Topic

Any Enigma Reports???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any Enigma Reports???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Just curious if anyone has some initial impressions of the new EE Enigma quilt? It's been out for a month now and I haven't seen any first hand reports on BPL other than a couple of brief comments on a pre-production model.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Everyone is waiting on WIDE;)

There are a few out there now but since we build most quilts to order that's a 2-3 week wait time.

-Tim

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Thanks, Tim. I was hoping somebody picked up a regular size quilt and could give some initial feedback. I was tempted to pick up a regular size Enigma myself, but am also holding out for a wide :)

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

I've been checking the EE site twice a week waiting to see the WIDE option on the Enigma page.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Ill post when they are ready. The cutting shop has them and said by early next week but well see.

I won't have the SLIM yet but a slightly updated set of REG and WIDE in all 3 lengths.

I'm considering adding a 64" XWIDE what do you guys think? I also considered optional full zippers on WIDE and XWIDE but that's getting pretty Zpacks. I have done the full zippers as custom but it seem like in sub zero temps a 64" sleeping bag would be nice to me. I just don't want to step on toes too much

-Tim

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Tim, I have no problem wearing a MB UL parka with the 58" wide in the Rev, and I'm 5' 10", 190 lbs, so not a small guy, but I guess I could see where someone larger might like the 64". As for me, it's about shaving ounces, so while I'd like the extra width, I wouldn't want the weight penalty over my 10D/10D Rev.

As for the zipper – Who cares about stepping on toes, the free market and competition is what drives innovation. Do some more customer research and if you think there's a market for it . . . Personally, I think a zipper defeats the function of a quilt, but then again I don't Winter camp much.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

As a big and tall guy myself I vote for an XWIDE option

Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Locale: North East Georgia

Another vote for an XWIDE option!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Art,

I personally would only use a zippered quilt (can't say those evil words) when sleeping on the ground bellow zero F. Here in MN I actually might get some use from something like that.

Otherwise it would just be for customers who are on the fence. They can buy the sleeping bag but try it as a quilt. Then they'll buy quilts after that:). It would still have buckles and straps for sure.

It would also be a good way to expand my market. As much as I like you guys our business has grown past what this community alone can support. We need more exposure and a sleeping bag may help us reach a little wider while still keeping the weight way down and helping the more mainstream crowd get some exposure to true ultralight products. Sleeping bags/quilts are an area even a heavy hiker can convert without sacrificing the comfort he lugs that big pack around to have. Getting him to swap his 3# bag for a 1-1.5# quilt or bag saves him weight without forcing him to give up bombproof packs dry tents and warm food (his fears). You can ease them into it. None of my friends, staff or partners are UL but they all use quilts because they're more comfortable. This is probably my next target market.

-Tim

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

No zipper and no X-wide for me, but offering more options that are workable from a production standpoint seems like good business. And I agree with the above poster that nobody has a "copyright" on zippers.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

A "full length" zipper is nothing like a Z-Pack.

If you sewed it up half way and zipped the top, it would be, but a full length would be one sweet option.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wouldn't a full zip quilt just essentially be a sleeping bag?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Sadly yes. ;(

Some people still like them I hear, but its a bummer

-Tim

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"As a big and tall guy myself I vote for an XWIDE option"

+100

It's a tough world for us Godzilla sized hikers who have to share our passion with these crack skinny shrimps. I can stand to drop a (ahem) few lbs but diet will never change the fact that I'm a side sleeper who has >sixty something inch shoulder girth. Love my ULSS#3 but I'd prefer to give my money to a U.S. made product and company. Alas I can't find a quilt that will work for me so I'm stuck with fart sacks as my only option.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I'm set on the XWIDE at this point. Took no time at all to convince me they'd more than cover the template cost the first day.

Now just need to go back to drawing dxf in sketchup (what a joke huh)

-Tim

whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

XWIDE indeed! Glad to hear you are veering towards that option.

scree ride

@scree

While your reputation already had me sold, top that with an extra wide and some good karma… It will take me a couple of months but if you build the extra wide, I'll have me one.
    Good karma watching out for your competitors. I prefer buying from conscientious independents. It helps my karma. Actually though, putting a zipper on a quilt isn't exclusive and was probably the precursor to sleeping bags.
    If you want to hit the heavy weight crowd, build a heavy weight quilt. A lot of folks dislike zippers. I like sticking my feet out. It helps to regulate heat. Zippers are rough.
    that said, some do like zippers and as an option it makes sense. Make some zippered shells. quasi sleeping bags.
    When I bought my mummy, I searched all over for a lightweight bag I could open up. There weren't any. No quilts. For increasing your market, it's all about awareness. Once folks know they have the option of a quilt, they will come. If you increase your market, ZPacks market should increase as well. It isn't about stepping on toes, it's about expanding the market. Going mainstream.
    Just don't get too big, I'd have to go somewhere else.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I know that the discussion is now on an XWide-model, but I want to launch even another idea: what about a 2-person model ?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I agree that its less about adding a zipper as it is about market awareness. I just do t know how to create more awareness at this point.

As to double quilts, I'm all over it. I won't be doing a double like Zpacks or Nunatak but I have a modular convertible design in the works. Well see how long it takes to develop.

-Tim

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

That sounds even better if that would mean that you can adapt it for both 1-person or 2-person needs when required.?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

We'll see:)

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Tim, with only an oz. difference in the regular and long sizes for the Enigma's, are you going to offer a in-between size? Is it even worth carrying? Also, I sleep on my side mostly, semi-fetal position, I guess the 5'11", regular width otta work for me at my 6' height, 160 lbs.. Hmm? Still sitting on the fence between yours and brand "X". :) Shipping is extra I believe for your quilts. Thank you for filling us all in on news about your quilts.

Duane
    Width of instock Enigmas?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Duane,

All Ready to ship Enigmas are Reg or Long

I won't do 3" height increments. That's too many templates to deal with

If you're over 5'11" get the long in the Enigma. The revelation series footbox can fit above my rating as its flexible but the enigma 5'11" fits only to 5'11".

-Tim

Roger Coffey
    BPL Member

@tachus1

Locale: Southeast

My Enigma 20 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow (actually today as I'm up late with 2 sick kidos). I'll be glad to give a little looksy over for anyone interested. Might be able to do a mini review in the house. Won't have any backcountry time until the first weekend of December when it's hitting the trail in Colorado for some snow shoeing. I'm hoping to push it's limits.
    My other quilts include a Nunatak Arc Expedition and a Golite 1+ season.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I forgot to ask, does the listed weight include all the straps, stuff sack etc.? I'm focused on the listed weight in the chart. (Almost a 9 oz. savings over my WM Caribou bag), summer use. :(
    Duane

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools