Topic

Bighorn Mountains Wyoming

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Bighorn Mountains Wyoming

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    albert gordon
    Spectator

@mahiker

I am planning a hiking trip to the Cloud Peak Wilderness area in Wyoming for mid August and need suggestions. We want to get away from the horse packing crowd into some decent above treeline trout fishing. Any advice on trails and lakes to fish would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

While you are around that area, drive down to Tensleep and drop past the Brokenback Creek (N 44.084181°, W 107.517364°) that flows into Nowood River – north-west of Tensleep, WY. Nowood used to have good fishing there.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

The fishing in the bighorns is fantastic. Some of the best lake fishing around. You can expect to find fish in most of the alpine lakes I think. By best fishing do you want the most/easiest fish to catch or the most challenging? As far as getting away from the outfitters up there, camp off trail 200' or more and travel off trail as much as possible. The outfitter camps are obvious, so you should be able to scoot right by them and find your own camp. Stay off pack trails if possible, these should be designated on the USGS Quads for the area.
    HTH
    Ryan

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would second the fishing in the bighorns. When I was growing up, we stopped carrying "normal" food when in the bighorns. Just brought things to be served with the trout we would reliably catch and a pole.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools