Topic

Foot odor — just deal with it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Foot odor — just deal with it?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Luymes Ted

@start2day

Locale: So Cal.

Okay. We all know how bad it can get just a day or two out. Is there any way of lessening this problem without adding something (and its weight and volume) to my pack?

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

Two pairs of socks–one to wear, the other drying out on your pack. Wash your feet and socks at a convenient stream.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

No, no way. But carry those disposable ethanol tissue wipes; they totally remove the odor in one application.. and work well elsewhere.
    Worth the weight if you are not traveling alone.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Feet stink varies person to person.

For me, Pete's solution of daily washing feet / socks and switching between a part of socks worked well with any socks I tried.

I found that I needed less than that: washing my feet daily and switching between a pair of odor resistant socks (wool or coolmax + xstatic) was good enough provided the socks not being worn got some sun and fresh air (no washing required).

I know at least one person whose feet are so stinky that their only choice is to either have a pair of socks for each day (and have an Aloksak odor proof bag to store the toxic socks) or to live with the smell.

Some people have reported that using sandals helped, but that didn't make my feet significantly less stinky. I went back to highly breathable train runners.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I agree with Pete. I use two old electrical alligator clips tied to a small piece of line and hang wet socks on my pack while I'm hiking. A little Brommers/water in a small Ziploc – agitate and wring dry. This works well with clothing also. I'm sorry ultra-lighters. But I have a set of hiking clothes and camp clothes. I like to feel clean when I hit the hay.

Happy smells

Dave

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Wash your feet at least once daily. You should have something in your pack to clean up hopefully? If so, then you have something to wash your feet.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Something people don't think about…athlete's foot. You might not know you have it, and parking feet in sweaty shoes all day can cause a flare up. It also can cause a real stink fest.
    So, it never hurts before trips to start up a regime of treatment-and yes, Minimus carries tiny packets of the stuff to take in a first aid kit.
    But most of all, switching socks really does help.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Amputate.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I like Jhon's idea :P

I use thin wool trail running socks, either defeet or smartwool,(for some reason, I havent had as much smell problems after switching to wool socks instead of synthetic) combined with super breathable trail running shoes. (my pick: salomon XA pro 3D)

also, whenever I take a break for longer than 5 mins, I take off my shoes and socks too let them breathe. the lacing on the salomons is nice because IT is fast to tie and untie.

the thing about mesh shoes is that it does allow some dirt and dust to get in (keeps gravel and mulch out) It is in some ways nice because it gives you a reminder that you need to clean your socks and feet (I try to do this at least daily) when you might otherwise forgett

the best thing for your feet, as far as avoiding fungus and smell, is to keep them clean and dry, and whenever possible, give them oxygen (leave the goretex for the snow only)

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Resurrecting this old thread with a new idea

Winning the genetic lottery, I enjoy record breaking foot funk after 4 or 5 days.  I’ve been able to control it by:

• Vinegar spray at home gives boots a reset, killing the bacteria
    • Carbon based odour eaters
    • washing and drying feet daily
    • wool socks (darn toughs)

My new boots won’t fit odour eaters so the dragon returns after 4 or 5 days and I have a 10 day coming up.

Has anyone tried powdered vinegar on trail?  This might be a great way to truly “LNT”!

Has anyone tried this?  So far the only dehydrated vinegars I can find are mixed with corn starch so no go and I’m trying to avoid the weight of liquid sprays.

Understandably quick dry trail runners are a better answer but my trashed feet and ankles are not yet ready for these, maybe in the future

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I had a bad problem with foot odor for a while… when to the hardware store and bought a gallon (or two) of alcohol… soaked my boots in it for a couple of days… problem solved… apparently bacteria was thriving in that pair of boots.. but I think I had to repeat this periodically…  also switched to wool socks from synthetic…

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I’ll echo the comment about fungus. I can smell feet that have severe fungus, which might be what you’re experiencing. Before starting, making sure you don’t have any active fungus, and regularly using an anti-fungal topical on the trip will help.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

After you’ve soaked your boots in the alcohol, can you use it for stove fuel?

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

After soaking boots in alcohol, the remaining alcohol will likely be discolored and dirty. I have no idea how alcohol stoves work, but I bet that residual alcohol will burn.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

alcohol

I haven’t tried this, but I would think that swabbing your boots with alcohol would be similar to your vinegar spray. The main idea is to kill bacteria/fungi. So liquid alcohol in a tiny spray bottle (like a perfume atomizer) or just hand sanitizer on a cloth.

Or, sure, try your vinegar powder. It has the advantage of being dehydrated. It is acidic; I don’t know whether that will be a long-term issue.

In addition to keeping your feet clean and dry, you also want your boots to dry as much as possible. It can be challenging in humid weather. Removing the insoles at night can help.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Water penetrates the cell walls and serves as a carrier for the alcohol. 70% is more effective than 90% alcohol as a disinfectant. I don’t know about vinegar.
    I would change the boots out to something more breathable.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I’ve used vinegar on shoes/boots for odor. IT works, but I walked around smelling like salad dressing for a day. Vegan women suddenly found me attractive.

I’ve also used those carbon odor eaters for shoes. I’ve somehow misplaced them tho. Glad to be reminded of them.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

You won’t smell the foot funk over the patchouli oil.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

It might not be just a simple choice of boots vs trail runners that are more breathable…. it seems that some fabrics/materials just hold and grow critters better than others. If you very much prefer boots, you might find a pair of boots made with different materials that do not tend to grow critters. How you do that, I don’t know other than trial and error. Besides dealing with the critters growing in the footwear, you might try to deal with the source… try killing the critters on your feet… not sure how to do that, but maybe see a dermatologist????

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

DWR D,  are you referring to a Denatured Alcohol solvent or standard rubbing alcohol? And what brought you to the conclusion to soak your boots in a highly flameable and strong odored solvent? If you don’t mind me asking.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

It’s been a few years… but I think it was regular rubbing alcohol… they stuff they sell in drug stores to kill germs… but I found it by the gallon at the hardware store… I think. Why? Alcohol kills germs, including bacteria that makes stink.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Well, you had mentioned hardware store and you hadn’t defined which alcohol. Denatured alcohol is used in the paint and coatings industry as a hot coatings reducer. Something you would find at a hardware store, in gallons. One of these alcohols you can put on skin, the other may take skin off. One has an inert odor to it, the other has a blinding odor. I pretty much figured you meant rubbing alcohol. But others may not have known the difference in meaning, and blindly went out to soak their shoes for days in a highly flammable and dangerous reducer from their local hardware store. Just looking out.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

They are both highly flammable and toxic. And… I believe can both be used to sterilize… we are talking soaking boots; not soaking skin…

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Thanks for the ideas everyone.  I’ll treat my feet for a week leading up to my next trip it has to help.

Alcohol is harsh on leather so I use vinegar, and Lowa recommends vinegar as well.  Recommendations vary from 50/50 to 4:1 water:vinegar

I use 50/50 and it works well, takes a while for the funk to return.   Bonus points for removing shoes end of day and getting a hankering for potato chips.

The best solution I’ve found has been Dr Scholl Odor Eaters, they really work, and for a long time.  I use in my other footwear including winter hiking boots, but they take up too much precious room in my 3 season boots, which were the widest I could find.

I tried freezing my footwear (freezing kills much though not all the bacteria), its not nearly as effective as the vinegar spray.

If anyone knows of a source of powdered vinegar without additive (corn starch etc), thanks very much in advance.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools