Topic

Backcountry chairs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backcountry chairs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James Walton
    BPL Member

@backcountryasm

Locale: south

Anyone ever seen this one before? I have seen variations on this theme but this thing is only 10 oz. What do you all think?

http://store.kifaru.net/field-chair-p27.aspx

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Yes, that design has been around for a while… Personally, I wouldn't consider it (and I own SEVERAL different backcountry chairs) because it seems to have the worst of all worlds. You're basically sitting/lying on the floor with no padding (just a a strip of nylon under you) and the back is so low, that you can't really "sit".

Unlike many other backcountry chairs, you couldn't operate a stove while sitting in it (not without doing gymnastics), you're not off the (damp) ground, etc..

I think I'd rather just sit on my ground cloth and lean back on my pack (0 added ounces!), which would be just a tad more comfortable than this chair.

Of course, I really can't speak to its use as a sniper support…Rifle support

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

My only problem is that a layer of only nylon would get pretty soaked on wet ground and may not be comfortable.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

I have the Kifaru chair–and a homemade version that weighs a little over 6 oz. The homemade version is one of my favorite luxury items to carry. The trick for making it comfortable is to use a folded Z-rest sleeping pad against the back and a smaller pad (Z-seat, etc) to sit on. Since I'm using a short Z-rest and a Z-seat anyway (as part of my sleeping setup) the only extra I'm carrying is the 6oz chair.

Note: Kifaru doesn't market this chair very well IMHO–their photo's only show the support legs in a low (short) position– they actually adjust much longer. The one I made uses flat/fixed length stays that have a pivoting rivet inserted. This makes it more stable in use.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

When I go ultralight luxury I bring this chair http://www.rei.com/product/829239/. The REI flex lite without the case weights 1lb 9oz. An awsome addition if you are spending a lot of camp time.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Depending on your weight the Grand Trunk micro stool is very nice.
    With some adjustments mine weighs 9oz on the nose.
    Great for setting under a tarp in the rain, cooking a meal or on lunch layovers.
    Anyway my .02

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

The ground is free.

Barring that, I love my Thermarest Z-Lite seat. I use it while sleeping too.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

Logs, rocks, my pack. Never saw the need for a stool or chair backpacking.

Snow melting duties in the N. Cascades:

Dinner time in the N. Cascades:

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A hammock. Can sleep in it also. Works great when in treed areas.

Google Jerry chair for a twist on the Kifaru. Uses trekking poles as support.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools