Topic

backpacking/hiking gear that crosses over nicely to trail running (or vice versa)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) backpacking/hiking gear that crosses over nicely to trail running (or vice versa)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

as a long time backpacker/hiker and a much shorter time (three years) trail runner I've found several items that cross over quite nicely

shoes- I've found the Pearl Izumi N2's to be a very nice lightweight trail running shoe that has also excelled as a hiking/backpacking shoe- it's light, dries quickly and the compound is sticky- the durability is good as well and they happen to fit my not so easy to fit feet :)

socks-Darn Tough lightweight merino socks 1/4 length, I wouldn't consider anything else else for either endeavor; they breathe well, dry quickly, durable and have an unconditional warranty

shirts- Mountain Hardwear Elmoro long sleeves- wonderfully breathable, zip front to vent, pretty light (~ 5 oz for a large), UPF 25- I thought I might have issues w/ durability, but I've got a couple that are two + years old and other than a few minor snags here and there, they are still good to go

Houdini jacket/pants- I've used a Houdini windshirt for years hiking and it's also a great piece for trail running- light, breathes well, easy to vent, has a hood and a adj hem and will shed light moisture wonderfully- it's also light and packs small; the pants are a more recent purchase, but thus far they've performed very well too

Cap 4 hoody- a cool weather piece, but it's a dandy for high aerobic activities- lightweight, dries quickly, very breathable, has a hood, thumb loops- this is a great piece that I use often for hiking and running

Cap 4 beanie- a recent purchase, but this is nicely fitting the bill as a light, breathable beanie

Kahtoola Microspikes- if it's very icy or snow packed- these are the only way to go- running or hiking

Black Diamond ReVolt headlamp- not a SUL piece, but if you're going to be hiking or running at night a very solid performer and still pretty light 3.3 oz w/ the headband- runs on three AAA's- alkaline or lithium OR their own rechargeable AAA's- while the burn time isn't as good w/ the rechargebles- if you know you're going to be out for a shorter hike/run they have ample time (12 hours at the highest setting) ; for running I'm using two- one on my head, one on my waist

it's very handy that my two favorite endeavors have a lot of cross-over :)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools