Topic

More down jacket talk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) More down jacket talk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Steve Zavoda
    BPL Member

@anotherdyemention

Locale: NE Ohio

Mine narrowed my search down to three jackets.
    The golite demaree hooded jacket 16 oz 800 fill down and 4 oz of fill
    The golite Selkirk 6 oz 800 fill down 70 g of fill
    And the montbell UL parka 9 oz 800 fill down 2.5 oz of fill

After reading, I kinda feel like the demaree would be overkill. I'm in NE Ohio and planning on backpacking down to 30 degrees. I have a 20 degree down back and will also be bringing a mid weight base layer for sleeping and use while in camp. I'll also already have in a LW base layer as well as a windshirt. And of course I'll have a rain shell, gloves, and a hat.
    From what I read in here, that should be more than enough warmth options for down to 30. I hate to carry an extra 9 oz (demaree) when I can get away with 6 or 9. I just don't have the firsthand knowledge about what would be acceptable. I car camp in the winter every year but not so concerned with being cold when my car is ten feet away.
    Thanks
    I may also consider the MB EX light but that's the most expensive. I'd rather keep it under 150.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

If you fit a size XL, this is hard to beat.

http://www.campsaver.com/alpine-light-down-jacket-2012-men-s

Edit: fixed link

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I just bought a backcountry.com anorak. 7.5 oz in medium and roughly 130 bucks. Used it on a cold night and am really liking forward to using it more.

Steve Zavoda
    BPL Member

@anotherdyemention

That still has 4 oz of fill and weighs more than twice what the Selkirk weighs. Just not sure if I need that much extra insulation

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I just dropped by Uniqlo last night to check out how their ultralight down jackets are.

They are, in a word, nice and befitting of the ultralight title. I don't know exactly how heavy the men's hooded are but they are definitely well under 1 lb, perhaps even 10oz. Uniqlo quotes the women's large hooded parka as being 206g.

They're also only $70 for the hooded version, which has just enough hood volume to (barely) fit a climbing helmet or a warm hat. Sizing is similar to Patagonia "regular fit". I wear a medium in most brands and with a heavy 300wt fleece on I was still able to comfortably wear a medium Uniqlo parka.

If you are a 3-season backpacker looking to add a little extra warmth to your clothing system this is probably a good one to look into.

As a winter backpacker I think it wouldn't do enough to justify the weight as I'd much rather snuggle into my (albeit much heavier at 21oz) Patagonia Fitzroy. Even then I'm considering the Uniqlo hooded down parka as a belay jacket for rock climbing into the late fall and early spring since it is small and light and would carry easily on my harness.

Steve Zavoda
    BPL Member

@anotherdyemention

Do you happen to know what kind of fill they use? It just says 90% down and 10% feathers.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

Yes, they claim minimum of 640 fill or higher. However, there's a lot of speculation that they are probably not using the American standard of fill power calculation since the down appears such high quality that it's more like 750 by the American standard.

That said, it is a pretty skinny jacket so they aren't using that much fill either. Competitors in this space like the Patagonia Ultralight Down Jacket (much more expensive, btw), appear to have similar loft but a noticeable amount of overfill.

Apparently they are using nice fabric, from Toray.

Some more information can be found on BPL…
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Abackpackinglight.com+uniqlo

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Stephen,

My Uniqlo hooded down jacket weighs 10.5oz in an XL size IIRC. It's a terrific jacket for $70.

Ryan

Steve Zavoda
    BPL Member

@anotherdyemention

Hey Ryan, do you feel your jacket would be warm enough in say 30* with a midweight base layer and a windshirt on? Possibly another lightweight base and a rain shell. That's basically what I need this for. Like my OP, I don't want too heavy a jacket and I'm thinking the 4oz fill is overkill. So this sounds nice but not sure about the warmth.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I have the Uniqlo jacket. it's nice and warm for an outing, but I found it not warm enough for 30º at rest with a baselayer.

For the weight and price, it's great. I use it as a travel jacket and casual jacket, but I wouldn't call it a serious jacket for camping in winter unless it's to supplement something else.

However, if I had to, Baselayer + Fleece + Uniqlo + Shell could probably do for mild winters. I haven't had it that long (about a week) but it's been used down to 22º out here.

Lance Stalnaker
    Spectator

@katangi

You may plan on backpacking/camping down to 30, but you are in NE Ohio, I would be prepared for worse than advertised weather here. Better safe than sorry, you know what the weather is like here, 65 one afternoon and 25 that night, I have backpacked in southern OH in shorts and 60 degree weather in the Fall only to get snow and temps in the low 20's at night. I would think about it and consider your experiences here assuming you are from here. I have had temps swing 20 or more degrees from what the forecast called for and had rain when none was expected and been hot when it was supposed to be called and dry when it called for horrible storms.

I would go for one of each, I have about 4 of each…good luck!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I thought it would get below 0f lot in Ohio as I have seen -13f in Michigan on trips and many nights of -5f in a row.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Steve-

At rest in 30 deg weather, it would be close with the other clothes you mentioned and the Uniqlo jacket. Maybe. It's a great jacket for the money, but it's noticeably less warm than my Montbell UL down jacket. Probably ~5 deg less warm or more.

Ryan

Steve Zavoda
    BPL Member

@anotherdyemention

You're absolutely right Lance. I've been here my whole life and they forecast is only right half the time. Actually to the point that I've jus stopped checking it for some time now. So you've helped me make my mind up on the golite demaree parka. It's affordable, warm, and only weighs 1.3 oz more than the MB alpine light. And believe me, I wish I could get one of each jacket. But I have a one year old baby, bills, and limited funds. So I gotta find gear that I can get the most use out of. Unfortunately, it appears that I'll have to sacrifice a bit of weight savings to do that. But no biggie. As long as I get out. That's all that really matters.

And yes it can get pretty cold up here. Doesn't drop below zero very often but that's pretty much January and February. I'd only plan on late November and possibly a nice weekend in December.
    Thanks everyone

Lance Stalnaker
    Spectator

@katangi

I do not think you will be sorry you went warmer. Golite makes some nice, light and affordable gear. I almost bought that same jacket, but just figured I have enough. I have packed my MH phantom on more than one trip I thought I would not need it and did here in OH, and remember, standing around in it for hours is a lot different than going from the car to the store and back. Ohio has some crazy weather, enjoy it.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

the Ex Light Down Jacket is also on sale in all sizes,if you don't mind the color choices. Here is Sticks first impression of his new Ex Light with video so you can see the fit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools