Topic

PCT 2014

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists PCT 2014

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"In part, the question relates to your resupply plan — i.e., Kearsarge pass or not, climbing Whiteney or not, MTR vs. VVR, etc."

To extend this from Brian's post, I would say that before you acquire a bear canister, you need to know how much volume you need in a bear canister, and that is generally a function of how many days you will be out between resupply points, such as the long piece from around Mount Whitney up to MTR. If you say that is going to be ten days, then that means something. If you say that is going to be only three days, then that means something totally different. If you know that you can eat OK on 100 cubic inches of packed food, then that means something. If you don't know how much volume your packed food is, then that is a problem.

For short trips, I use a Bear Boxer or else a Bear Vault 450. For longer trips, I use a Bear Vault 500. You never want to have to carry more than one at a time, although it might be possible to switch between different ones during a trip by use of a bounce box.

–B.G.–

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

I would like to carry obviously the lightest and smallest possible. So I would not resupplying more often than normal through the sierra if this let me carry a lighter, and more importantly for my pack, a smaller can. But there are really long stretches through the Sierra that have no resupply correct?

I will be hiking likely around 25 miles a day (hopefully) if this means anything.

I am a bit worried that my pack (MLD Prophet) will not be able to carry a can. I usually have quite a bit of room left in the pack but I have never had to deal with a can.

Clint

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Actually, if you can do 20 or 25 miles a day and are willing to camp at the existing bear boxes, then you don't need a bear canister at all.

Last time I checked with SEKI thru hikers are allowed to use the steel bear boxes for overnight storage. Outside the bear canister required areas you are allowed to hang your food from trees… but that also limits your camp selections somewhat…

you can google SEKI bear box locations… they are on a map ….

there are also web sites devoted to PCT/JMT hikers that relate to this issue…

Bill D.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Relating to this comment:
    "Actually, if you can do 20 or 25 miles a day and are willing to camp at the existing bear boxes, then you don't need a bear canister at all."

Typically folks that are doing in the 20 – 25 MPD range in 'normal' terrain find themselves doing less through the Sierras in June. Snow, to include strategizing so as to not posthole a lot in the afternoons, plus the common strategy of "one pass per day" — these tend to drop the daily mileage.

If beyond the slower-in-snow plus "try not to posthole much" and pass-distribution factors you add the requirement to sleep in one of the limited places that offer a bear locker, I think you end up with too many constraints. I would encourage you to carry a (large enough) canister. Mail it to KM (Kennedy Meadows) already pre-packed (carefully, densely) with food. Mail it home from, say, one of the towns you can hitch to from Sonora Pass.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"Actually, if you can do 20 or 25 miles a day and are willing to camp at the existing bear boxes, then you don't need a bear canister at all.

Last time I checked with SEKI thru hikers are allowed to use the steel bear boxes for overnight storage. Outside the bear canister required areas you are allowed to hang your food from trees… but that also limits your camp selections somewhat…

you can google SEKI bear box locations… they are on a map ….

there are also web sites devoted to PCT/JMT hikers that relate to this issue…"

A very strong THRU hiker can get through SEKI without a canister but few would be able to do North Yosemite in a day and there are no boxes.

Howie Schwartz

@howiemtnguide

Locale: Eastern Sierra

If you do go with a bear canister, we rent bearikade canisters at Sage to Summit in Bishop, CA. We also sell quite a few ultralight products if you need to resupply. http://www.sagetosummit.com.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

kilt should be 1.9oz.
    exoficio underwear should go in clothing worn.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools