Topic

Home Made Tent Stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Home Made Tent Stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

These things can be used as tent stakes. They work well in my lawn. Haven't used them in the field.

ss

What are they? Not sure. I bought them off of a rack of accessories in a store that sold yarn, knitting supplies, etc.

I was attracted to them because of their elegance. They are hollow aluminum tubes coming to a sealed and slightly rounded point at each end. I have no idea how they make such things.

They were cheap but I can't tell you how cheap because I bought them years ago. Here's what I do know:

They are a little over 9.5" long and weigh about 11 grams each. They are .362" in diameter (a little less than 3/8").

I modified one end of one of them to get rid of the point. That one now weighs about 9.5 grams.

I added the cap from a pen to another one and that now weighs about 12.5 grams.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Knitting needles.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Thanks John. Knitting needles it is.

They seem to be readily available on the internet. Looks like the single point ones with heads would be the best choice.

Their chief advantage appears to be that some are cheap($1.50 each or less) and light. I've only tried them in my lawn, however. No real world testing to offer…….yet.

I think ones with diameters less than the ones in my op would be prone to bending but the ones I showed in the photo feel pretty stiff.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Try some aluminum gutter spikes.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Dale how much does the gutter spikes weigh?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Dale,

I like the gutter spikes too. They would work better in hard ground than the knitting needles.

I think these knitting needles would have the advantage in soft ground (e.g. my yard) due to their larger diameter and length.

Dan, the gutter spike and unmodified knitting needle in the photo below both weigh about 11 grams.

xx

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don't know how much those knitting needles cost, but the below are 75 cents per stake if you buy one pack, fairly light, probably more durable than the above, and already conveniently set up for the purpose of tent stakes.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Just,

Hard to beat those Coghlan stakes and you might be able to knit with them too.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I think there are threads about the lower quality Coghlans bending easily even though they are Y stakes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, they do bend somewhat easily (just bent one this last weekend), but i doubt they would be any weaker than knitting needles. If they were made out of a higher grade aluminum they would be pretty sweet.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

I think I posted in the wrong forum. The multi-use forum would have been better.

For those of you who already carry a half dozen fat/long aluminum knitting needles when backpacking this idea gives you stakes at no extra weight.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Now you've done it Daryl, all the UL fanatics are out destroying their partner's knitting needles. You are a chaos creator…

Anonymous
    Inactive

(and if you listen closely and hard enough, you just may hear Daryl in the background laughing manically and with a sinister tone, "Bhwahahahahaha").

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Turns out Boye is the company that makes these aluminum knitting needles.

Found them at Joann Fabric so I ordered a couple sizes to experiment.

Here's a link showing the #13 size, 10" long, single point. you'll have to scroll down the page to see them.

here

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools