Topic

Trail shoes for wide, flat feet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail shoes for wide, flat feet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I'm looking for suitable replacements for my beloved Cascadia 5's. Basically, I want a flat footbed (arch built into the shoe is uncomfortable for me) with a generous toebox. I wouldn't say my feet aren't hugely fat, just wide in front and narrow in the heel. The Cascadia 5's have worked out despite being a regular width (they don't come in wide).

Thoughts? I noticed that REI has the Cascadia 7's on their closeout outlet website. They look a little promising given their asymmetrical lacing design, I just hope they didn't raise the flat footbed on the 5's.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I have the same issue and have been very happy with the Innov-8 Rocklite 315's. I put in an after-market footbed from REI and they have worked out great.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I have found that shoes are designed with a pointed toe. Who's foot ends in a point? Ridiculous.

Altra has the right idea. Their entire line has plenty of room in the footbox and has a flat footbed. I love them, and one of my feet is an EE-wide, which is super fat.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Just to say that I have worn the Inov 315's and I found the room in the toe box ok, but nothing more then that. For more room, try the Roclite 295 (produced up to 2012 although I'm under the impression that I would toke a size larger then before for current sizing) or the Trailroc-models.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

I use Asics in double wide- the model changes with the year, but they are something like the 2150/60/70. I do not have flat feet but love the width- not sure if they would work for flat feet as well? I leave them untied while I hike, and do not use socks to give my feet more room.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Not the lightest on the market, but my wife and I have been happy with Merrell Moab Ventilators for many years. They make half-sizes and they come in regular and wide. My pair of 11W have a nice, big toe-box and don't squeeze my wide, flat forefoot at all.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

My feet are skinny where they can be called canoes but the Wildcats have an unbelievably roomy toe box.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Trekstas have been great for me, with an 11 wide foot. Normally I have to size up to an 11.5 just to get my feet in, but the way Trekstas are designed, with their Nestfit, is brilliant. YMMV.

http://www.trekstausa.com/

From the Treksta site:
    NestFit Technology

TrekSta shoes with NestFIT technology conform to your feet, not to convention.

The NestFIT system cradles your feet in comfort, accounting for every contour as it follows the natural flow and design of the foot.

We studied detailed scans of 20,000 feet in order to get these contours exactly right.

Upper, insole, midsole and outsole work together to provide pressure-free support.

NestFIT lets your toes spread out naturally for better balance and zero crowding.

M

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Try reading some of our reviews of New Balance shoes.
    All the ones I have reviewed are 4E width, and I utterly HATE arch supports.

Cheers

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Skeptical that 20,000 scans of feet would yield anything. Feet are different for everyone. Different toe lengths, different widths, different arches, pronators, supinators, etc…

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Max,
    I was too, but they are super comfortable. Try some out and see for yourself. Everyone is different, though. The Treksta brand just works for me.

M

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I moved from Cascadias to Altra Superiors for the same reasons listed. Love em.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

+1 for Inov-8s, just stay away from the "performance last" lines of their shoes. The Roclite 315s are marginal for wide feet, as another commenter mentioned. I've had good luck with the old good ones: Flyroc 310s and Terroc 330s. They were some of the first shoes Inov-8 made, and catered to a pretty wide foot from what I can tell.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Keen shoes/boots have the widest toe box that I know of; they're roomy in the foot area too. I also just tried on a pair of Teva Kimtah 2 mids. Roomy toe box, a bit narrower in the foot, but still wider than, say, Asolos.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

Another vote for Altras. I think you will be pleased.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

I tried Keens before but they just felt well…too klunky and not very durable. I feel like running shoe manufacturers like Brooks make a better trail shoe. I will definitively have to look into the Altras. Didn't Ryan Jordan wear them at some point?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

>+1 for Inov-8s, just stay away from the "performance last" lines of their shoes. The >Roclite 315s are marginal for wide feet, as another commenter mentioned. I've had good >luck with the old good ones: Flyroc 310s and Terroc 330s. They were some of the first >shoes Inov-8 made, and catered to a pretty wide foot from what I can tell.

Terroc's were my first Inov's too, but on my second pair, the so-called Terra-shank popped out after only a few weeks. Maybe I was unlucky, but I thought you should know that.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

David: the first time I tried on a pair of Keens they got an instant thumbs down from me. I walked around in the store a bit and really didn't like the feel. A season later, with more toenails having fallen off from long downhills, I tried the Keens again. As it turns out, I've come to like the fit. I did have to learn how to lace them for better mid sole fit. My toe bumping problem is gone, which is the main thing.

As for durability, I can only say that my pair lasted fine through this past season and look to have at least another season left in them.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I have been using Keen Voyaguers for years in harsh desert conditions and they both hold up well and are stiff enough for really rocky conditions. Tried a pair of their Alamosa's (I think now discontinued) and they are not the same last, narrower. I am interested in their new Marshall for wetter conditions, it looks to be the same last but I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet.

I have a pair of Terroc 330's and they are not wide enough for me.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Did you try them first or did you buy them (e.g. online) without trying ?

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

"Did you try them first or did you buy them (e.g. online) without trying ?"

The Alamosa's and Terroc's I ordered online, the Voyaguers I tried on initially in store.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

I owned some Keens for a while called the "Bend" which I liked, although I feel like the cushioning in the midsole gave way too quickly.

I tried the Alamosa or Voyageurs (can't remember) at home, and didn't like them. The footbed wasn't flat and had an arch that hurt the bottom of my foot. I've since written off Keens as casual shoes, not series trail shoes. I've been much happier with my Cascadia 5's.

Regarding the Altra's, between the Superiors and the Lone Peak 1.5's, what is the difference? I had a hard time figuring from the website the primary differences, aside from weight.

McDowell Crook
    BPL Member

@mcdcrook

Locale: Southeast

Altra Lone Peaks are great for wide feet.
    a

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

"The Alamosa's and Terroc's I ordered online"

That could be important (even crucial), because I needed to try several sizes before I found the right shoe and I finally took a size which was at least 1,5 sizes bigger then normal.

Shoes … so personal.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Are the Lone Peaks more durable than the Superiors?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools