for a quilt. I used them as starting point and customized them to my own needs to make a quilt that I am very happy with.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

green pepper has great patterns, and if you watch the ads for fabric stores (joann's fabrics, hancock fabrics, etc) you can often find them at a substantial discount (maybe $2 instead of $10)
    i would definately check a couple of stores, or just the websites, because there have got to be a few great 4th of july sales going on right now!

(p.s. i have not used the specific patterns you are considering, but i do know from personal experience and word of mouth that green pepper has very good patterns overall)

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

I've used the directions on the thur-hiker webiste to make a hood. He's got pictures of the pattern but I don't think a PDF or anything to down load. Check the site under the workshop area.

He's also got some directions on how to make a down quilt in the same area. I don't think it would be hard to use them for insulated.

http://www.thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp

another idea would be to just pattern one from a jacket or wind breaker you already have. Use cotton or something easy to sew. I bet you'll make one or two and have it nailed

You can do a seach on this site and I made a pair of insulated pants from a patter I already had.

I've used a few patterns from the rain sheld and gree pepper. I was very happy.

JFF

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools