Topic

Need to make poles for Zeus 2EXO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need to make poles for Zeus 2EXO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

We want to make two poles for a Zeus 2EXO tent. Because we lost the originals, we don't know their length.

Jay Ham reviewed this tent
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/eureka_zeus_2exo_tent_review.html

We found tent pole parts at http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

We called Eureka (Johnson Outdoors) and can get replacements for $50.

We'd like to make the poles for less than $50 and hopefully the DIY poles will weight less than the originals.

We plan to use 1/8 inch shock cord and Easton Aluminum 7075-79 tent tubing .340" (about 3/8 in) diameter.

Please share your thoughts.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Another option: Get the length from Eureka and order from Tent Pole Technologies. Their alum poles are much lighter than Eureka's and they have pretty reasonable prices.

http://www.polesforyou.com/

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Thanks Ben

Emailed polesforyou to see what they offer

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I haven't purchased them but I am considering a tent project in the future and found tent poles for arched tents on Hillenberg's site.

http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/Categories.bok?category=Extra+Poles

Most are in the $30+ range and because Hillenberg makes so many tents, many with assymetrical poles, they have a wide assortment of pole lengths. The don't publish the pole weights on their website but the weights of their tents are fantastically light. I wouldn't think the poles would be too heavy. You can email them for that info.

If I ever get up the guts to tackle a tent from scratch, they were going to be my source for poles.

I you go this route, please let us know how your purchase experience is as well as your opinion of the poles.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Friday math challenge…

The tent floor is 7'5" x 4'10" and the center height of the tent is 42"

The poles curve diagonally from front to back – crossing one another.

Who can do the math to estimate the length of the poles?

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Thanks Michael

Hillenberg's site looks good. After I get the pole length, I will email them. The $30 price is for one pole I think.

I want to go below $50 if I buy and don't make them.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi George,

The fibraplex website lists the Zeus EXO 2 poles as having a length of (as Spock would say) "approximately 146.56 inches"

http://www.fibraplex.com/tentpoles2B.asp

The tara pole replacement on the hilleberg site, at 372cm would be a direct replacement. However, it looks like $40×2 so 80 buckaroos.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I came to 150" and probably a bit shorter.
    Easiest way to calculate this to calculate half the circumferance of an ellipsoide with 42" the short radius and the long radius being calculated has half the length of the diagonal (using the classical formula a²=b²+c² ).
    There is no strict formula to calculate the circumferance of an ellipsoide but there are some formulas to estimate them.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I actually have a Zeus 2 at home and am going there for the weekend. If you haven't got your answer by then I'll go ahead and pull them out and measure them for you. I could probably do the math, but don't have my calculator handy. Not to mention its the summer, and am I really expected to remember everything I've learned when I'm not actively being tested on it?

Adam

PS- If you want my opinion, ditch the tent and get something better that doesn't turn into a shower every morning. I had horrendous condensation problems every time I used mine, maybe its just my location though. My brother and I need to decide what we want to do with it. I think he may still use it from time to time…

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Thanks Daniel

LOL on the Spock : ) That should be close enough for the length.

Interesting. Quite a weight savings using the fibraplex poles (18.2 oz versus 8.2 oz), but the $105 is too high for me.

The tent with the original poles is about 4 lb. Back in 2003, the Zeus 2EXO was about $140. No longer made, but when I called about replacement poles, the rep said that are returning. There is a Classic. Maybe that is what she meant.

While looking for the length, I found where the Europe Eureka web site has a different version.

eurppe zeus

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Thanks Tom

Impressive calculation! Looks like you're Spock quality : )

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Thanks Adam

I ditched it a long time ago, but it's a great bargain for my son – free – so it is his now. I've gone with a Contrail for now with intentions to go tarp/bivy next.

I agree it's does not do well with two people when the humidity is up. I did sleep a night in it a couple of weekends ago. My son and I had hiked until dark. There was a spot for one tent and it was beginning to rain and thunder. We stayed dry after a night of hard rain and periodic strong winds. There must have been enough air moving through the side vents because we had to close the vestibule when the pouring began. In the a.m. we did find a small puddle of water on the top vent area, but there was no leaking through the wall.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

"Interesting. Quite a weight savings using the fibraplex poles (18.2 oz versus 8.2 oz), but the $105 is too high for me."

My Akto pole at 293cm weighs 6 oz. So if you used the hilleberg 9mm poles for the tara at 372cm, the weight would be approx 372/293×6 oz or about 7.6 oz a piece. So a tad over 15 oz for the two poles, for about a 3oz savings over the stock Zeus poles. I checked the Hilleberg site again and the 9mm poles are $36 a piece (10mm poles are $40).

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

To make or buy two 12' poles (approximately 146.56 in.) for a Zeus 2EXO tent…

(Option 1)
    DIY (questoutfitters prices)
    .340 diameter aluminum tubing + 3/32" shock cord
    18" sections (14 with inserts and 2 without and
    4 shock cord type ends)

$39.90 parts + $2.56 3/32" shock cord (8 yds)

Cost: $42.56 cost
    Weight: 12.48 oz + wt of shock cord and ends
    (guessing 13 oz)

(Option 2)
    Hillenberg replacements
    372 cm
    Cost: $72
    Wt: 15.2 oz

(Option 3)
    fibraplex replacements
    Cost: $105
    Wt: 8.2 oz

(Option 4)
    Johnson Outdoors [replace with originals]
    Cost: $50
    Wt: 18.2 oz

(Option 5)
    polesforyou.com –
    Cost: $62.16

edit: updated Option 5

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

George:

Re. the tent photo you posted, it's not a European version per se. It was sold here as well — coming in at solo, two and three person models.

These came out just 2 years ago, and replaced the version that you now have. For whatever reason, they didn't seem to sell all that well — and just a few months ago, Eureka took them completely off their USA website, and brought back your version — now rechristened "Zeus Classic".

My humble opinion… something must be really wrong with them if they only lasted two years and are replaced by the "classic" — which has problems all their own…

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Ben, the extent of your tent knowledge is just scary sometimes. Please tell me you didn't know that off the top of your head.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I agree with Brett that Ben knows the world of tents

On Ben's comment about the tent design changes:
    My opinion is that customers new to backpacking buy those products because they're on the shelves and major magazine advertisements. Only after you buy a less than ideal tent (or other gear) AND if you choose to continue backpacking – is when you accept the suffering or you start searching for something else. You don't know what you're looking for but you know there has to be a better way. If you're lucky, then you find a path towards the light : )

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The DARK FORCE is strong. Resistance is useless. Mwahahaha…

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

LMAO – excellent link and point!

From Nov. 2003 to June 2007 the price is about the same
    $139.99 vs $149.99 considering inflation.

It's interesting how it looks about the same also except that the advertised weight is 4 lb 8 oz now versus 3 lb 10 oz back in '03.

The DARK FORCE is so merciless

ming

Ming the Merciless

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

LOL! Good one.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Parts and shipping: $50.77 (Quest Outfitters)
    Weight after assembled: 15.8 oz. (7.9 oz each)
    16 shockcorded sections (18" long) using 1/8" cord

Original two poles weighed: 18 oz. (9 oz each)
    including 20 shockcorded sections (14.25" long).

Advantages:
    1) 2.2 oz. less weight than originals
    2) 4 less sections (at 14.25" the originals wont fit
    horizontally in most packs anyway, but there 4 less
    chorded sections)

zeus a

The 12' poles work well.

zeus b

Another good weight savings is to use eight Lazr NANO Titanium tent stakes instead of the original stakes, .3 versus 4.3 (4 oz. savings)

zeus c

Total weight of original tent + new poles + NANO stakes:
    3 lb 13 oz.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

What year did you purchase your zeus? I was checking out your back vent to see if it had the improved one.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Hi John

>> What year did you purchase your zeus?

November 2003.

The air flow through the top vent gets obstructed by the material above it. I guess it's better than no top vent at all. As Jay Ham recommended in his review, you could use a stick or something to better open the top vent. I've yet to remember to try that tip.

Seldomly used anymore, but two of us spent a night in it recently with some heavy rain. That material above the top vent collected a small puddle of water. I have to give the old Zeus credit for keeping us dry. Also, there was enough ventilation through the side vents so there was no condensation problem. Only had one really bad condensation during a really hot, humid night with no breeze and two of us.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools