Topic

Fire starters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Fire starters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but here goes. I'm planning on making dryer lint and Vaseline fire starters and was wondering how much lint and how big the finished product should be. Thanks

Doug

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I've never used lint, but I use cotton balls and vaseline. One cotton ball is just right for getting a fire started. I put them in a hard sided container (a pill bottle) so I can shove and compress a lot of them in there.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I have used both but like Cotton ball/petro jelly best
    They burn quite well and one is plenty to start a fire.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I agree with the pure cotton/PJ. Dryer lint might have some polyester or wool mixed in with the cotton, which diminishes its proper flamability.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My favorite fire starter is bees wax impregnated tack cloth used for finish carpentry.
    A 3"x3" piece rolled into a cigarette makes a lite, clean and easy fire starter.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A few feet of wax paper is completely mess-free (and can even be used to separate a sooty pot from other stuff) and you can use as much or as little as you need each time based on the conditions. A square inch or two under really dry twigs. A dollar-bill-sized piece for bigger twigs. Roll and kink a tube for a longer-lasting one, etc. For the multi-purposers among us, you can use wax paper (or aluminum foil) to catch drips off a snow field or tarp for drinking water. Instant funnel.

Someone posted two weeks ago about filling each compartment of a cardboard egg carton with a tablespoon of wax and cutting out 12 fire starters. I tried it and while not SUL, it made a REALLY effective fire starter – for wetter or bigger wood. I buy big, ugly candles at the thrift store for 25 cents and keep them around as a cheap source of wax.

The SDUL (super-duper ultralight) method is to harvest your own belly-button lint and impregnate it with your own ear wax. NO added pack weight AND you reduce your skin-out weight with each use.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Someone posted two weeks ago about filling each compartment of a cardboard egg carton with a tablespoon of wax and cutting out 12 fire starters. I tried it and while not SUL, it made a REALLY effective fire starter – for wetter or bigger wood.

For a somewhat lighter version of that, use the small paper cups found at condiment stations with pump dispensers (cylinders approx 1 inch tall and 1 inch diameter). Doesn't pack the quite as many BTU's as the egg carton version but still works pretty well.

I'm not sure if esbit tabs have been mentioned but they work pretty well also.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

While not directly on-topic, I use a trick birthday candle for lighting my fires, whether in a fire ring or in my wood-burning stove. It lights quickly using my lighter and then I'm not reaching down under my carefully crafted fire and trying to flick my Bic.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Esbit make good fire starters too. Maybe overkill for most situations, but when the woods is very wet and I'm cold I will use one.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

one trick with PJ ballz is to put the PJ in the microwave for a short time or otherwise carefully heat it up to liquid form … and then dip most of the ball into is, leaving out some to fluff up to catch sparks

here is someone demonstrating nuked PJ balls in the rain …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTano_saGo&feature=player_embedded

;)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

One tip if you decide to use lint. Remove it from your navel first. Don't ask me how I know….

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

I was also wondering how long a petroleum ball stays lit compared to a esbit tab and if dog hair in the lint matters much.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"if dog hair in the lint matters much."

You know the expression, "Smells like a wet dog."?

Smelling like a burning dog is worse.

When I've had my flesh cauterized or gotten defoliated in small fuel-air explosions, it smells much better upwind.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools