Topic

Hiking Skirt or Dress suggestions for women?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking Skirt or Dress suggestions for women?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

I hiked part of the PCT in a dress this summer and loved it, but it was a rayon-type goodwill dress and the fabric in the back was itchy and wore away very quickly. I am wondering if any lady hikers have suggestions of light dresses or skirts that worked for them? I have looked at the athleta ones, but am not interested in the skort/built in short option, and am hoping to find a lighter material. Any brand name or MYOG patterns would be much appreciated!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

and don't mind spandex, check out http://www.runningfunky.com. She custom made me a skirt (not skort), that I will wear over tights or running shorts as weather and terrain dictate. My skirt is above the knee, so length may not be to everyone's taste. Myonly problem with skorts is that then you are stuck with the shorts, or you have shorts + tights on. Since I was looking for better ventilation, increasing layers didn't seem like a good idea to me.

Go-lite may have some skirt options that would work, as might Ex Officio if you are looking for a more traditional, less technical style.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I sometimes go trail running/walking in this dress…Nuu Muu. Great looking for in-town jaunts as well.

http://nuu-muu.com/

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I think you'll get the maximum versatility with a skirt, as opposed to a dress; it also sounds like you're looking for something cool and breezy.

Mountain Hardwear makes several skirts designed for hiking (in similar fabrics to their hiking pants), and I think they look/feel great. In particular, I like the Yuma skirt (on sale at 6pm now, too).
    Skirt

As we get closer to summer, you'll probably get new styles from MH, along with other possibilities from Kuhl, Patagonia and North Face (but I really like MH's skirts best).

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

My wife is very pro-hiking skirt. She got an Icebreaker Villa last year and it goes on every warm weather trip. A very pragmatic just below knee length. Only drawback is the expense and fabric durability (not a good option for bushwacking).

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

My wife likes hiking in skirts. She prefers lightweight, fast drying, AND POCKETS. She’s been wearing this dress hiking and around town for about 8 years now http://www.rei.com/product/779394/royal-robbins-discovery-skirt.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a homemade hiking kilt/skirt made out of 65% polyester and 35% linen. It is very comfortable in a wide range of conditions and has amazing moisture management properties.

It was extremely easy to make, even though i was a newbie sewer at the time. Not sure if the fabric is still available though. Synthetic linen blends tend to be pretty rare.

M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

I can always trust BPL for quick responses and good suggestions… thanks!

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

+1 a thousand times!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is actually amazing how involved and helpful the BPL community is… hopefully it will continue for a very long time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The below would dry pretty fast, be quite breathable, and have great odor controlling properties. Also should be way stronger and more durable than the rayon dress you mentioned. Color might be too hot in the summer, but should be fine for cooler weather hiking.

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/Prod/13781-black-linen-suiting

As far as patterns, can't help you there. I just used a real kilt to base mine off of, except that i used velcro for the closures, just wraps around and velcros at two points–very quick, easy, and adjustable.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

The Ibex Izzy skirt is great for cold weather and SKhoop makes bomber winter skirts that are very comfortable in snowy weather .

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

Locale: Ohio

I have several pairs of shorts and skorts that I have cut the liner/shorts out of. This may widen your range of acceptable garments. My dog ate part of the liner on one of my Icebreakers, after salvaging them by cutting the rest out, they became my favorites.

If you find a "cute" pair in the right fabric this might be a good option. Hope this helps!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

I just ordered a Vista Trekking skirt from LL Bean, and have high hopes for it. Slightly A-line, nylon wicking quick drying fabric with a slight amount of stretch, just above knee length, has belt loops for adjusting fit and POCKETS! This has been my pet peeve with skirts–none of them have had pockets worth a dang. And, for those that are gram geeks, the skirt is only 6 ounces, very lightweight and hardly know it's there. I haven't had a chance to hike in it yet, so I don't know how it will do as far as chafing or staying put (does anyone else have problems with the skirt riding up under the backpack in back, or is it just me?), but so far it looks like a winner.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

It is. I have the same skirt plus another one which I favor more, and can be used for a cover up from the gym. It is the fitness skirt and is very comfy.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/77483?feat=509757-CL1&page=fitness-skirt

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

I would like the comfiness of stretch fabric, but the dark color and lack of pockets was the deal breaker for me. I'm eagerly awaiting the ability to put stuff in pockets that stay on me no matter whether I'm wearing my pack or not.

The belt issue is now raising it's ugly head again, with the belt loops. I'm getting around that with a belt that I macrameed out of lime green 2 mm Dyneema line. Ties on, no belt buckle to worry about, and I always have cordage with me, in an easier, longer format than those "survival bracelets" that one sees everywhere.

Andrea Feucht
    BPL Member

@misstenacity

(Regarding the Royal Robbins Discovery skirt):

I also have this skirt and found the knee length a little too much for my recent style predilections, so I cut it off at the lower horizontal seam, leaving me still with two good pockets and an awesome mid-thigh length.

I have NOT hiked in it, fyi. Yet.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I guess you ladies understand that the men of this forum will require a fashion show of these items pretty soon.

–B.G.–

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Gee, Bob, if I show you mine will you show me yours? ;-)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools