Topic

Sleeping bag comfort, long nights or age?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping bag comfort, long nights or age?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I collect old bping and camping stoves, having started acquiring them the last 4 years almost, so the last couple years I get out more than I used to, especially this last year. If its Saturday, I'm gone in the afternoon if not before, either bping or car camping, having to wait sometimes until then to pick up a stove or part at the Post Office, since they are open on Saturday 12-1. So being out so much, you are aware of the temp changes and much shorter days.
    The last month or so now, its been in the 20's F by morning, so I've brought my WM Apache, 15F bag and my usual silk liner. I used an old Sears bag I got back in the 60's on a car camp trip a few weeks ago, and I got by I'll have to say, draping my old Golite Coal jacket over me in the early hours of the AM. Now I've gotten by in the Summer in July or August with my WM Caribou 35F bag when temps have hit 28-30F here in the Sierra, suffering very little if any from those temps during the short nights. I noticed especially this Fall, that my 15F bag sure feels good when temps hit the 20F's. I also turned 60 recently and am about 160lbs. and 6' tall. Age or long nights? I'm thinking more the long nights at colder temps, turning colder early, versus summers short night duration of cold temps, slowly getting colder. My bags are in good shape, the Caribou having been washed last winter and the Apache has few hours, so it has never been washed, being maybe 6 years old.
    Duane

Bas Hommes

@bhommes

Locale: Europe

A third possible explanation: distribution of the down in the Apache. All down on top of you or all below your body weight or some distribution in between.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Ill have to check that before my next trip, I was thinking of shaking it a little, but that was as far as I got. Thank you. Im well hydrated, having to lay there half the night, wanting to pee but my bladdar making it till morning and not wanting to brave the chill air for a minute. :) I will eat half or more of a large chocolate bar while reading, yum, just hate to turn the light off at 6:30 and try to get to sleep, then try to sleep until 6:20AM like Sunday along the PCT.
    Duane

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Body temps drop in anticipation of waking. So if you are used to 8 hours of sleep, and hit the sack at 7 pm, expect a change in comfort around 2 am.

And, yes, age…
    I'm now running 15° to 20° (F) below "typical" – a 15° bag to be comfortable at 30°. And I keep the down hoody close at hand, often in the sleeping bag, to ward off an occasional chill.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Oh man! I just got a EE 30F quilt, based on my 35F Caribou, it should be ok for summer use. Hate to think for colder winter trips that on every trip, I would have to pack my WM Antelope Super, 5F bag then. It is hard to stuff, but so warm, with the Dryloft in it, throw in temps in the single digits or sub-zero, takes a few minutes to stuff and multiple trips to the stove to warm my hands up.
    Duane

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

Duane
    Seeing as you are already somewhat of a fire bug, why not put together a hot tent like a Tigoat Vertex 5 or Golite Sl3 with a cylinder stove. My Vertex with stove weighs just 3 3/4 lbs and makes those long November nights way more enjoyable. If its not snowing in the evening, I usually fire up the stove and sit on a stump in the open doorway while I feed the fire. Beats laying horizontal for twelve hours, provides unlimited hot water, and drives the frost and humidity out of your shelter Come morning, relight while still in the sleeping bag and voila, in 10 minutes you can arise basking in a 70 degree warmth.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Do jumping jacks before bed, not to the point of sweating, to increase your heat output. If you get up do the same before laying back down. Gets blood flowing and ups your heat output.

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Ross, that's just a 1/4 lb. heavier than my BD Hilight. Something to look into in the evening.
    Tim, good point, sometimes Ill take a short hike up a hill. Im fine when I go to bed, good point for the single or minus F digits though.
    Duane

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you like the idea of a small, lightweight stove in your shelter (vented to the outside), check out the Ruta Locura WiFi stove. It's new, only weighs a pound on its own, and goes together easily without any tools. Looks pretty nifty!

http://www.rutalocura.com/wifi_stove.html

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

A full bladder will definitely chill you in winter. I can't remember why (IIRC something about keeping the urine warm and sterile) but your body directs a lot of warmth around your bladder when it fills up. Pee before bed and use a bottle in the middle of the night if you don't want to run outside.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Two years ago at Vidette Meadow, at midnight or sometime, I had to go BAD. I slipped on my shoes and hobbled outside. Shivering away while I tried to pee. Kinda tough to determine whether you are going or even finishing. A quick sweep of a finger helps. :)
    Duane

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Face it, you're getting old. Good news is that you don't need a diaper yet :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools