Topic

Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Fantastic report, Ike! It looks like you caught the fall colors at the perfect time!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Ike, A really nice report. I was planning a trip out this fall but got tied up with other things…dam-it. This was a different route. I have done bothe the NPT and NFCT but not up the Cold River. Yeah, the beaver ponds were full of small brookies.
    Enjoyed reading the article!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Absolutely outstanding Ike :-) trips like this make mine look like a walk in a big garden.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Nice to see another trip report about the ADK mtns. Are you carrying a tarp along with your bivy as well for when it rains? How was the fishing along your trip? I was in the western ADK region near Canada lakes and in the Cold River section of the NPT quite a bit this year as well, nice to see it from another perspective!

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Thanks for taking us along on the journey Ike!

Really liking the photos from this trip. The fall colors are beautiful and there's some great shots of you hiking/packrafting with taken from interesting perspectives. Looks like you must've been using a low tripod like a gorilla pod or something?

Would be interested to see what your gear list looked like for this trip, including camera equipment.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

I've been up in many of those areas, but hadn't seen anyone with the packraft…and fantastic photos to boot!

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm always hungry after reading your trip reports!

Anthony Huhn
    BPL Member

@anthonyjhuhn

Locale: Mid West

Wow, you ate better than I do at home. I have no clue how you foodies do it

Anthony

Stephen Owens
    BPL Member

@walknhigh

Locale: White Mtns, AZ

Try fishing rod ferrule lube/wax on your paddle next time. Any wax will do.

George Earle
    Spectator

@georgelearle

Ike; Thanks for the great trip report. You obviously know a lot about outdoor photography. Your composition, exposures and focus are all excellent. And you obviously took the considerable extra time and effort to set up a mini-tripod and check the composition, exposures, etc. before placing yourself in the frame.
    As a former magazine writer, photographer and editor I recognize and appreciate your talent. I hope you are using those skills in your career. Believe me, your talent is far above average.

George

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I don't know how you do it, but this one is better than the last article. Whew!

Cynthia Lovejoy

@cyndylovejoy

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I really enjoyed this report and your beautiful photos. I'm glad you did not encounter any aggressive bears. Thanks for sharing!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Really good read and lovely pictures. I need to do more multi-day trips!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Excellent TR and pictures. Two thumbs up!!

John Joyner
    BPL Member

@jjoyner

Locale: California central coast

I just have to echo the poster who said, "Now that is how a trip report is done."

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Great article showcasing a place I thought was simply flat lakes.(Ack! make that flat lands)

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

Excellent Ike! Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to do a proper trip report. I haven't been up that way since the '70s Real enjoyable read.

That sausage does look delicious too.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"flat lakes"

Are there any other kind?

*I too, was impressed by the white-water action shots.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"Take my breath away….(*dun, dun, dun)"

I have a new man crush.

Ike, I loved the hell out of this TR.

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

I will add to the pile of positive comments. Thank you for this trip report. Way to go on getting out into the wild and exploring and wandering.

karl hafner
    BPL Member

@khafner

Locale: upstate NY

Great article. Flor those of us who grew up with the adks this was not only well done but a trip down memory lane. I see the dam at cedar lakes must be getting worse as the water level looked low. Keep the stories coming. Thank you

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Thank you for sharing your adventure. Beautiful photos, such eye candy for this desert dweller to see. Great job.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Articles like this make me homesick for the place, despite loving the last almost 40 years of tramping all over the Rockies. My wife says I get a faraway look when I get my copy of Adirondack Life, and I had the same look when I read this article. Retirement may bring me back for more muddy footed adventures where I grew up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools