Topic

Any Enigma Reports???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any Enigma Reports???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Listed is quilt. Stuff sacks are sil/pu and add <.7oz and straps are .5oz and .7oz depending on which you use. My guess is anybody who wants one of these will grab a Zpacks cuben dry sack for it or be packing it loose in their frameless pack and will only carry the straps they plan to use, if they even use the straps, many don't. The straps can also but cut down to take weight off, they are long for most uses.

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Thanks Tim, I'll see it in 8 days? :)
    Duane

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Probably not even! Peter is stuffing it today so it will ship tomorrow via priority.

-Tim

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

I'm a pretty big guy (6'2", 230), and am a ground/side sleeper. My Wide/Long RevX has been great below freezing, but I've only taken it down to mid-20's. XWide would be pretty great for a dedicated winter quilt.

My dad and brother like to backpack with me a couple times of year, but they don't follow the cottage market. I've been trying to convince them to try a down quilt for a year, and they just don't believe it isn't cold. They also get stuck on the fact that I call it a quilt, and not a bag. So I definitely see a market for a fully length zipper. For my family, they'd be more easily convinced if it was "a sleeping bag that can be adapted for comfort in a wider range of temps by putting it quilt mode" than they are by the "quilt instead of bag" proposition.

Keep up the great work!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Tim, I work out of town so if it gets to my PO Box by Nov. 16 that would do me fine.
    Duane

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

If Peter ever comes back from
    Lunch I expect it stuffed today and shipped in the morning. He's been at lunch awhile though. Hmm

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Snowmobiling? :)
    Duane

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

He's back. Stuffing now. He had saved the 2 enigmas for last so almost done

-Tim

scree ride

@scree

Is there any way to open up your toe boxes? Gotta keep a toe out to check the weather.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Not on the Enigma but on everything else

-Tim

Roger Coffey
    BPL Member

@tachus1

Locale: Southeast

It's here. Hanging on my wall. Taking up space beside another 20 degree down bag, that happens to be 20 years old. I guess that's the best way to understand this Enigma quilt. Side by side with a 20 year old Marmot bag, the Enigma is a revelation. What used to be top of the line, is now relegated to kids camping.
    This thing is LIGHT! It's soft, with a hand not unlike the 7 denier fabric on one of my down jackets. The stitching is damn near flawless. Obvious quality.
    The chambers are unique and I think with a little use, they will become my favorite. As a side sleeper, I've had issues previously with down sliding off my shoulder or hip within a chamber leaving a cold spot. Shouldn't happen here.
    My first backcountry use will be high mountains in Colorado the first weekend in December. I'll put it on a Neoair Xtherm.
    Nice work Tim. Thanks.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Tim, I too wonder about a zip on the foot section of an Enigma – my feet seem to be the major temperature control elements of my body when sleeping, and an Enigma that opened fully would be a great solution.

Is there some structural reason why you do not include foot box zips as an option?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

With the Enigma it's all about weight. I want it to be the lightest it can and that means no zip in the foot. I hear you though and have some things planned

-Tim

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

I look forward to developments, and thanks for your response.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Sorry, every time I see the title of this thread, I feel like I should be reading about a historic thriller. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptanalysis_of_the_Enigma

Carry on. Nothing to see here. ;)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I was thinking the same myself Paul.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I picked up my regular width, 6'5" 30F quilt at the PO Saturday. Nice and light, very nice quality, 16 oz., quilt alone on my scale. I'm 6', it came up to over my eyebrows. I think with the straps, I could have gone with the slim, with my 160lb. body. Won't get to use it until Spring. :(
    Duane

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I received my 20F (reg, long) Enigma recently and used it this past weekend …but the low was only in the mid- 30's. I was pretty hot and let the sides loose( but I sleep hot … but I went to bed kind of chilled with wet feet). Though I did not test the 20 limit, I bought the quilt as a total solution to 3-season-ish "mountain sleeping", unless winter camping dictates a complete sleeping bag. Feeling the heat of the quilt, I'm sure it would have handled wrapped up against the coldest part of the morning.

Ed: size

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

I just unboxed my Enigma 30F Regular/Wide. First impressions are very positive. True to the weight on Tim's site, it comes in right at 15.0 ounces. The new material feels slightly more wind resistant than the 10d on my Rev, I obviously have to get it out to verify this, but the 10d on my Rev feels as soft as an actual silk liner I have. The Enigma is slightly more durable feeling, but still much softer than my RevX.

I'm 5' 10" and the Regular length comes up to my lower lip, providing I don't draw the cinch cord, if I do it sits just below my chin, around my neck. I'm 190 lbs and the Wide seems to give me plenty of room to toss and turn, which I do. Loft looks to be above the 2" on the site, which is fine by me.

I can't wait to get this out and may even try it this Winter if I can get out on a night that won't drop too far past the mid 20's. Looks like an awesome quilt. Now I need to figure out if I sell my old RevX or the Rev . . .

Enigma4
    Enigma3
    Enigma2
    enigma1

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I love the new charcoal! It should also be mentioned if I missed it before the new 10d shouldn't have down leaking issues found in the nobul1 fabrics.

-Tim

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Tim, this think looks awesome! I can't wait to get it "out there".

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I will admit. I'm proud of these!

-Tim

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

Oh, man, it's like watching your siblings open their presents first! C'mon, USPS!

Art, you've got me thinking I shoulda inverted my Enigma colorway. Ah, well, on the next one. :)

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Art-

Is that the black inside, charcoal grey outside, without any head and foot weather protection?

KJ

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

"Is that the black inside, charcoal grey outside, without any head and foot weather protection?"

Yep. I did/do like the way the color strips looked, but was going for minimal weight. I figured between the treated down and the new material that I'd be ok even if a little condensation fell on the quilt or my feet brushed up against the wall. I ran out of time yesterday but will do a small water test tonight. I treated by 10d Rev with Nikwax DWR and it seems to bead up very well for short periods at least.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools