Topic

Torres del Paine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Torres del Paine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

I am looking for pointers and information on hiking Torres Del Paine/W trek. Ordered "Lonely Planet Trekking in the Patagonian Andes (Walking) by Carolyn Mccarthy", what else?

I have little experience traveling outside the US, so I may be missing some obvious things. Printed books, forums, web sites, everything would be helpful. I did find some good reports here and using these.

Thanks!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

While the W is awesome, my friend and I agreed that we would have been disappointed to only do the W. It only takes a few more days but is oh so worth it!!!

If you do end up only doing the W, make sure you make it up to the camp/Refugio at Grey
    Go as far up the French valley as you can
    No matter how tired you are, get up before dawn and hike to the Torres to watch the sunrise. It was epic.

I have a trip report posted at backpackerPT.com

I would also recommend the singing lamb hostel in puerto Natales. It was a most perfect place to stay before and after the trek.

Chile is way more expensive then you think.

Make sure you don't think of it as a wilderness trip but rather an "international trek." Since you don't have much experience with international travel and "trekking," just watch your expectations…it is a very, very different experience.

Tents

The campgrounds are crowded (on the W…not so much the backside of the circuit), the toilets are sometimes really gross, but people are super friendly, the hiking is pretty easy but literally mind blowing, and all in all it's a trip of a lifetime.

Feel free to PM for more specific questions…I love talking about my trips :)

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

Thank you! Looking at the trip report.

(and the knee info, as somebody who runs 4-5 miles every work day for the last 6 years)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools