Topic

“Faux-dini”: 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 – Initial Review and Sourcing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Faux-dini”: 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 – Initial Review and Sourcing

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 422 total)
  • Author
    Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

"Edit: Or if anyone has found a substitute for a similar price I would appreciate it."

Anyone tried this one yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKBROS-Tour-de-France-Cycling-Wind-Coat-Rain-Coat-Green-/110863801948?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&var=&hash=item19cfff5e5c

Looks to be similar, only it's available in a 3XL size. Priced at $19.99 with free shipping, so its close enough in price to catch my interest. There's a couple of other color options as well if you search eBay.

I'm 6'3", right about 190 lbs right now and I picked up one of the "Jack Wolfskin" labeled jackets from this thread in XXL. I've used it now on a couple of day hikes and it works well, but as with most other tall folks on the forum it ends up a bit short in the arms, in my case about 2 inches. When I find one that fits better, I'll give this one to my son.

I think I'll give that Rockbros jacket a try and order one tonight. If its anything like the other one discussed in this thread (only larger), it might be an answer for those of us over 6'.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Ok…sure, I bought a green XXL for myself and a L blue for my wife….and for the sheer curiosity, a set of 6 lego minifigures. I'll be able to tell on the lego if they are super close or not even close, especially since my son already has 2 of the 6 minifigures.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Interesting. The fabric looks different (shiny!) from the Faux-dini in this thread, and presence of the mesh insert on the Rockbros jacket makes me wonder if it is really "breathable"…so it'll be great to hear your review when you get the jacket.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

I noticed this too, but the picture of the tag says that its breathable (yes, I know…), so I'm hoping that its a similar fabric as the original Faux-dini, and that the pictures just make it look shinier. There is another jacket under the "SOBIKE NENK" brand at the same price and also comes in XXXL (although with different measurements shown for their XXXL than the Rockbros). It doesn't look shiny at all in the pics, and shows it as the same material (100% Polyester Tricot & Flexible TPU) as the Rockbros. I actually chose the Rockbros to try because I prefer the green and the other one only comes in white.

I'm actually more concerned about the sizing and if its going to be similar to the original Faux-dini. I've seen others listed as "Asian sizing" or "Petite sizing", but this one doesn't say anything. An XXXL here in the states would be like a giant poncho on me. It does have a size chart in cm, but its seems that all of the jackets from Asia have a different size range. I'm just going with the XXXL and see how it comes. Again, its only $20, but it'd be nice if I got something I could use out of it.

I will post a report when I get the jacket.

J Mag

@goprogator

Yesssssssss. This pleases me…

Thanks for taking the bullet on this one. Can't wait to hear how it turns out (hopefully great of course).

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

I received the Rockbros wind jacket today. One week to ship from from China isn't too bad at all. As I mentioned, I ordered the 3XL size, hoping it would be the right fit. The good news is that it appears to be comparable to an XL (maybe a tad larger) here in the US. At 6' 3", 190 lbs, it appears to be the perfect size to allow the use of the Montbell UL Down or other insulating jacket underneath it. Sleeve length is just right for me with a little to spare. Here is a pic with the original Faux-dini in XXL for comparison:

photo RockbrosXXXL.jpg

It weighs 4.0 oz on my scale, compared to the 2.7 oz for the XXL Faux-dini. I was hoping for a little closer to 3.5 oz, but it is a much larger jacket so it seems to be in the ballpark. It has elastic around the hood, but no drawstring, and no pockets. It comes with a small mesh stuff bag. The material appears to be a stronger, more durable material than the Faux-dini.

Now to the question of breathability. As was mentioned in the previous posts, it has a shinier, more raincoat like material, and does not appear to breathe nearly as well as the Faux-dini. Air definitely permeates the Faux-dini much better. I pressed my mouth against the Faux-dini and air clearly passes through. With the Rockbros, the material flexes outward like a balloon and doesn't seem to allow much air through at all. I realize that this is not a truly accurate test, but its not nearly as pourous as the Faux-dini. I have a feeling its going to be "semi-breathable", kind of like the Dri-Ducks material. It does have vents in the armpits which may help some, and it did come with a tag like the one pictured in the eBay ad assuring me that it had good moisture permeability, and of it's ability to allow body vapor to pass freely (they misspelled it) between the membrane. I am hoping they are right. I would have taken it up to the mountains today to try it out, but I am nursing an ear infection so that will have to wait about a week.

Because it looked like it might be geared more toward rain than wind, I threw it on and took a shower. While I believe it would get you through some drizzle and light rain if needed, it is clearly not a rain jacket and soaks through under the deluge of a shower fairly quickly. Its water resistant, but definitely not waterproof.

Bottom line – Size wise, it is exactly what I was hoping for. If it breathes a little better than I think it will, it may be a valid option for people up to 6'5" or so. I'm not sure yet if I will be taking it on a thru-hike, it will need some field testing and I have some concerns about the breathability. But either way, it will likely find a place in my daypack.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Tom,
    Thanks for the initial impressions review (very thorough!!!). It will be interesting to read the follow-up when you've had a chance to take it outside.

Get well soon!

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

"Or if anyone has found a substitute for a similar price I would appreciate it."

Check the W's Champion Lightweight Jacket sold at Costco for $13.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

What are current good sources for the [breathable] Hooded Faux-dini? Is this the latest: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ultralight-uvioresistant-Waterproof-Rain-Wind-Coat-Cycling-Jacket-Jersey-G-/261399212290?var=560294614914

Is what the seller calls Dark Green to the right of the Yellow jacket in the center?

I'm looking for a U.S. Large for myself (6 ft tall, 175 lbs, 42 in. chest, 34 in. sleeves) and a U.S. Women's Medium for my wife (5 ft 6 tall, 130 lbs, size 6-8 depending on cut).

I think I'd be a Chinese XXL and what size would I order for the Ms.?

We have very breathable pre-2012 Patagonia Houdinis which are going strong, but could use a second hooded windshell as we use them so much we wind up having to wash our Houdinis often.

Tom, feel better soon.

Delmar, is that Champion jacket a) breathable b) hooded? How much does it weigh?

Thank you to all who tested and narrowed down sizing. Looks like a very nice find.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Has anyone determined if this faux-dini is bug-proof?

TIA

KJ

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

"Check the W's Champion Lightweight Jacket sold at Costco for $13."

I happened to be driving by a Costco today after lunch, so I swung in to check this jacket out. It took me a while to find it, but finally did.

It looks to be a decent wind jacket, and the blue one appears "manly" enough to wear (the rest are clearly women's colors). But it looks to be made of a heavier material than the Faux-dini. I didn't bring a scale with me, but I would guess in the 6-8 oz range for the XL. I could very well be wrong. I'm hoping someone else will check it out as well and see what they think.

To answer EJ's questions, it does appear to be very breathable, but does not have a hood.

kristen buckland
    Spectator

@buckie06

Locale: Colorado

I bought the XL from this link and it fits me pretty similar to a Women's Medium. Maybe a touch big but that lets me wear layers under it. I would not want to get a smaller size, i'm 5'10 and 150lbs and typically wear women's mediums

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261399212290?var=560294614913&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

I'm 5'10 175lbs and bought a green XXL and it fits great in the chest…and…as previously documented, the sleeves are about 2 inches too short.

The green is a great color….I also bought a L blue for my wife and I think the blue is a bit too "feminine" so I'm glad I bought the green.

And….I bought some ShengYuan lego minifigs out of curiosity…and wow…I am blown away. Their ability to counterfeit is incredible.

J Mag

@goprogator

Think I'm going to have to pick up one of those rockbros. Very interested in how it would perform on a real hike.

I currently use a poncho tarp as my shelter, so it would actually be nice if the jacket was more water resistant for when setting up camp. That should also make it a better wind blocker obviously.

Shame that it's over an once heavier than the other one, but sounds like it would be worth it if the breathability is passable.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Reporting back on my trials of the Rockbros jacket since I've had a chance to try out on a few day hikes and an overnighter, and I am giving it a positive review. I've only put in about 12 miles or so actually wearing the jacket while hiking, but so far it seems to breathe better than my initial impression led me to believe, and was comfortable when the wind was chilly. When it warmed up, there was some condensation visible on the inside, but very little and I never felt it. It definitely does not breathe as well as the Faux-dini, but it is not the sweat box that I was concerned that it might be just by looking at the material, and seems to breathe much better than something like Dri-Ducks, which I don't find very breathable. I'm satisfied enough to include it in my regular hiking gear and even on a thru-hike if I were so inclined.

Bottom line: If both the Faux-dini and the Rockbros were available in my size and if I could only choose one, I'd take the Faux-dini, just because it seems to be made of a bit more comfortable and breathable fabric, although I think the Rockbros may be a bit more durable and abrasion resistant. But being that Faux-dini is not available in my size, I believe that the Rockbros is a valid and affordable alternative that does the job.

BTW: I saw some jackets the other day that looked very similar to the Rockbros, same material as well, in a cycling shop for more than 3 times the money.

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Locale: United States

I have never really used a windshirt so keep that in mind. After all the talk on here I wanted to try one so I had to try to track down one of these Faux-Dinis. This is the one I ended up ordering. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171587812440

They are all pretty garish colors but I went for the yellow in XXL. I like to walk at night and no one could miss me in this thing. I'm 6'2" 160 lbs and I was worried that the XXL might not be large enough, particularly in the sleeves. However I am very pleased with how it fits. I suppose the sleeves could be a tad longer and maybe a little closer fitting in the chest but that's really just being nit picky. I doubt a brand name one would have fit any better. I liked it enough I ordered one for my wife.

It seems like it is exceptionally breathable. I packs into it's own pocket and has a fold away hood and cinches for the waist and hood. It took about two weeks or so straight from China. For those who are concerned about such things it doesn't seem like they're trying to rip off any brand,that I've heard of at least.The name on the jacket is Outto and is reminiscent of the Italian soccer company Lotto. Unfortunately I don't have a scale, blasphemy I know, but it seems exceptionally light.

Now I just need to figure out the best conditions for a wind jacket ;)

If you have any questions feel free to fire away.

Wind Jacket

Wind Jacket 2

Wind Jacket 3

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Lotto is a sportswear manufacturer, mostly clothing but started as a sport shoes (tennis first) manufacturer.
    Yes the name and logo are somewhat similar but if nothing else not the same .
    (they sponsored Juventus, my team, along other clubs)

Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

Locale: Midwest

I am a big fan of the original jacket posted but never cared for how short the sleeves were, other than that I felt it outperformed my pre 2012 Houdini. I recently came across a new offering on Ebay that looks very similar; it looks to be thin uncoated nylon. Also there are no pockets or mock collar and it appears to be in Men's sizing instead of unisex. I pulled the trigger on a size XXL, I have an XXL in the original poster's jacket. I will report back once I receive this and test it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Wind-Jacket-Lightweight-Cycling-Windshell-Running-Windbreaker-Sportswear-/251961090630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3aaa0d2246

**Update**
    I received this jacket in XXL, the sizing is near identical to the OP jacket, which sadly means the sleeves are a bit short. However the fabric is near identical and it is lighter than the OP jacket was in the same size. Size XXL weighs in at 3.0 oz on my scale.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Tim, the jacket looks good…what does it weigh?

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

I always thought Lotto was a soccer company but I guess that's just because that's all I ever saw. I had some sweet Lotto blue suede indoor soccer shoes that I wore everywhere as a kid. I don't really follow any team in particular but I try to watch as much premier league and champions league as possible. It hasn't been a whole lot since we moved onto an RV. I am going to try to catch a Sounders game before we move on though ;)

I'm not sure on the weight, as I said I don't have a scale. However, I am going to the post office today so I'll get them to weigh it, lol. I'd guess 4 or 5 ozs but that's just a shot in the dark.

I've wore it a few times now and it definitely breathes very well.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Tim, thanks so much for the further feedback andif you can get a weighr, tbat would be.wonderfull.. I am thinking that at 5-10 and 195 pounds with a 44" chest, the XXL will fit me fine.

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

I forgot to get it weighed the last time I was at the post office but I weighed it yesterday. It weighs exactly 4oz.

So far I love it, I feel like it adds as much heat as my Mezzaluna 100wt fleece hoody, at least while I'm moving around. Also it seems to breath extremely well while still effectively blocking the wind. Certainly more versatile than a fleece. It's also great to combine the two in cooler, windy weather.

I used it in a very light rain the other day for about an hour and it kept me dry although I could still feel a random drop here or there go straight through.

It could probably be lightened up if you didn't want the two cinches each at the waist and the hood along with the elastic. I personally like it being a full featured jacket. Pockets, fold away hood, and all.

It's great to stuff it into it's own pocket and throw it in my day pack. More versatile than a fleece while being much smaller and lighter. Plus with that obnoxious color it would be great in an emergency, lol. I actually like it because I walk a lot at night and when a light hits it, it lights up. As a bonus you could wear it to a rave party and you'd light up like a jack-o-lantern.

P.S. I just got a high power wifi extender and since I still have cable at my house for the tenants, I'm going to be able to stream any soccer games that come on the ESPN networks. Copa oro, vengo aquí. I can also get Jacksonville Armada games!

P.P.S. This México vs. Costa Rica game is heating up!

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

The jacket for my wife came in and it's functional identical to mine. Although the orange details are still a bit shocking, overall the blue is much more subdued. It also looks less"girly" than I thought it might from the ebay photos. This time it also had a tag on it.

Blue Cycling Jacket

Eric “Hearsay” Payne
    BPL Member

@ultrapayne

Locale: Mimbres Basin

It’s time for a revival of this great thread:  any update on a similar faux-dini in 2016?  I’ve seen oodles on eBay, but with no weight or sizing details, it’s tough to pull the trigger.  Help anyone?

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio
Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 422 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools