Topic

Bristlecone Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bristlecone Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Anyone around here own and use a Katabatic Bristlecone bivy? I read a few reviews that I found on here and on the internet, I'm looking to see if there are any new reviews or updates from previous reviews about it.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have one and use it a fair amount. What do you want to know?

Benjamin Kelley
    BPL Member

@benjamin-kelley

Locale: Midwest

I've had mine since May of 2010 and couldn't be happier with it.
    I've used it in all seasons, all conditions. Under tarps, inside tents, shelters, and the backs of trucks. In the back of a Saab wagon with the windows down at a trailhead. I've even bivouaced with it directly under the stars.
    I sleep pad inside, and most of the time with a polycryo ground sheet, the bottom looks like the day I got it.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Would love to know everything. Do you love it? How is the sizeing? what size do you have? How long have you had it? What types of weather do you use it in? Under a tarp? Under the stars(without rain of course)? Anything you dont like about it?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Sorry in advance for the mild thread-jack.

How's the weight and what size do you have? Looking at their large/wide (which I assume would be comparable with a MLD superlight or Borah Gear size zip water resistant bivies) it seems heavy at 9oz compared to the Borah at 7.3 oz (m90) and $85.

I know that sounds more like a statement than a question but I'm genuinely curious about this bivy.

Also, I don't see a lot of BPL traffic about Mont Bell's bivy. They advertise it as being waterproof so possibly something that could be used as a stand-alone alpine bivy?

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=104&p_id=2321027

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have the 6' left zipper. I've had it for about two years now. The quality of construction is as good as it gets, the sewing is flawless. It's generously sized – it has enough room for me to use it with two sleeping pads, my normal quilt, and a synthetic overquilt in the winter. It's also tall enough that with a 6' long pad in it there's still about 10 inches of space above your head to store your headlamp, gloves, etc. If you have a Katabatic quilt, it has a set of 4 D-rings on the inside that are lined up with the pad clips on his quilts, so it's easy to secure your bivy, pad and quilt together to keep stuff from shifting around at night.

My only minor nitpick is that the hang loop for the netting was sewn in such a way that it slightly interfered with the zipper. I bent it back over on itself and put a few hand stitches through it and that fixed it.

The Pertex Quantum top is a good mix of windproofness and breathability. It's very comfortable on windy nights. I sleep out under the stars with it all the time, including one really windy night below the Lyell Glacier in Yosemite, and it kept the drafts off my face and out of my quilt. I haven't had any problems with condensation.

I would buy it again.

EDIT: Mine weighs exactly the spec'd amount, 7.0 oz.

Benjamin Kelley
    BPL Member

@benjamin-kelley

Locale: Midwest

I have the Regular size, Right zipper. Mine weighs in at 192grams. Size wise I use a 6' WM Alpinlite for a bag. I'm 5'11" and have room to spare height wise in it. I weigh 230lb depending on seasons and it is plenty of girth for me. Also I tend to put things in the bivy with me like water bottles and extra clothing, either on the side or above my head.
    Just purchased a thermarest xlite and the extra height does not compress the down in the footbox of the alpinlite, this is one of the reasons I bought the Bristlecone was for future expansion into thicker air mats.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Wow. Great responses. Just what I was looking for Benjam, I too am 5 ft 10 and weigh between 220-225 lbs ish. I wanted the regular size but needed to hear from someone around my size so that I would know for sure. Everyone elses responses were exactly what I needed to hear also. Thankyou all very much..I will be ordering one in the next week or so. Can't wait!!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Great picture by the way, Andrew, and thanks for the info.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

So today, I ordered a 6' right zip Bristlecone bivy. I am really looking forward to useing it this winter, with my Patrol shelter, if needed. Thanks again for you comments and info, made a huge impact on my final decision.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools