Topic

Do inflatable pads work ok

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do inflatable pads work ok

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Leticia D

@windwaker

I used to camp growing up but gear was pretty different then. I am recently getting into backpacking and am trying to get setup with a light/comfortable balance of gear.

I looked for an answer for this question online but I guess it's either obvious or no one has been wild enough to comment on it.

(deleted section)

BPL does have minors reading the Forums. We would ask that posters conduct themselves (and phrase their postings) accordingly.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If it is not a good choice in this situation, what alternatives would folks suggest?"

The nearest grassy stream bank, preferably along side a waterfall.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

NeoAir "All Seasons" 78 x 25 x 2.5 Tried & True and get your GROOVE on!

Leticia D

@windwaker

Tom, that's awesome, provided it's not too cold! :)

Thank you Jay! Will look into those.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, Roger, I forgot and just couldn't resist. At least it proves the post deletion function is operational and available to the Forum Moderator. ;0)

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

So why not delete them all? The remaining posts still contain the original title and innuendo— and that's all any of the posts were, just innuendo.

If you're going to play censor, at least be thorough.

Hi Dale
    Ooops! Thank you.
    Cheers

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

what a bunch a prudes…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

It seems that Cascade Designs has missed a whole market segment …..

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Cabin Fever is setting in early this year.

Either that or most of us don't have a life outside BPL.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I can’t believe nobody is actually assisting the OP with a valid question. So allow me.

Your site name seems to indicate you’re a woman, so I assume size matters. So you want an inflatable that’s long, wide, and firm – one that will stay up all night. Some of the Thermarests are known for getting soft before morning unless you want to be blowing during the night, so I’d stay away from those. I’d also stay away from BPL’s swap – you want one that hasn’t been passed around too much. Also, unless you’re one of those who just lay there without moving, you want one that will accommodate a variety of positions. You’ll probably find a good pillow indispensable in this regard. Lastly, shop for the newer models, regardless of what Eric B or Dale W might say. While the older models might be easier to maintain and even be a bit more comfortable, they probably won’t be as firm, or stay as firm for as long. That might be important to you.

Hope these tips help.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Doug,
    Bravo!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Doug

OK, I'll pass that one! Skillful use of the English language – and of the reader's mind.

Cheers

Leticia D

@windwaker

Thank you Doug, your reply was really helpful.

I am sorry if the post offended anyone. It was a serious question that I could not find an answer to anywhere, and I assumed that as a healthy activity most adults engage in and enjoy, people in the forum might have something helpful to say to prevent someone new to backpacking from wasting time and money on unsuitable gear.

I am glad the post was able to provide a source of amusement, even if not intended. I am certainly not a prude and don't mind jokes but of course it is always nice to have some serious replies that address the question asked.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The little bit of innuendo posted here was far less destructive to the community than some of the vitriolic spitting matches of late that raged on unabated. As with many media, you can represent murder and mayhem, but God help you if you involve sex or nudity.

Sigh….. Much ado about nothing!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"As with many media, you can represent murder and mayhem, but God help you if you involve sex or nudity. "

Yup. So true and sad.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

You could try a sling made from trekking poles and paracord. Like francos chair.

…. Maybe he could even mock one up

Small weight penalty, assuming you use trekking poles

Climbing harness? Hang it pct style

Thinking "outside the box"

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"WoodenWizard"

Are you allowed to use that name here…in this thread…where minors might be lurking…?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Doug quipped, "Lastly, shop for the newer models, regardless of what Eric B or Dale W might say"

Ouch! When have I ever said that someone shouldn't use the newest gear? I may have opined that a new model didn't measure up, but not exclusively because it was the latest item. I have taken a shot at a market trend.

And who is Eric B? If you mean to include me with Eric C, I might feel libeled ;)

To the OP, please don't mind Roger. Australians have an innate fear of sexual relations and considering the results, it is well founded. {{{{{SNORT}}}}}

Leticia D

@windwaker

To the OP, please don't mind Roger. Australians have an innate fear of sexual relations and considering the results, it is well founded. {{{{{SNORT}}}}}

Hahaha! Dale, you made me laugh.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Doug,

Well played Sir, well played.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I see my mildly naughty post was DELETED!! I'm shocked!, SHOCKED! I tell you.

Well, perhaps I did stray outside the bounds of Boy Scout propriety but, hey, most of us here are adults and the rest who aren't could probably tell us more than we presently know about human sexuality.

Anyway, no more posts about "Phyllis". ;o)

I'm kinda proud that I finally got a post deleted. Now I can join the ever-growing club.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Ages ago, I had one deleted regarding the use of pumps for filling air mattresses. I included a photo of Lauren Bacall quoting her famous lines from To Have and Have Not:

"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and… blow"

Must be an air mattress thing of some sort.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I always miss the good threads! Even Eric had one of his responses deleted? Dang hockey tournament!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools