Topic

Enlightened Equipment Enigma WIDE now avaliable

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Enlightened Equipment Enigma WIDE now avaliable

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

New sizes now available for built to order Enigmas. Short and all the Wide widths have been added.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/?product_cat=enigma

I know many of you are interested in the WIDES (and short/Wide and Long/Wide) and they are all now up on the site for orders. Talked to the water jet guy today and I'll have templates in hand this week, maybe as soon as WED.

-Tim

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

You just made a lot of people happy.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

That's what I do, I make dreams come true!

-Tim

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Tim, I'm sorry, but you are an evil, evil man. Please stop…for the love of god, please stop making such awesome quilts that I have to buy…..

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Like I need a third EE quilt . . . But it's ordered anyway, 30F Regular/Wide, I think I need to find a 12-step group.

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

If anyone is 5' 11" and gets a regular length Emigma, please let us know how the fit works. Does it come to your neck, your chin, half way up your face? I am 5' 11" and can pull the regular length RevX almost over my head if I am sleeping on my side curled up a bit.

Thanks!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Paul,

It is a few inches shorter than the Revelation style quilts. The Rev footbox has more wiggle in sizing because of the closure system and can actually fit upto 6' 3" if pulled tight. The Enigma is a true 5'11" you might pull off 6' but its more set due to the sewn footbox

-Tim

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Hi Paul,

My regular 50d Enigma arrived this weekend and I decided to sleep in it Sunday night. Although I am 74" and technically "should have" gotten the long, I got the mild weather quilt, and vary rarely sleep on my back so I wasn't too concerned about it's length. When I got in the quilt and laid out on my back with my toes touching the bottom of the bag, it came just barely over the tops of my shoulder blades (EDIT: It might have been up to my chin. I need to check this again). When sleeping on my side, I could pull the top up over my ears (as I recall).

Given that it is for mild weather use, I very much was less concerned about it being a little short. If I were to have gotten a quilt for colder weather, I would have likely gotten a long. But I trust Tim, and if he says the Regular length comfortably fits up to 5'-11", than it will probably fit you perfectly.

Finally, I am simply blown away by how light it is. I think it's lighter than the storage sack of the next lightest sleeping bag I have.

Matt

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

I have a sub 10 ounce quilt I made that when let go in the air, it does more of a glide down than a drop.

I'm just a little upset that I didn't think of his baffling system first and give him the idea.

But then Tim lives eats and breaths quilts, so I guess I'm just jealous.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for the added options Tim.

I can't find my tape measurer but my shoulder girth is ~ 62". For example, I can't zip the regular length Marmot Plasma past my shoulders.

I see that your wide is 58". If I use your straps, will I fit in this quilt as a side sleeper? Is it safe to assume the way it connects to the pad will add another 10"?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Ian,

I'm 63" at the shoulders and have slept on my side with a Regular width, not ideal but I did it. I used the elastic straps and had little draft issues. With pad straps and a wide I'm totally covered. If you toss and turn a lot you may want to wait for the XWIDE

Aaron, what baffles did you use in that quilt?

-Tim

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Tim,

I measured around my shoulders and around my body at the level of my hanging elbows. The elbow measurement was longer by several inches.

I found the same with my brother and wife.

Is this typical?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"If you toss and turn a lot you may want to wait for the XWIDE"

I do and I will.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Yes you are wider at the elbow. But when side sleeping I doubt seriously your elbows are still at your side. The elbow width should be considered if you back sleep but the edges of the quilt don't need to be as close for back sleepers so they can use smaller quilts.

-Tim

scree ride

@scree

Are you planning these in your other quilts?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

A number of size and style changes will happen by spring if not sooner. The Enigma was me testing the waters for some changes. Obviously at its price I haven't sold tons but the feedback and reception has been good so far.

-Tim

scree ride

@scree

Too bad there isn't a search engine dealing strictly with the cottage industries. There just isn't enough exposure. It's great for me as a customer with the personal attention. It makes me feel kind of smart when I do come across a good company. None the less exposure means a greater product range.
    Salesman samples placed at the Farmer's Markets perhaps.
    Do a " No Zippers" campaign. Use your imagination.
    The enigma should sale. It looks like a niche market perhaps. It would be overkill for me. More for damp conditions it looks like.

Springtime will be about right for me.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I bought in for the weight, so I'll be a guinea pig, did not need the water resistant down, but no big deal. You are right though, when I do some searches, it is very limited to what I can come up with. BPL is one place I hang out at to pick up on new stuff. Just have not moved on to lighter alky stoves or Esbit type stoves.
    Duane

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Tim,

I used a sewn thru 14-6 karo style with 5.4oz of 900 fill.

Came out at 9.8oz.

Your Enigma blows this away, but this very warm.
    It's amazing how warm you can be with such little down if you have an effective quilt design.

Here are the pics

qw

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

Is there an official Enigma thread that discusses the merits of the baffle design going lengthwise instead of the traditional top quilt design? I know this is common in hammock underquilts, but is unusual for a top quilt. The price point on these seems reasonable assuming the down will stay in place and keep me warm.

I've never been one to feel like I need the ability to move down around in the quilt/bag. Quite the opposite in my first quilt I froze my azz off because the down moved around when I didn't want it to. I upgraded to a Rev-X from that first quilt because I hoped the Karo baffles would keep down in place better. I've been happy with it overall, but the down still moves on its own more than I would like.

I think I would really like to sell all my 30 degree bags and quilts and get one really top-notch super awesome quilt. I had my eye on the Katabatic Palisade, but am curious if the design of the Enigma is somehow better? The two big pluses on paper for the Enigma are less weight and less money! But my biggest concern is that I don't want to be cold. Period. I notice that there is significantly less down in the Enigma than the similarly rated Katabatic. For example the 30 degree Enigma in regular wide has 9.6 oz of 850 fp down and a baffle height of 2". The 30 degree Katabatic Palisade in regular wide has 12.2 oz 850 fp down with a baffle height of 2.25" Based on the numbers, the Katabatic should be warmer, right?

I honestly would rather buy another quilt from Tim, so any additional info to help me decide if the Enigma is the right quilt for me would be most appreciated.

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

Maybe this has been discussed, but how is the footbox set up? I understand you can't open it up at the bottom…. Is it sewn shut like a zpacks bag?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I think yes is the answer but haven't seen a Zpacks. Basically its Sean closed without adding the big circle that you find in more traditional bags.

-Tim

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Tim:

Did you see my (long) questions about the Enigma two posts back? If you would prefer to answer via e-mail that's fine.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I built these baffles to fix the issue every baffle has with down shift. Most baffles can be kept from shifting by adding lots of extra down but I wanted a design that didn't need extra down that's only purpose was to keep the baffle full. I wanted narrow vertical baffles but wanted to fill less total chambers. That desire lead me to build them in the u shape so it cuts the number of chambers in half. The result was faster/cheaper to stuff than straight vertical baffles with the added reduction in shift because the straight lines were shortened. The corners stop down movement and it will only go around the corner if you move it there. Vertical baffles shift less because the down can only move head to foot which is under much less gravitational force to shift than horizontal baffles when you sleep on your side.

-Tim

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

That makes sense to me. For the wide version, did you add a couple of baffles (as opposed to widening the existing number of baffles)? I would definitely need the wide version.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools