Topic

LIGHTEST ski goggle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) LIGHTEST ski goggle?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Hi All,

In the effort of reducing winter gear eight (windy NH summits) I was able to work everything down to minimum. Everything except the goggles.

Have at it please. :)

Thanks,
    G

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

From an Arctic perspective (sub-zeroF, lots of wind), tunnel hoods are multi-purpose. They serve as or greatly reduce the need for goggles, face mask and hat. They do restrict your peripheral vision, but a well-designed one folds back in stages for when you don't need it in high winds for better side vision.

If you already have a parka hood, then extending that 4-5 inches will be less weight and bulk than goggles + face mask.

Not UL, but very handy is to stitch solid 12 gauge wire into the hem of the edge of the tunnel hood. You can then form it into whatever profile (round, square, oval) that you want and it stays like that.

But in the goggle-like approach, some safety glass have gotten pretty light. Not quite as wind-blocking as goggles, but they do protect from all sides and typically have more volume inside (less condensation) than sunglasses:

http://www.amazon.com/DPG55-11C-Anti-Fog-Protective-Glasses-Dual-Injected/dp/B000RKS07I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384001280&sr=8-2&keywords=safety+glasses

They're cheap, too.

And they're available in shaded versions. A clear + a shaded one would weigh less than sunglasses + goggles, give redundancy, and be 1/10 the price.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I'm with David. I gave up wearing goggles a long time ago.

Instead I wear wrap-around dark glasses. With a hood and the right shape frame my eyes are fully protected but I don't get the fog inside any more. If they do start to fog a little, I pull them out a bit and let the wind whistle thru for a moment.

Oh yes: $10 wrap-arounds, not $400 ones. They do sometimes suffer a little when my face meets the snow …

Cheers

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

As someone who's only been an "outdoorsman" for about a year and a half, any weight is acceptable for snow goggles because I feel like a badass with a real pair strapped to my head.

That being said, older goggles were a lot less overbuilt, so try and find someone with a 1970's pair kicking around.

Here's a buddy of mine (goggles aren't necessary for a bike tour in August, but he said they increased his speed and I believe it).

gog

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I've used the Uvex pocket goggles the last couple of years w/ good luck- weight is ~ 2 oz

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How about glacier style sunglasses with double gradient lenses and side shields? They are made for super bright conditions and could still be used as regular sunglasses.

Goggles are better for wind I think.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Seems to me that the priority should be 'the best' ski goggle, rather than the lightest. After all, the purpose of the goggle is so that you can see. Seeing is pretty basic. There are some conditions that only goggles will do. If you can't see in those conditions, you're xxxxED man!

For my money (and carrying effort)the 'best' would be defined by the one that fogs up the least and has a nice clear or amber lens for great visibility in flat/low light conditions…

Bill D

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Now don't get me wrong, no well intentioned questioned is silly. But this one did make me smile.

But if you DO find a ski goggle that is comfortable and doesn't fog easily you will forget all about "lightest" goggle and stick with what fits your face.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a pair of Scott ski goggles that are 3.6oz. It seems that the head strap contributes a great deal to the total weight, with a wide band designed to fit a helmet and there is a fat buckle too. I'm not going to dissect them to get the weight for you :)

For hiking purposes, it seems that some light shock cord and a toggle or a band like the one on a small headlamp could drop the weight an ounce or better.

Ryan Bressler
    BPL Member

@ryanbressler

Some good options for goggle like sunglasses on this old cascadeclimbers thread:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/990095/1

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Casco makes a nordic ski goggle that doesn't fog up. It's essentially 'open' around the edges to allow venting. They flip up. I've been using them for years over my glasses while I nordic ski or snowshoe and they really do work. And yes these goggles keep the snow and wind out. I like the amber lenses for good contrast in snowy conditions–that is, you can see the bumps better.

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Anyone use Adidas Terrex Pro? 1.6oz

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2279

Been going through all the links and stumbled onto these. A gold mine. (in more ways than one). This seems to be the best in terms of flexibility, lens quality, anti-fog and weight. Even has a humpty nose.

Thoughts?

Eliot Levine
    BPL Member

@eliotlevine

Locale: Western MA

Jeffrey, is this the one you've been using for years? Thank you…

http://www.xc-elitesports.com/product_info.html?cPath=178_242&products_id=521&osCsid=c532592db4630d2197467bca81235508

If not, do you know the exact name and/or model? Casco lists many Nordic ski goggles. Also, do you think these would provide needed protection in the types of conditions mentioned at the start of the post, e.g. backpacking snowy peaks with high winds? Last, do you think they would fit over prescription eyeglasses? Thank you.

Eliot

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I've used the terrex pros for a couple of years. I found them on craigslist for $100, which is still expensive, but since I bought them as goggles and glasses, I thought it was worth it. I don't have experience with a range of glasses or goggles, so I don't have much of a reference point. If your primary purpose for them is the occasional windy summit on a winter backpacking trip, then I think they would do well for that because %95 of the time they would just serve as an excellent pair of mountaineering sunglasses. Then when you get close to tree line you could switch them in to goggle mode. This does increase the fiddle factor though, and adds extra small items that are easy to lose track of. In full-on whiteout conditions or if you are just crushing pow at the resort, then a goggle is a way better option, but for winter backpacking, or fast and light bc skiing, I'd agree with other folks that a full coverage (in this case, convertible) pair of mountaineering glasses is the way to go.

A quick review: comfortable, good coverage, a range of swappable lenses that all have likeable/functional shades, durable. In goggle mode, they are such a close fit that it can feel a little bit awkward, like halfway between ski and swimming goggles. So for a whiteout I'd wear those, but for bc skiing (my primary use for them) I just add on the foam, but don't use the goggle strap. I get a fairly good seal this way, but I can still vent them out as needed and they are not as constrictive. Like any sunglasses or goggles, they do fog up, but I think these are a little better than others I've used. They also come with that nose piece which is cool, but my snozz might be a touch too big for it. Just thought i'd chime in since I didn't see many actual user reviews online when I bought them.

Full retail, I don't think they are worth the price, but if you can swing it, why not.

edit: Just looked at the uvex pocket goggles. the terrex would be pretty similar to those in goggle mode. If you've already got a pair of sunglasses you like, then something like that would be a good way to go, for maybe an extra oz, but less $ and less fiddle factor.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools