Topic

Zimmer pockets on a Zimmer pack…Half Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zimmer pockets on a Zimmer pack…Half Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    scree ride

@scree

After buying water bottle and belt pockets from Zimmerbuilt to fit my HMG Porter, I decided I wanted a smaller pack to fit the same pockets. I also wanted to use the Porter belt. Anyways, this is what Chris came up with. Modeled after the ZB2 Long, this is a bit shorter. It should be around 500-600 c.i. The open roll top will allow for a stuff bag to be used if I want more volume.
    Anyways, it's something different and fills a gap in my pack collection. It should be a blessing for my back as well.
    He sent me a few pictures, here's the first.half pack

scree ride

@scree

zb2

side

front

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I had a similar set-up that I consider to be a large butt pack. I found with the pack being low, that I got a lot of bounce with it. I think I'd prefer the pack to be higher on the suspension. YMMV!

scree ride

@scree

I'll see once I get the belt on it. I don't foresee a problem.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

In a timeline of months (not years) I forsee getting one of these for bikepacking. The weight stays low to keep your center of gravity down, and I'd get mine with some side storage pockets and hipbelt pockets so I can access my essentials while riding.

It seems perfect for cyclists and I could also see a similar design being great for SUL'ers.

This has my brain turning into high gear… I wonder if there's a great way to integrate a light sling made from webbing and XPac so that you can stack a second removeable dry-bag on top of the first for a traditional backpack's capacity. As you eat your food, your pack shrinks into oblivion….

scree ride

@scree

The back daisy chains are spaced the same width as my HMG Porter stuff pocket and are high enough to attach 4 out of 6 clips. The top 2 clips of the pocket I can clip to the straps. It will be bunched up a little at the top but, it will be fine.
    The footprint on this one is 11" x 5" and it's 9" high to fit my pockets. With Chris you can adjust the size to fit your own needs. Down the road, I figure having a tight fitting cuben dry bag that will clip to the straps.
    I'll report back about any back bouncing. Lumber packs do ride a little different. This one looks well harnessed. Chris, wisely didn't want to build it the way I originally envisioned.
    I'll also update with pictures with the pockets and belt attached.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've tried several large lumbar packs with shoulder straps and have come to the conclusion that the only advantage is that they are a bit cooler. Most are too complex with as many or more straps than a backpack and don't save much in the way of weight or expense.

With back issues, I think you get more from a lightly framed pack with good weight transfer to a hip belt.

For day hiking setups, I have considered using a small light pack like many of the "stuff sack with shoulder straps" models. The problem with them is being uncomfortable with anything more than a fleece and a snack, and water being the heaviest item, along with a pound of essentials, camera, cell phone and other hardware".

To relate this to the half pack, I have looked at adding a hydration-oriented lumbar pack to the small backpack. That combination is usually a few ounces heavier than something like a simple rucksack with water bottle pockets, but it does get all the heavy items on the hips and leaves just the light puffy stuff in the backpack with less density and weight. It also allows easy flexible movement in the lower back, a bit more ventilation, and you end up with two handy-dandy packs.

What I haven't seen is a good lumbar pack made from SUL materials, good stabilization, and a couple water bottle pockets. The bruisers like Mountainsmith are totally overbuilt, while the UL running-oriented models lack storage.

I would spec a Cuben pack with a roll top that is 4-5 liters volume, a water bottle pocket on each side, a foam reinforced hip belt and a zig-zag strap and buckle setup to get some stabilization. Team that up with an uber minimal backpack like a Zpack Zero. Your water and heavy hardware goes in the waist pack, with clothing in the backpack. I think that is simple and versatile.

scree ride

@scree

You don't save a lot of money over a full pack. It's less work to attach shoulder straps to a full pack and it does take a fair amount of strap to replace a little bit of fabric. I don't expect to save much weight. With that, I didn't want a full pack. I have a full pack. A couple of them. I wanted minimalist with the ability to expand on occasion. Small stays within the pack should work to stabilize while if one did want to expand it, it would not be difficult to position a framesheet. Water pockets on the side and on the shoulder straps, weight will be distributed. A little bouncy, bouncy on the back, I can see the possibility. compared to carrying a full pack for a windshirt and some water. I think I'll be happy.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Max,

Sorry to briefly de-rail this thread, but for what your talking about you should look at the Wingnut Gear packs. Not great for hiking (one actually got reviewed here on BPL a long time ago) but great for cycling. I used one on a divide route tour and loved it.

Cheers

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Scree,

Are these Zimmerbuilt packs waterproof if seam sealed? Does the material keep out water as much as cuben?

Thanks

Derrick

scree ride

@scree

From what Chris told me before, Xpac fabric is as waterproof as Cuben. It's new to me though, can't say from experience. I have a feeling that in a soak test Cuben would win out. If I was pack rafting or in a wet area, I may have gone for Cuben. In wetter weather, I'd probably carry a larger pack with rain gear anyway. This will mainly be used if fair weather.
    Chris uses a lighter Cuben than HMG. One reason I bought the Porter. For a smaller pack, the difference in weight between fabrics is not near as critical. I went with the greater abrasion resistance which was the XPac.
    To answer your question, I expect it to be very waterproof. Mike is sending me some new tape for the Porter, which I'm going to seam seal so I may as well do this at the same time. Maybe, I'll see how good a job I do on the Porter first.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I have a ZImmerbuilt pack made from XPac that I haven't gotten around to seam sealing yet and accidentally had it out in a pretty massive rainstorm. I mean I was drenched. My pack did not pick up ANY perceptible water weight and all my stuff inside was perfectly dry.

Mine has a lid, and the rain was coming pretty much straight down, so that's probably why the seam issue wasn't an issue. But regardless it was pretty darned waterproof in an absolute soaking of a rainstorm.

scree ride

@scree

zzbbzp

pz
    Straps stored inside as a Porter pocket

This came in at 11.8 ounces for about a 3 ounce savings. I didn't weigh the belt or count the pockets which were 5 ounces.
    I don't plan on using the HMG back pocket. Just wanted to see if it would fit. Some speed clips from Chris make the HMG pocket much easier to attach and remove. A good $4 investment.
    Don't feel much bounce around the house. I'll tell tomorrow after a good day of walking. The straps do take some adjustment to get exactly right though it's really just a matter of fine tuning. I couldn't do that on a full pack. The angle to my back is correct and I'm happy with it.

scree ride

@scree

full dress

scree ride

@scree

With a couple of straps, perhaps in red XPac, would you carry this as a purse?

purse

scree ride

@scree

scree ride

@scree

6Doing a little spoof here, but it really is a nice pack. The unique criss-cross across the face compression lid straps give it an interesting shape.

spoof

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools