Topic

Backpack repair question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Backpack repair question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Hi,

After many years, one of the stays has poked a hole all the way through the bottom of my (otherwise tough) Mountainsmith Ghost pack. And it looks like the other stay has been busy as well, trying to poke its way through the other side of the pack.

How would you repair and/or reinforce your pack where the stays like to poke through?

– Elizabeth

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Because of the location of the holes, I think it would be very difficult to repair by yourself with a regular "home" sewing machine… perhaps you could bring your own materials to a shoe repair place or an upholsterer and have them do the work for you.

If so, I would attach a piece of thick faux leather around the bottom half-inch of each stay (blunting the end of the stay), then have them sew a nice thick nylon cordura patch over each side of the pack's bottom, where the stays poked holes.

Alternatively, you could contact Mountainsmith's customer service, and see what they might charge to repair it for you…

Anonymous
    Inactive

That no sew, heat bonding/fusing stuff for fabric seems to be quite strong and durable stuff. You know, the stuff you use an iron on?

Perhaps get a heavy duty piece of nylon and bond it on the pack using the above?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

A picture would help.

I suspect reinforcing the interior stay sleeve would require taking out some stitching and adding material with a speedy stitcher or heavy needle. Slow, but effective. You might be able to laminate some cordura or 2" flat webbing in using seam grip if sewing is too much bother.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

shoepatchBring some cordura nylon.

Otherwise rip out the main seams on the pack (a real project with bound seams) so you can get the pack under a standard sewing machine.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Hand stitch it using a speed stitch as someone else suggested. If you go slow and steady you'll have a great repair, even with no experience. Machines are nice but for small repairs they're often not worth the trouble.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools