Topic

Santa Cruz Mountains. Private land to public land trails.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Santa Cruz Mountains. Private land to public land trails.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I have been exploring some of the trails that start from my house and I am amazed at the work that has been done and the amount of trails that meander up and down these mountains. I walked for hours today and did not even put a dent in what is right here to explore. The trail that starts where me my driveway ends, splits around and over the mountains in many directions. Eventually, after several miles is crosses some Cali Poly land and then back to private land and then into the State Park system. One could hike from here to Castle Rock State Park or Waddell Creek or other places. Some trails have not been maintained since the "trailblazer woman" died almost three years ago. Others have been cleared a bit more recently. Once the trails get higher into the Chalks there is less bush whacking to do.

I have been thinking about getting a small ( 4 to 5 people) group and exploring from here. I can get maps from the land owners, as well as permission. There is a beautiful waterfall, incredible views and plenty of poison oak. Cars could be parked by my cabin.

Mileage depends on what we want to do, there are enough trails to go for days and days.

I would rather not say the exact location here, but it is north of Santa Cruz.

Any interest in an unconventional hike?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"There is a beautiful waterfall, incredible views and plenty of poison oak."

This has been a good year for the poison oak harvest.

–B.G.–

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

That sounds incredibly cool! I'll be watching for more details.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Have been curious about these ever since you told me about the trail lady. I'm interested.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Sharon and Marc,
    Do you have a date that would work for you?
    As far as the exact details I would keep them to private messages.
    Also, you can crash at my place if we want an early start.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Count me interested. I've been exploring official trails in these mountains for over 30 years, only crossing into private land when I get "lost", e.g. the sign says "No Trespassing" on the other side of that gate, how did I get here?

Dates: Before, during, or after rainy season? Should start any day now, I hope.

— Rex

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I'm down if dates work. (I'm a school teacher if that helps get a handle on things, ie; holidays, long weekends, etc) PM's work or email me directly at jamie_d_14 at yahoo dot com. Sounds like a blast and I hope things will work out.
    Thanks,
    James

Bruce LaBelle
    BPL Member

@blabelle

Locale: Auburn, CA or on an adventure

I'm interested. I've always been intrigued by that area, but never had a chance to explore it. I'm often available Fri-Mon for four-day adventures, or other days with more advanced notice.

Bruce (LaBelle)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I wish….

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I will look at maybe early December dates and pm you guys with more detail.

I wish you could make it as well, Doug.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Sounds neat if you aren't full up.

Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

Interested, depending on date(s)!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools