Topic

Havasupai Canyon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Havasupai Canyon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Kathy Bartosh

@sumo

Locale: Southern Quebec

Wow! Thanks for the link. It seems almost impossible that this place could exist.

I had never seen a photo of the village until today.

We did 4 parks on that trip (GC, ZION, BRYCE & DEATH V.) so time was tight. (We live in Montreal.) Next time, we'll see Mooney falls & also do all of Bright Angel. Mid-July is not the best time to do those hikes!

Happy trails!

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I took my nephews Boy Scout troop here on a 2 night backpacking trip this last President's Day Weekend. Many changes from 4 years ago.

1) Navajo Falls was destroyed in the last big flood. There is a waterfall in its place, about 300 yards upstream.
    2) The silt from the washout buried the campground, in my opinion improved the surface you camp on.
    3) The silt also filled the pools below both Havasu and Mooney falls.
    4) The creek cut a new channel through the middle of the campground, there is some minor damming and construction underway restoring it to the old channel on the northside of the campground. Not sure if there is any intent to fill the new channel.
    5) The flood rerouted Havasu Falls. It used to be split into two streams, it now flows only over the south side. It is still beautiful, but I think less so.
    6) The flood also destroyed the spring house. There is still water available, but now they advise treating it before drinking.
    7) The pit toilets in the campground are now composting, they were well maintained. Contrary to previous visits they were well maintained. (I hate to think that the old toilets guts, feathers, and all now sit at the bottom of Lake Mead)
    8) The cafe in the village has reopened. For the first time in my several visits spanning 25 years it was actually clean and I wasn't afraid of getting something to eat there.

Other notes, the trail from Hualupai Hilltop to Supai Village is strewn with litter, no real change here but still a shame.

All in all we had an enjoyable trip, great weather (warm enough for a swim).

I'll get around to posting some pics soon.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

After several failed attempts I finally got the pics to upload.

The "new" Navajo Falls
    The "new" Navajo Falls

The Campground
    The Campground

Mooney Falls
    Mooney Falls

Havasu Falls
    Havasu Falls

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools