Topic

Hysol at retail stores?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hysol at retail stores?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Hello,

Where are people in the USA buying Hysol. I live in Asheville, NC and wonder if it is available locally. Also, never having used it, is there only one kind?

Thank you for you help

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

See – http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-E-120HP-Adhesive-Strength-CARTRIDGE/dp/B000WSF5Y6

The Loctite brand is usually available at big box home stores, so I'd look on their websites to see if it's in your local store.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Thank you for the info. I see that it rewires a special applicator. Is there any way around using that?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Hmmmmm, all the different tubes look like they take the same applicator — maybe someone on BPL has a "hack" for this, though…not me!

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

That's what I am seeing too. Maybe, I will need to rethink my project but I will search some more first. Maybe eBay has a used applicator.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

The Hysol linked above is not the standard used for cuben fiber projects. It may work, but I don't know. The most commonly used is Hysol UL-09 (either LV or FL which just changes the viscosity of the product).

Hysol UL is a urethane adhesive, so when it dries it remains flexible. Epoxy adhesives almost always dry hard and are not suitable for fabric applications. So just beware.

You can get Hysol UL from McMaster-Carr or eBay and even amazon. Fastenal stores may carry it too.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Looks like the gun is $22 at Mcmaster Carr:

Applicator Gun 74695A71 Each $22.10

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Good find, Daryl. I could not find one less than $40, so just used my thumbs to push equal amounts out of each tube. Worked fine – actually more accurate, because if one tube is a little slow secreting, you can even it up.

Looking at the McMaster-Carr site, it appears that there are a variety of different types of adhesive under the name "Hysol." Only a few are urethane.

If you have access to a Fastenal store, they could order it without your having to have it shipped.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

If you have access to a Fastenal store,
    I do.

they could order it without your having to have it shipped.
    That's what I thought … was still charged fro shipping to the local store.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Live and learn. There are sharks in the water!

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

I'm glad to hear that I can do this with my thumbs. I just want to bond some tie outs so this is perfect.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I use a dowel with sharpie markings on it to push out the glue. That way, you get exactly the same volume of each component. As Dustin said, the stuff originally recommended by Cubic Tech, which most people use for bonding cuben, is Hysol U09FL or U09LV, not the E120 that Valerie indicated.

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

diy hysol gun

Its funny, I just put this together yesterday. I used a caulk gun that I had (or could be bought cheap) and taped two 1/2 inch square pieces of wood as plungers. They are seperated by a broken off piece of wood from a paint stirring stick. It dispenses equally and in controled quantity. I stirred by hand and brushed on the glue to my cuben.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Nice!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools