Topic

Which topo map is Clearer?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Which topo map is Clearer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I'm trying to upgrade the topo maps I put in my recent San Gorgonio Wilderness Trails post.

Which topo map is clearer?

EDIT:
    Well, crap. Apparently, BPL's highly advanced (ahem) html parser doesn't like my URL's and won't allow me to include the jpgs directly. You can go to the above linked post. The first map is of the new type. The subsequent maps are of the old type.

Feedback appreciated if you have a moment.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hi Jim,

I think all seven are fine. If I had to choose, I like Dry Lake's the least but again, it's perfectly fine. My eyes are not what they used to be so it's easier for me to get the information off of the Grinnell Mtn, Momyer Creek, and Forsee maps.

The Grand Tour map was at a larger scale than the others so I don't think it's a fair comparison to anything else you had in your article.

What program/websites are you using for these maps?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Apparently, BPL's highly advanced (ahem) html parser doesn't like my URL's"

Jim –
    Use a Tiny URL instead. It's simple enough for even BPL to figure out.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

> Use a Tiny URL instead. It's simple enough for even BPL to figure out.

Smacks head. Of course! Duh! Thanks, Greg.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The new one is easier to read. The shading on the old one easily gives a sense of what the terrain is like. Being able to read it is more important,IMO.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Interesting. I couldn't see the two maps on Jim's response above from my Mac using Chrome. Switched to Safari and I can see them just fine.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Here's what I've come up with (below). I think it's a real improvement over the first "generation."

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

George Ramsdell
    BPL Member

@ghramsdell

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What mapping software are you using?

Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools