Topic

Kat's Mountain Lion Photos (Trail Camera Photography)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Kat's Mountain Lion Photos (Trail Camera Photography)

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 472 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Don't recognize that particular cut on the ear. This is the closest camera from the house, just one curve above toward the water tank. I really should just put a camera right by the house.. @Ken. That would have been a great ( sad) shot. Halloween

Anonymous
    Inactive

This one looks like a mean customer. I wonder how the one that gave him/her the cut fared?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Tom he does not look very happy, does he? Here is a pic I took this morning near that camera. Now my hands are small, so even though it is a big track, it is not that huge. Tracks Edited: I just noticed at the top right of the mountain lion track is my dog's track too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Now my hands are small, so even though it is a big track, it is not that huge." He may not be big, but a small cat with a big "attitude" can be a world of trouble for a much bigger adversary. Makes me wonder if he isn't the one who put a couple of dents in that bigger cat you got pictures of earlier. It's not exactly a big neighborhood, and it seems like they would probably have run across each other at some point. Just thinking.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

A lot more bobcats lately than mountain lions. I will upload some nice shots with ocean view soon.

I made this video a little over a year ago. I am in the process of adding new stuff and deleting some old stuff and probably changing the music too. So here is the old version, which took me way too long to make, all on my iPad, without previous experience.

And one of my favorite videos :)

https://vimeo.com/130700832

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Did you see 60 Minutes piece http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-mountain-lions-of-los-angeles/

They had some trail camera pictures but Kat’s are better : )

They also had video of cat snoozing under house and so forth.

There are a bunch in the Santa Monica Mountains.  Sad, because it’s too small an area, and it’s landlocked, and they’re becoming inbred.  They would like to build a bridge over the freeway, like they have in Banff, to let the Mountain Lions come and go, but it’s expensive.

Interesting that they anesthetized one, and when it wore off, the humans just sat there and eventually that cat woke up and ran off.  I would be scared to be that close.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

So very cool. Thanks for sharing.

We have a camera my husband uses a lot to record animals coming and going to water here in Arizona. We have yet to capture a mountain lion on film, but are hopeful. Lots of javalina, deer, foxes and coyotes. Currently we are watching a young coyote who lost part of his rear foot, he’s been around our ranch for over two years now and has survived despite the injury.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I like it when they interact with the camera – rub against it or whatever

I know, I shouldn’t, better for them to be wild : )

Can you take video kat?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Kat,

The video is fabulous. There is so much wildlife around us when we backpack and we never see the majority. I especially enjoyed the eagles.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Nick @ Farwalker Thanks for the kind words.  I have enjoyed my tracking and placing cameras and the results of that work. I had no idea there was so much going on.

@ Jerry. I have a lot of video, yes. I have not seen 60 minutes but I know Joanna and Dan and have seen most of their wonderful footage.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This camera spot has been so busy I could  make an three hour movie with the wildlife cruising by.

This is just a little sampling

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This this has been a great spot as well. Mountain lions seem to mostly come by here at night but bobcats make the rounds all the time no matter what time of day or night. The view here is really special. That is not the only view of the ocean; to the ( our) left, past the little hill is an ever wider view of the pacific, looking south west. This here is north west.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

And and from other cameras..

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Here kitty kitty!

those are fabulous Kat!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thank you Jennifer!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

A BIG Like!

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

The bobcats photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing the set.

How many collared mountain lions are in your area? Just noticed the one from your Feb 7 posting.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

The newest pictures, in reverse order. He hung out here scratching for quite a while.

Also, in mixed order….I set a camera here on Saturday in front of a fallen log on the trail. Before cutting it I wanted to see how different animals negotiate it. Over the last two weeks it looks like lots of creatures go under it but I figured cats go over it. He did not jump, he went over slowly, using some rotten pieces to step up a bit.

@Steofan

about a third of the ones I get on trailcamera are collared. One is currently wearing a collar that is so tight it is choking it. It’s an adult male, growing a bigger neck and head and has a hard time breathing even on a cold night. It’s a long conversation, the collaring…..lots of good comes from the project but also quite a bit of bad, including the accidental killing of several kittens by the dogs used to tree the cats. No one is supposed to know about that though.  Anyway.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Yea well, we lost the jaguar down here cause they over drugged him while handling him for repeated collaring…..really caused an uproar. As it should.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@farwalker

Sad. At least, unlike here, they told people.

Like I said, good intentions and lots of good results  too, but some weird stuff going on as well.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

SO much fun to see your cat photos, Kat!  Always puts a big smile on my face… I consider myself privileged to see bobcats from time to time (photo below is from last Sunday’s walk).  Your PNW bobcats are so fluffy compared with our desert kitties.  What exquisite animals!

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Awesome pics, as we are coming to expect ;)

Unrelated to Kat’s cats, but thought others might find this cool:

http://www.oaklandmagazine.com/Parks-and-Panthera-Study-the-East-Bays-Big-Cats/

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Valerie. Thank you. Nice bobcat there. I am in Central Coastal Cali and our bobcats are not as big and fluffy as further north. Some of the ones I get have more of an actually Lynx look, bigger and with that interesting nose. Others resemble our house cats more.

@Sharon
    . Thanks. That is a nice organization you linked too. They share a lot and not invasive in their research, which I have come to appreciate.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

A new trail camera manufacturer sent me some cameras for free….hoping to get some big kitties .

Didn’t take very long…..

I messed up when setting up the date…one of those day/month/year things ….so date is wrong. This was Monday in the middle of the day, foggy and rainy.

By the way, I am getting some postcards made and should have them in about 10 days. Hopefully I will be allowed to offer some of them for sale here on BPL :)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Did you follow the correct disclosure rules?  : )

We don’t want to stress Ian and Doug, they may not have another in them…

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 472 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools