Topic

Bristlecone Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bristlecone Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I recieved my Bristlecone bivy from Katabatic Gear the other day. My first impressions were…HOLY!! WOW!! WTF??? It came delivered USPS in soft packed protected envelope. I opened it up and I knew I was gonna love it right away. Excellent craftsmanship, I am talking top notch work. This bivy is beatiful. I ordered the 6' right zipper regular width. I immediatly pitched it in my yard with my pad and quilt and lay inside it. There is ample room for myself and any gear, and then some. I absolutly love this bivy and I cant wait to use it on my future trips. Thankyou everyone who chimed in and helped me with my decision.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Glad you like it Joe. I slept in mine on Saturday night underneath an old grizzled Juniper tree in lieu of a tarp.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I checked out the Bristlecone bivy online. Very nice for 3 season use and close to what I want but not my idea of "the perfect bivy".
    That bivy, for my own very specific purposes, would ONLY be used in winter snow shelters.

My "Perfect Bivy"

1. eVent top and silnylon or maybe GTX bottom.

2. full length zipper

3. room inside for my Thermarest Trail Pro mattress and a large synthetic bag

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Interested. How do you think the Bristlecone Bivy would do with an EE Rev X quilt? The quilt is rather square-ish on the bottom and I'm wondering if the Bristlecone would work better with a tight mummy style bag, rather than a square-ish quilt?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I own the Bristlecone Bivy. I don't think you would have any problem at all. It's quite roomy in the Regular size (which I own) but if you were a little concerned they have the wide version which has 68" of girth at the foot end.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

The Bristlecone is quite roomy. I set it up with my GG torso pad and my EE prodigy 20 degree quilt and I felt there was plenty of room to spare. I am not a small guy either, I am 5'10 and weigh in about 220 lbs. I have not spent the night in it just yet but I did lay out in it for some time and for me, it was perfect amount of room. There is a wide version, but I imagine that must be huge.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools