Topic

Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Jon……To answer your Question: "Ken, in the three years you have used it, you haven't noticed any drop in performance in the areas that have been discolored?

>>>>NO, in fact I just came back from a 3.1ml walk. It was lightly raining when I left and half way through it started to snow.

.Weather Front

Liquid from the snow and rain just beaded with NO inner water penetration. Had the side zips open with the hood pulled over a baseball hat and warmth/ventilation was not an issue. As for discoloration the pictures in the thread will give you an accurate picture of that variable….NO change from when it was new. When I backpack I store the jacket in a plastic bag folded.

Remember….. this is a rain jacket made from 1st generation material.

Lowell Mills
    BPL Member

@farmhand357

This jacket and pants sound great; just wondering if users can tell me how quiet the fabric is. I prefer a softer feel to the swish, swish of, say, nylon. Thanks in advance for any insight…

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Thanks for the reply Ken. I'll add that to my data bank as I consider purchasing this jacket.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Lowell….My qualitatively comment concerning the fabric is "soft" with NO SWISH, SWISH!

Lowell Mills
    BPL Member

@farmhand357

But Rick, beneath the ambient noise, I'll still know it's there…

Ken thanks. Now I am excited!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Pun?

swish

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Greg, your distinction escapes me. Must have left academia too soon. Saved me a lot of money, though. But maybe we'll get some ingenuous info from Richard when he has time for testing. Alas, it will not silence those who like to babble. At least my babble was short, though.

Tom Beno
    Spectator

@killerb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/nw-alpine-eyebright-jacket-overview.html

As far as I know, only Zpacks and NW Alpine are using this new 2nd-gen cuben-eVent fabric in garments.

Prolite Gear recent stocked the (incredibly expensive) Eyebright jacket and posted a short review of it, including a "blowing bubbles" comparison of breathability. Not exactly a scientific test, but it appears noticeably less breathable than a traditional eVent shell. Nice weight, not badly priced by Zpacks, but not as breathable.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

I think $250 is a stretch for a jacket made of this material, but $600? That is absurd.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools